“Grease Republicans and God” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
“Grease Republicans and God”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I arrived at Kriner’s Diner expecting a large crowd and maybe a statue of Sarah Palin. Prior reviews refer to a packed house of conservative zealots and religious extremist boasting of planned government take downs and fantasy impeachments of Obama more oft than not. Truthfully, I was please that I would not have to dine in a sea of Conservative humanity. Frankly that shoot from the hip “stand your ground” crowd frightens me. I digress…
I was greeted promptly and cheerfully by a waiter stating “It’s seat yourself”! I found a booth next to the pie display; I had been warned to stay out of the family corner from previous reviews. My server immediately handed me a newspaper. Actually it was a menu; it seemed my look of confusion was amusing to him. After a brief perusal of the tabloid slash menu I settled on the daily Special a Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich and side of Potato Salad. I expected a 10-15 minute wait for my Special. Astonishingly it was exactly 4 minutes and my food was served! That was a little disappointing considering freshly prepared homemade food is what Kriners claims to be. Sadly the disappointments did not stop there. The bun was smashed together and the bacon clearly sat under a heat lamp past its edible life. But even more disappointing the chicken fried steak was so greasy the bun actually liquefied on my plate. The lone bright spot in the pool of grease was the potato salad. Truly a country style salad with the skins left in; the sort of potato salad my great grandmother made weekly.
The food aside, the front of house staff was friendly and certainly is a credit to the establishment. It is not their fault the cooks are sub par. The prices are certainly in line with the surrounding competition. Also I did not see any of the political and religious force feeding I was expecting. Dang it! I was looking forward to that.

Sadly, I will not return to Kriner’s Diner as the food was a calamity. Truthfully I was looking forward to a “old school diner” milkshake and pie experience. Alas I just couldn't bring myself to try anything else with all that grease boiling in my stomach.
My recommendation is; stay away.

• 2 of 5 stars Food

Anchorage, Alaska
“Good Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place doesn't look like much but it is clean and the food was great! Service was terrific and there are plenty of choices. The chicken tenders are so simple but tasted so much better. :) all in all, great experience.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Maryville, Tennessee
“Terrific Hamburger”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

After a wonderful week in Alaska and lots of meals of fresh fish we headed back to Anchorage for our flight home with a craving for a good burger. I always start each trip with a list of eating establishments in each city that we will visit, based on the reviews here on Trip Advisor. But we add another element .... we don't need fancy environment, foo foo food .... we want to know where the locals eat. Best food for the best value with a good clean environment.

After asking several folks that we meet Kriner's Diner was mentioned and recommended several times.

We visited Kriner's on a Saturday and each had a hamburger / cheeseburger (Sam and Jim) .... They were great! Also had the crinkle fries and onion rings, both also very good.

The diner has plenty of parking, as others have mentioned the seating is "find your own seat" ... Our waitress was very nice, gave good service and we enjoyed watching the other wait staff work as efficiently as our waitress.

Pricing was fair and reasonable and the food was excellent ... Note: the regular burgers are large!

We also loved the wait staff's shirts .... Striving to satisfy a solid 75% ..... We consider ourselves in that 75%, very satisfied and if we are ever back in Anchorage we will eat at Kriner's Diner again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
sterling, alaska
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was my first tome to Kriner's Diner and let me tell you the food was awesome. When you walk in the place really doesn't look like much but let me tell you that the food makes up for the lack of decor. My sister had chicken fried steak and eggs, huge portions. I had a burger and that also was a huge awesome tasting burger. My niece had a chicken sandwich that was great. We all left full and satisfied.
I recommend this place is the place to eat while in Anchorage. Also priced right.. The 3 of us ate for $25.00

Canton, Michigan
“Hidden gem in Anchorage - GREAT burgers.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Found this on tripadvisor and, as far down on the list as it was, didn't have great hopes for it. Boy, was I wrong! The menu is actually in newspaper format with great facts about Alaska - very clever and entertaining. The burgers were some of the best burgers we've ever had. My husband says this was his favorite meal in Alaska. Priced very Alaskan (expensive compared to Michigan) but this was one of the meals that you got a lot of food for the Alaskan price. The place is very clearly family-owned and has nice charm but isn't too cluttered. Sadly my son's mac and cheese wasn't homemade (was Kraft) but he enjoyed his meal as well.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere