Along with a group of 21 folks on a post-cruise tour, but independently arranged, we stayed pre-Denali and post-Denali at this hotel. Of the 7 people we knew well, all but one complained about various conditions and those who have gold membership in Hilton or better said it was unlike any Hilton they've stayed in . . . terrible.
1. The air conditioning did not work properly in several rooms. Our first room was so cold that it was unacceptable. Solution: After a second request two hours apart, a maintenance worker came to the room, removed the protective wall paneling and turned off the a/c; then, plugged in a small electric space heater and said in "1/2 hour it be 90 here." We didn't want it 90 and tried to tell him that. He said, "you have fresh air." The window wouldn't open. Naturally, we unplugged the heater promptly.
Two or three other couples had same or reverse problem, i.e. too hot, so he comes in and shuts down the equipment.
2. Non smoking rooms had obviously been smoked in. One person had a severe allergic reaction, being miserable on the trip to Denali. They do not enforce non-smoking rules. I saw a person standing in a non-smoking room with the window open smoking and attempting to wave the smoke outside then throwing the lighted cigarette out onto the roof below (fortunately paved with concrete pavers).
3. Some of the women working the front desk seemed unsuited for meeting public concerns.
4. The rooms we had in the West Tower were shoddy inside . . . carpets old, dirty and smelly in some cases. Wood furniture old and abused . . . one handle on night stand hanging down, finish off, chips from wood etc. Plenty of mildew around grout in bathtub added an interesting "touch of class."
On the plus side: breakfast (not included) was pretty good. Bellmen are very helpful. They work with Holland-America Gray Line tours and are very good about checking in baggage for several hours while we waited to go to the airport late at night.
But, try to stay elsewhere! The Cook seems very nice from walking through, but don't know specifically about the rooms.
The location is good for restaurants . . . walking distance to the Glacier Brew House (moderate and very good) and Simon"s.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the most popular hotels in Anchorage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Priceline, Hilton Hotels, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Hilton Anchorage reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Anchorage Hotel Anchorage
- Hilton Hotel Anchorage
- Anchorage Hilton Hotel