“OK, but a bit run down” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #21 of 70 Hotels in Anchorage
New York, New York, United States
“OK, but a bit run down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Anchorage for 5 nights while there on business. There are some plusses (the beds are comfortable, the staff is very warm and friendly) that I expected of a Hilton, and they delivered as expected. Unfortunately I was a bit surprised by the areas in which the hotel did not live up to the expectations I have of that brand. For one thing, the room was a bit tired: there were areas of water damage, the window was dirtier than I thought was possible, and the decor looked like it was planned in 1975. The other disappointment was the impression I got that they had not quite staffed up enough for their peak season.

Other things to be aware of, not necessarily good or bad, are:
- Internet is very expensive unless you are a gold member or have AT&T service at home (AT&T wireless service does not count).
- Parking is very expensive.
- The hotel was packed, mostly with cruise ship passengers, which gave the place something of a Boca Raton vibe.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Turkish first
Newtown, PA, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Checked into my 2 rooms at 1:00 a.m. and the rooms were not ready even though I called the hotel 1 week in advance to inform them of our late flight arrival. I further called the hotel when we landed to let them know we were on our way. The room still were not ready and one of the rooms, a smoker used before us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Atlanta,GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Anchorage for several days before going to Kodiak. It was my first trip to Alaska. The hotel is in a great spot and you can walk everywhere downtown from it: the museum, the tourist office, great restaurants and the weekend fair is across the street. I went to the gym. It was immaculate and there is sufficient equipment and a pool for swimming laps.

I had the occasion to interact with the staff. After I had checked out, I realized I misplaced my Pandora bracelet and the staff was extremely helpful in helping me look for it. Joe of housekeeping and James the security guard both checked the room I was in and Scott the manager even emailed me twice to check to see if I had found my bracelet. Which I did - in my new backpack in a tiny pocket I had overlooked. They staff exceeded my expectations in helping me.

Room Tip: The gym is on the third floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have stayed at several hotels in Alaska over the last few years and this is a great hotel. I had a great few of the mountains and everything was very clean and everyone was very accomdating. I will defintely stay at the Hilton in Anchorage again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

First the pros - the beds were very comfortable here, the valet folks and restaurant staff were nice, and the gym is modern and the location is good. The cable selection was "ok" (hey, at least there was HBO).

However, for the price and considering the fact that very few amenities are included (no free internet or breakfast - and very pricy breakfast options at the restaurant, $24 valet parking only), I did not find this hotel adequate and will not go back.

For one, my room was only serviced TWICE during the week I stayed! The second night I was there, they came sometime between 6 and 8 pm (I stopped in at 5 to change for dinner and it was still messy), which is very late. Especially paying over $200 per night. The third night, no one came. At 9pm, I called the desk and asked what the problem was. They said my room must have been overlooked and offered to come up right away to clean but by then I wanted to go to bed. I asked that they just send someone up with a fresh coffee cup (I had no more, since they are single use and no one was in my room to replace them) and asked that they please make sure to come the next day, earlier than 5pm if possible. Someone came up 30 minutes later with the cup, which seemed pretty slow since I was literally waiting so that I could go to bed (jet lag...). Fourth day - no service at all, again. This time I did call late in the evening and make them come up and clean, because the trash was beginning to smell. Fifth day, no service, again. I called to find out what the problem was - they said it was busy season, all the rooms were booked, and they were understaffed. That's understandable except they are also charging through the nose for high season and, honestly, that is not my problem. One of the few things I expect from a hotel is that they clean the room. Sixth day, arrive back at 4pm, no service. I put the DND sign up, so I have no idea if they would have ever gotten to or not. So in all, 2 nights out of the 5 (not counting the night I checked in), even after complaining. Please note that the room info says that sheets are cleaned on the 3rd day - no one ever changed my sheets all week.

Second, as other reviewers noted, the street noises and the train are audible, at least from my room in the Anchorage Tower. Also the AC turned on with a long sequence of thumping that made me think the ducts were going to fall from the ceiling.

These are all things that I'd be fine with in a cheaper hotel, but not for the price of this Hilton.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Scott D, General Manager at Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations and we are actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. I understand the condition of your guest room was of concern, and I thank you for bringing the housekeeping issues you encountered to my attention. I will keep your review in mind as we constantly look towards refresh options. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to give us a second chance the next time your travels bring you to the area.
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The food was good, but rooms felt like I was staying in a older hotel. Also this train is loud and can be heard from the Anchorage tower room. Valet was good but took a while to get your vehicle. The breakfast in the cafe was great.

Branchburg, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We arrived at about 4:30 in the evening; however, because I had to have the feather pillows exchanged, we did not get into our room until 6:30. Due to allergies I requested to have all the feather products removed from the room. In addition, upon entering the room, I was overcome by a very strong room deodorizer or air freshener. Due to an environmental allergy, I requested another room and upon talking with the evening manager and housekeeping supervisor, I was informed that this air freshener is used in all rooms. I was given an alternate room in which the fragrance was not as bad; however, we had to keep the window open during our entire stay. I also left notes in the room each day reminding the housekeepers to not use the air freshener in our room. My concern or question was, “just what odors are they trying to mask with the air freshener?”
We had a lovely view of the mountains from our room; however, the window was so dirty that we couldn’t get a clear view of the mountains.
The executive lounge is open from breakfast on Monday morning through breakfast on Friday morning. Breakfast is served in the morning and appetizers and desert are served in the evening. The staff in the executive lounge is friendly and the food selection is very good; however, we found it very frustrating that the lounge is closed during the weekend. On the weekend we had the breakfast buffet in the café in the lobby where the food selection was varied, the food was tasty, and the service was exceptional.
Since this hotel had many tourists during the summer months there were couple of other items that I found of interest. One, there was no concierge available in the hotel and second, postage stamps for postcards were not available for sale in the hotel.
The fitness center has several treadmills and elliptical machines and one reclining bicycle. They have some weight equipment. The center is spacious.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott D, General Manager at Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback. The smell you experienced is actually a standard Hilton room freshener which we use. I apologize your allergies kept you from being able to enjoy it.
The club lounge is only open on the weekdays and we will seriously take your comments into consideration.

Thank you again and we hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Been to Hilton Anchorage? Share your experiences!