“A decent budget hotel, but not a boutique” 3 of 5 stars

Inlet Tower Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 L St, Anchorage, AK 99501   |
Ranked #38 of 71 Hotels in Anchorage
Raleigh, NC
“A decent budget hotel, but not a boutique”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

Inlet Tower should just quit billing itself as a boutique hotel and market itself as budget accomodations downtown instead. The decor in the lobby and rooms is kind of worn and dated. The couches in the lobby look like they've been in someone's rumpus room for 20 years. The rooms themselves have tacky decor and the bedspread was starting to get threadbare. However, the room was clean, and the place offered a lot of free extras. We called for a pickup at the airport and the free shuttle arrived pretty promptly. The checkin was a little slow and disorganized. The one girl at the desk basically told us we'd have to wait so she could check in the China Airlines pilots that walked in right behind us, then was looking through a bunch of papers to figure out which rooms to put them in and couldn't tell which rooms were clean and dirty. It seemed kind of disorganized. Finally, some other guy came out of the back and helped us. Our checkin went pretty smoothly from there and we had no other troubles during our stay. The hotel has free wireless or wireline internet, free parking, mini-fridges, microwaves, and coffee pots in all the rooms, and as I said the shuttle was free as well. If they offered a free breakfast, it would have been perfect. We didn't eat at the on site restaurant, but the prices seemed pretty decent for Anchorage. The location is in a residential part of downtown Anchorage, maybe 5 or 6 blocks from downtown, and there's a very nice small grocery right next door where you can get coffee in the morning if you're too lazy to make your own. I thought this place was a great value for the money, especially considering all the free extras, just don't go in expecting a boutique. It's more along the lines of a Super 8 or Days Inn than a W hotel. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Chicago area
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

Only stayed at this hotel for one night as we were in between trains from Seward/Anchorage and Anchorage/Denali. No hair dryer in room. Called to front desk, who assured me they would send one up. No such luck. Had to go down to front desk with wet hair to obtain hair dryer. Asked for wake up call so we wouldn't miss train. Glad I'm a light sleeper. Desk clerk never recorded wake up call. Overheard several problems of credit card info not being captured properly and guest not being able to charge meals to their room as a result. Needs better management, especially at night.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

We had an excellent night, room was very clean & quite modern. the other reviews disagree with what we experienced. We paid more for a worse hotel in downtown, $120US was acceptable for early August. Close to supermarket & food stores, nice restaurant on site, beautiful food but small & fair cost. Convenient to the rest of Anchorage as are most hotels without being downtown & expensive.

Sacramento
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

I already know that the management of this hotel will probably write something after my review to the effect of "your input is valuable," etc. Whatever.

We found this hotel on a travel website so we booked it. We got in at midnight after taking the train from Seward to Anchorage. To the hotel's credit, they sent a shuttle bus right away to pick us up at the train depot. We had my 75-year-old mom with us, so we did appreciate that. Also, the young man at the front desk was very nice, too.

Here's what we did not expect: We did not bargain for the eight steps up to the front door of the hotel, which meant we had to lug our heavy baggage. The carpeting throughout the place needed replaced. The elevator was exceedingly slow, and one time when I wanted to go to my sister's room several floors down, the dang thing didn't work at all. Our room was poorly lit and the bathroom was like you'd find in a cheap apartment. I had to call for an iron. I had to call for a hair dryer. I misdialed my sister's room and got the front desk, apologized for my mistake and the young lady who answered at the desk grunted and then hung up on me. We called a bit later to arrange for a wake-up call, and got the same response. What's worse, they never followed through with the 5 a.m. wake-up call, and as tired as we were, we likely would've slept through the time of our flight. I naturally woke up at 4:45, so we were okay. The cruise line had mis-tagged luggage belonging to my sister, mom and a friend, so their stuff ended up on an earlier train to Anchorage. When we discovered this as we debarked the ship, the cruise line made sure the luggage would be delivered to the hotel before we arrived. Upon our arrival, the hotel staff claimed it had not come in. So at midnight, exhausted, my sister, friend and my mother were without anything other than what they had in their purses. They found out the next morning that the luggage WAS there at the hotel and had been there all along. Frickin incompetent people at the front desk. As I made my way to my bed, I stepped on something sort of sharp. It was someone else's toenail clipping.

This place was an absolute nightmare.

Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

Filthy dirty, manager wouldn't let me out of my reservation so I could change hotels. Hotel is old, smells of cigarette smoke. No hot water, no internet in rooms, one business computer to share with all visitors, too far to walk to restaurants.
Nothing positive at all to say about this place. Save yourself, stay anywhere else. A tent in the park would have been preferable.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Stayed here as part of a tour group. The hotel is situated in a residential area within hiking distance of downtown Anchorage (those who can't walk long distances should take a cab). The hotel staff told me that it would be safe to walk to/from downtown, even after dark (whatever hour that happens in the summer...). I arrived to the hotel late and was told there was no place to find a meal in the immediate area.

The hotel is obviously very old but they have made some decent attempts to update the decor. My room was smallish but clean and comfortable. The hotel paid for my taxi fare between the Alaska Railroad Station and the hotel; normally they provide "free" shuttle service but not late in the evening.

I had an OK breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Had I known about the cafe located in a nearby grocery store, would have probably had breakfast there.

I noticed online that the hotel rates were significantly lower than hotels in the middle of downtown. Between the lower rates at the Inlet Tower Hotel and the free shuttle service from the airport/railroad station, this hotel would be a great option when passing through Anchorage.

• Stayed July 2009
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

Nightmare Place. We brought the printed email with our room confirmation, and were told when checking in "We don't know who that person (listed in email as 'reservation specialist')is; we don't have a reservation for you"! Returned from business meetings all day, room was not clean. Then we were woken up at 1 am by keys turning in our lock - the front desk had put new people into the room!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business