I already know that the management of this hotel will probably write something after my review to the effect of "your input is valuable," etc. Whatever.
We found this hotel on a travel website so we booked it. We got in at midnight after taking the train from Seward to Anchorage. To the hotel's credit, they sent a shuttle bus right away to pick us up at the train depot. We had my 75-year-old mom with us, so we did appreciate that. Also, the young man at the front desk was very nice, too.
Here's what we did not expect: We did not bargain for the eight steps up to the front door of the hotel, which meant we had to lug our heavy baggage. The carpeting throughout the place needed replaced. The elevator was exceedingly slow, and one time when I wanted to go to my sister's room several floors down, the dang thing didn't work at all. Our room was poorly lit and the bathroom was like you'd find in a cheap apartment. I had to call for an iron. I had to call for a hair dryer. I misdialed my sister's room and got the front desk, apologized for my mistake and the young lady who answered at the desk grunted and then hung up on me. We called a bit later to arrange for a wake-up call, and got the same response. What's worse, they never followed through with the 5 a.m. wake-up call, and as tired as we were, we likely would've slept through the time of our flight. I naturally woke up at 4:45, so we were okay. The cruise line had mis-tagged luggage belonging to my sister, mom and a friend, so their stuff ended up on an earlier train to Anchorage. When we discovered this as we debarked the ship, the cruise line made sure the luggage would be delivered to the hotel before we arrived. Upon our arrival, the hotel staff claimed it had not come in. So at midnight, exhausted, my sister, friend and my mother were without anything other than what they had in their purses. They found out the next morning that the luggage WAS there at the hotel and had been there all along. Frickin incompetent people at the front desk. As I made my way to my bed, I stepped on something sort of sharp. It was someone else's toenail clipping.
This place was an absolute nightmare.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.