“Inlet Tower Hotel & Suites - A good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Inlet Tower Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 L St, Anchorage, AK 99501   |
Ranked #34 of 70 Hotels in Anchorage
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Inlet Tower Hotel & Suites - A good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed at the Inlet Tower Hotel and Suites upon our arrival in Anchorage and also right before our departure. The rooms are big, comfortable and are equipped with microwave and mini refrigerator. Bathrooms are clean. The shower is slightly difficult to get into as it is a high single step up. It might be difficult for an older individual as there is also no grab bar. It is a short distance from the airport and also downtown. The hotel restaurant is phenomenal!!!!! I can't rave enough about their food. Every meal we had there was excellent. They also had a good wine list. I was highly impressed for a hotel restaurant. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Inletscott, General Manager at Inlet Tower Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Cristiana,

Thank you so much for your review. It sounds like we hit a home run on your stay, which is always our goal. The restaraunt ,"PubHouse", is a fairly new concept in Anchorage called a "gastropub", and it is receiving rave reviews.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Anchorage, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were supposed to spend 4 nights in a King Suite. When I checked in very late, I was told I "had the last room". I booked this room 3 weeks earlier, doesn't that mean they are supposed to hold a room? Also noticed that another late guest seemed to have booked a room, but there were none available! Our adult son was to sleep on the sleeper sofa. The mattress was ripped and dirty and there were no linens, blankets or pillows for him. We had to go down to the lobby and get them. Linens and room smelled musty. Our son ended up putting the sofa and chair cushions on the floor to sleep. We only stayed the one night and then booked another room for the remaining nights at the Marriott Residence Inn. At least we knew what to expect there!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Carmen,

Thanks for your review. As you know, reviews are the best insight we have into the guest experience, and all we can do is take them into to consideration and continue to improve our product. We are currently undergoing a renovation, so updated pictures will be provided once the re-model is complete. Once again, thank you for review, and happy travels!
Cairns
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 3nights, 6th floor
Pros Exterior of the hotel was fine, free shuttle from airport, staff friendly, good location to downtown Anchorage and close to a small grocery store, Checkin was quick and easy.
Cons room had strong smell of damp carpet (dirty wet sock smell) couldn't get rid of smell even after spraying air freshener, pillows tiny 1/2 size of a normal standard pillow, top sheet had quiet a big rip and the sheet itself looked ancient, the whole room and decor was very outdated and old, no free breakfast, there was housekeeping but didn't arrive until 5:50pm.
Overall would only stay again only if cheap price considering Anchorage is an expensive place to stay and to guarantee the room wouldnt smell as that was the worst part.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Inlet Tower. We are an older building, so we do have some challenges with that. As far as smells, I do apologize for that, and will look into the causes so it wont be an issue for future guests. Linens are coming to the rescue as well, as we are in the process of upgrading our linen package for the 2013 season. Once again, thank you for the review, and I hope you stop by the next time your travels bring you to Anchorage so we can show you the changes we have made.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night. Massive problems on checkin: sent to occupied room, front desk clerk harried, called manager in due to another clerk's absence. BTW, met this manager & he was the only rude person I met on entire trip. Positives: large room, great view, love kitchenette & laundry. Slept like a baby under down comforter W/open window...in the morning saw a stain on fresh duvet that didn't come from me. Personnel issues I might forgive but an unwashed duvet, really? Too bad. This place could have been the best night of my trip. Step up, people. You have it all. Stop cutting corners.

• Stayed July 2012
Inletscott, General Manager at Inlet Tower Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
ScarletMacaw,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We recently took over the Inlet Tower, and genuinely use these reviews to improve our guest experience. One thing you will notice if you choose to stay again is an upgraded linen package we are adding throughout the fall and winter that will be ready for our guests by Spring/Summer of 2013.
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is a high rise in an out of the way area but not too far area of Anchorage. It looks like it used to be a condo building or something similar. The rooms are large and clean with a microwave, room refrigerator, and sink. The staff was friendly. If you're looking for a place to stay that won't break the budget that is if you can say you have a budget in Alaska, then stay here. It can be pricey but look for discounts such as AAA or AARP or similar.

Roborant,

Thank you for your review of our Hotel. You are correct in your assumption that our building was originally constructed in the 1950's as "L Street Apartments" and was converted to a hotel in the 70's. Little historic fact: The building was one of very few over 5 stories that survived the 1964 earthquake.
Sunny Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This hotel is average in my opinion. It was very clean and the location was super. We did switch rooms initially, some rooms have an odd shape and tiny bathrooms. The staff was friendly and customer service was paramount! I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room facing the mountains on a high floor for a spectacular view!
SunnyMum,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and your insight provided for future travelers.
Homer, Alaska, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I am somewhat unfamiliar with Anchorage (I can find most places if you can take me from Tudor or Northern Lights area). When I got to Anchorage, we stopped at a store on Northern Lights first (the 3G on my phone was not working for some reason, so I couldn't look up directions), and didn't know how to get to L street from where I was. I called the hotel, and was put on hold, as I was driving down the Anchorage streets, not quite sure where I was going. I waited too long, and decided to hang up and just find the place my self rather than wait for them to get back to me for directions.

The hotel looked SPECTACULAR from the outside, and in the lobby. Check in was quick and painless (especially for having a tired 3 year old after a long car trip). We requested a "higher" room at check-in (the kids wanted something up high!!) and the switch was super simple to the 10th floor :) We got a 10th floor corner room ... The view of the city was amazing.

The issues that I had, was the first thing we noticed was how "blah" the rooms were with absolutely no decor (though the light fixture hanging over the kitchen table was super cool!!!) other than an Alaskan montage on the wall behind the beds. The first bed had a big tooth paste smear (definitely old, dried on) on it, the vent above the toilet in the bathroom was FULL of dust, the bathroom had no fan (I have three boys in my family ... bathroom fans are much appreciated!), only one wash clothe, and in the morning when I went to blowdry my hair, the hair dryer only blew cold. There was only one garbage can (a small bathroom sized garbage can) in the bathroom.

The night we checked in (we only stayed one night) we checked in later in the day (around 7:30pm) and told the front desk about the issue with the tooth paste on the bed spread. She informed that housekeeping was gone for the day (understand, I work at a hotel myself) but that somebody would get to it. We told them that was fine, we were going to dinner and would be back in a few hours (TGI Friday's on Tudor and C ... HIGHLY recommend) :) But when we got back from dinner, their solution was to toss a new bed spread on to the bed without even removing the dirty bed spread. We removed all bed spreads from both beds and slept without them. In the morning when the blow dryer didn't work, I requested a different one, and though they did get one sent up to me, it took them almost 20 minutes (my hair was almost air dried by then). The funniest thing about the room, though, was the box TV lol I kind of expect hotels these days to have flat screen TV's (takes up less space, looks cleaner and more streamlined) but we weren't there to watch TV anyways :)

Being in a city (we're small town people) we expected city sounds, but have to admit that watching the street races down the strip at midnight was pretty cool to see. :) totally Fast and the Furious stats with neons under the cars and using the stop light for their go light :) that was a total blast, and such a great view from the tenth floor!

We were very happy that there was a fan in the room. It did get pretty warm (we left the windows open and the fan going the entire time). The restaurant looked amazing!! It had the "Italian vineyard" feel to it that I want to do in my kitchen at home (so I took tons of pics for great ideas!).

The staff (from the cute girls at the front desk to the wonderful wait staff that was MORE than patient with my toddler, very accommodating) were spectacular. Very friendly, very smiley. I ordered the French Toast with an extra bacon (my little guy is a meat eater!!!) but the menu said that it came with mascarpone, but it had no mascarpone or butter. My husband's eggs benedict was over cooked. But it was yummy, quick enough :)

Over all? It was a pretty okay place to stay. They were accommodating, just wish they had later in the evening staff to deal with certain issues (like the blankets). Cleanliness in the rooms could be better, too (they should be dusting everything each and every time). It was quiet (didn't have issues with hearing any other guests).

For $200 (after tax) it was ... decent. If it were $100 for the night, it would have matched the room quality a bit better.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Inlet Tower Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!