“Awesome food!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barolo Ristorante

Barolo Ristorante
1940 Westlake Ave, Seattle, WA 98101-1218 (Belltown)
206-770-9000
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Barolo Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #133 of 3,492 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Belltown
Cross street: Westlake at Virgina and 7th
Vancouver, Canada
“Awesome food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was my first visit to Barolo, definitely will not be my last! Reservations are definitely a must in this busy restaurant. Loved the atmosphere, decent service, and nice selection of appetisers and mains. I opted for the grilled romaine salad (grilled caesar salad) and it was outstanding, although the portion was a bit large. For my main, I had rigatoni with lamb and again, delicious as it was, I could not finish my generous portion.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Seattle
“Not so friendly...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Barolo: It's Belltownish, so we expected a little pretension. But the food is supposed to be excellent and everyone said go there. My friend has been there before and said it was an excellent place.

We got there and were told that it would be a bit of a wait. Ok, not a problem. 30-40 minutes we were told. Ok. Well, we each ordered a glass of house red from the bar (tasty and well priced at happy hour), and then... well.. nothing. For 90 minutes. Not a damn thing. Waiters asked us to move repeatedly. We did. No one ever said to us "are you doing ok?" "can we get you something" or even "hello." If I was still waiting tables and I had asked someone to move (all they have for standing in Barolo is in the way, we weren't unique in that regard) a couple of times, I would certainly have asked if they needed anything.

After 90 minutes we had to leave. Well we didn't have to, but we were terribly hungry and were only an hour from the concert. So we left. On the way out the door I expressed my displeasure to the host. He said "oh! Well you were next!" Fair enough except that you just sat a group of six who had just come in, AND you had several names crossed out under ours.

I understand that you thought we aren't Barolo kind of people. Now we both own our own companies, but we tend to dress casually and we were going to a concert, people at Barolo tend to dress to impress. But we weren't the only ones there in Seattle casual clothes. *and it should not matter in Seattle, you never know who you are seating,* but I guess we aren't. We would have enjoyed it though for that night. Ah.. and the Sushi at Red Fin. It's pretty ok.

Finally... they say that the problem with reviews is that people only review when they really like it, or really don't. I will say that I'm probably going to tell a few people about my experience.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“All around goodness”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great ambiance, great service and great (but definitely not inexpensive) food! We ate a pheasant and a rabbit (with pasta and gnocchi) and both were delish!!! Our waitress was attentive but unobtrusive.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Issaquah, Washington
“Romantic spots in Seattle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

We went here on a Dine around seattle event. The ambiance is perfect for a romantic dinner with significant other or a group dinner with friends. They had a nice collection of wines. Their appetizers were a tiny portion but entrees made up for that and were generous. Tier flan dessert was one of the best I have had. Service was also very nice. Maybe because it was quiet on a Sunday evening. But the server was very attentive and was quick.

Gig Harbor, Washington
“Excellent Italian restaurant in Seattle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Last night three of us had dinner at Barolo, and not the first time for my wife and myself. As with the previous visits the food was awesome. Freshly made pasta, excellent Calamari appetizer (as good as we had in Naples), bread with the olive tapenade was great, all our entrees couldn't have been better. The only down side was that the desserts were rather small portions. The waitress (Chris) was just what you want in a waitress; attentive but not overly so, OK with offering suggestions on the menu, polite and friendly. Whenever we have visitors who are interested in dining Italian, this is the place we take them. I would highly recommend this place.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere