“Great ambiance” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Dinette
1514 E Olive Way, Capitol Hill, Seattle, WA 98122-2130 (Broadway / Capitol Hill)
206-328-2282
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Broadway / Capitol Hill
Cross street: E Denny Way
Transit: #43, #8, #14
Description: Dinette is a sweet, cozy neighborhood restaurant on Capitol Hill. The food is inspired by regional Italian, French and Spanish traditions featuring handmade pastas, braised meats and toast with seasonal toppings. Down home, simple and soulful!
Seattle, Washington
“Great ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Tried this place out with friends when they opened, was pleasantly surprised with the french style fare. It is a bit pricey for the amount of food you get, but it is delicious food. Also, I sort of got bullied into dessert (by friends not staff) and we had an Earl Grey Ice Cream Sandwich. I am not a dessert eater, never had a sweet tooth...but if man and food could wed...I still dream about it

Visited June 2011

Seattle, WA
“Not the Prawns”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

The menu is quite small and if you have a few things on your list of "never eat that" then small menus can be a challenge. Unfortunately my "never" list is lamb and rabbit. In addition I am not a lover of trout. So my choices were minimal. I narrowed it down to the Gnocchi and the Prawns and Polenta. I asked the waitress which she recommended, and she said the Prawns.

In my experience Prawns are rather large shrimp. I could hardly see the Prawns, so they were much more like small shrimp that what most consider to be prawns. The polenta was not very flavorful.
My friend had the lamb and said it was very nice.
After I got home I discovered from reviews (on another site) that the Gnocchi was recommended hands down by those who had eaten at Dinette. Why the waitress didn't know this item was much more popular that the Prawns was maddening, not to mention how upset I was at myself for not reading the reviews before going to the restaurant.
The atmosphere is nice but very small. We were there at 5 on a weekday, so I can imagine it is hectic on the week-ends.
Overall a restaurant worth trying, just stay away from the Prawns dish (which doesn't even look like it is still on the menu.)

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Best.Lamb.Ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Food awesome from opening pâté to French press coffee at the end - in real coffee cups, with saucers! Loved the lamb which melted in mouth, the prawns, polenta, trout - all delicious and flavorful. We non-dessert people even ordered dessert including a refreshing lemon mousse. The only reason they don't get a 5 was a decidedly unenthusiastic waitress.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Bellevue
“Exceptional Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Seattle is enjoying a renaissance of fabulous new, boutique restaurants, and Dinette is certainly among them. Further, Dinette not only delivers great food, and fabulous service, but also modest prices certainly as compared to others.

This was my first visit to Dinette. It will definitely not be my last. What do they do so well? Let me count the ways...

1) We had a reservation for six persons at 7:00 pm on a Saturday evening and it was honored immediately upon arrival, with warm greetings and thanks for coming.
2) The menu has a smallish, but very unique choice of starters, salads, tapas-like choices main dishes, and desserts. Personally, I prefer a restaurant that does fewer dishes very, very well, rather than one which offers endless choices with mediocre outcomes. Dinette does everything well. Our group of six ordered many varied items, and each of was more exceptional than the last.
3) You can actually succeed in having a conversation without having to shout. The atmosphere is intimate but not overcrowded. The service is paced. You have time to enjoy what you've been served, and dialogue with your tablemates, without the next course bumping into the last course.
4) The wine list has a number of unique choices that I haven't seen in other restaurants, and they don't gouge you on prices.
5) The toasts tapas-like choices are superb. Much of it has to do with the very high quality bread that is the staple to many of their successful food options here.

The only downside is parking, but that's the case with every restaurant in this area. The Dinette website offers two choices of reasonably priced parking lots within a couple blocks. We used one of them with ease for $5. So, it wasn't such an issue (unless you want a free space on the street, and you could end up searching endlessly for that).

Finally, the eclectic group of diners whom we saw in the restaurant that evening speaks volumes to whom is coming to enjoy dinner.....young, old and middle-age, those dressed in jeans and even one couple in tuxedo and evening wear.

I can't wait to return to Dinette!

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Payson, Arizona
“A modest setting, a good meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

We took part in the Sunday feast. It was joyous meal of local food, well prepared. It is served family style. The wait staff hustled, and the bar offered a good selection of libations. I think their website gives an accurate idea of what to expect. It is definitely worth a try.

• 4 of 5 stars Food