“great Italian place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mondello's

Mondello's
2425 33rd Ave W, Seattle, WA 98199 (Magnolia / Queen Anne)
(206) 352-8700
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mondello's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #549 of 3,563 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Magnolia / Queen Anne
Seattle, Washington
“great Italian place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We've been eating here almost since it opened -- we and they moved into the neighborhood at about the same time. Run by a Sicilian family, and they also sell their pasta and sauces at the Magnolia neighborhood farmers' market (May-Sept.). Good salad and bruschetta (try the olive and the artichoke), soup (try the lentil), pastas (try the carbonara; the bolognese; the lasagna), and a few secondi. Specials depend on what's fresh: the fresh fish specials are popular. Wine is a strength here, as some other family members import wine, so the selection is good and reasonably priced. It is a popular neighborhood place, so call for reservations, especially on weekends. Some weekend nights an acoustic guitarist plays (no vocals). If it's crowded here, go around the corner and a block up to the Neapolitan pizza place run by the same family -- check out the Madonna on top of the pizza oven!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Helena, Montana
“Quaint! Wonderful! Reasonable! Worth Going Out Of Your Way For!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I make sure I go to Mondello's almost every visit to Seattle. In the Magnolia area, it's just 15 minutes from downtown, about 20 minutes from Ballard, and only 5 minutes from my son's house (lucky me!) This is the BEST Italian restaurant I have found yet in Seattle! And I have tried them in the U district, Ballard, Downtown, Capitol Hill, Green Lake area, Freemont, and West Seattle.

You will need reservations on a weekend night, maybe not during the week. The staff is very friendly, accommodating, and attentive without being disruptive.

I have never had anything yet that I wouldn't rate a 5 star. One of my favorite dishes is the GNOCCHI POMODORO! My son had "food envy" when he tasted mine. The SPAGHETTI GAMBERONI is incredible with large prawns, The RAVIOLI MARSALA is another favorite. Fish loving family members think the FETTUCCINE DI MARE is the best. Other favorites are the LASAGNA, TAGLIATELLE CON POLPETTE, PESTO CLASSICO, SCAMPI E SPINACI. Anything on the BRUSCHETTE menu is delicious. And we always start with the best CAPRESE I have ever had. If I haven't listed it, it is because we haven't tried it yet...but we will!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seattle, Washington
“Amazing, amazing,amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

I really loved the authentic italian cuisine! Noodles were perfect, al dente. I had the clams and white sauce. Really tasty, tender clams and no sand! :-) The atmosphere was perfect. Intimate and cozy. I loved the friendliness of the servers. It takes a reservation to get seated quickly, but once seated, enjoy the non-rushed atmosphere and sip some great wine. Server recommended a merlot that was outstanding and reasonable in price. Great authentic Italian cuisine. Be prepared to be impressed. Overall, a good memory of fine dining. A local said this is Magnolia's best kept secret. I believe it!

Bellevue, Washington
“Don't waste your money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

To start, I only visited this restaurant because it was offered on a Groupon.

We are from the Eastside and decided to cash in our Groupon on a Sunday night. The restaurant is located in the Magnolia neighborhood. Not being from the area is was somewhat hard to find. We drove down a dark side street three times before noticing the unlit sign. We entered and we greeted by a charming ambience which quickly died. There was no one to great us at the door and a bus boy and waitress took their time on greeting us. The restaurant was not full but they didn't have a table ready for us. Then once we sat it took 5 mis to get water (water should come in the first 30secs if you ask me). Nobody even came and acknowledged us. Then the bus boy finally comes with bread (which was stale) and he decides to take our order but failed to ask us if we wanted something to drink. The waitress wandered over some time after that and presumed to tell us how she has been running around a cried a couple times because she was alone waiting all the tables. She then took our drink and main course order and left. The prices here run at about $15 for a pasta entree, so I was expecting a good meal. My mixed green salad came with only olive oil on it and no balsamic. It was incredibly bland. The pasta came and was nothing special. A small and simple portion of pesto sauce and noodles, with no meat, for 14 dollars! Nothing special enough or tasty enough to justify 14 dollars.

Bad service, food is just ok. Would not return. The review below me really sounds like something someone associated with the restaurant would write.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
seattle
“Friendly faces and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

I've been going to Mondello's since it opened and understand the comments about an aloof person in the front... But be assured that has changed. The people are friendly, open and appreciate the patronage of every person that comes in the door. All dishes are authentic Sicilian. The pasta, seafood and beef/veal dishes are some of the best in the City. If there is a concern address it to Corino or his staff.
This is an excellent neighborhood ristorante....give it a try or re-try. Large portions give you the option of splitting an entre and salad for a quality and very economical night out.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere