“Tasty vittles” 4 of 5 stars
Review of J & M Cafe

J & M Cafe
201 1st Ave S, Seattle, WA 98104 (Downtown)
(206) 402-6654
Neighborhood: Downtown
Seattle
“Tasty vittles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Years ago, I mean many years ago...like the 1970's ...that's how long it had been since I visited the J&M Cafe. It was a good food and drink place then. And wondered if it still served up good grub. I wanted to use "grub" in this review as this supposedly is Seattle's oldest bar.

I met a friend there for a Friday lunch.

Pioneer Square was full of Seahawk and 49er fans getting set the NFC playoff game that weekend. The place was starting to fill up so I grabbed a table. A moment later my friend showed up. The J&M was one of his favorite eateries (he works in the neighborhood) so he knew, without looking at the menu, what he wanted.

The deep fried oyster sandwich.

He tried to sell me on it but I told him I was not an oyster guy.

Hadn't had a reuben for ages so that was my choice from a menu chock full of burger and sandwich options. We ordered a couple of beers and before long our waitress placed before us our food. The J&M is not bashful about filling every square inch of a dinner plate with these good sized sandwiches with plenty of fries or chips. (salad available too) This is not a place for the timid of palate. By all means bring an "I could eat a horse" appetite.

As it turned out this was a darned good lunch.

The J&M Cafe is a good place to eat when you visit Seattle and there's a lot of history connected with the place.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Arnhem, The Netherlands
“Good burger (honey badger) with lots of fries”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

A nice cafe where we had our last dinner before flying back home. Tasty burger with a big plate with fries. Nice atmposphere and good service.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“J & M Cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

In Seattle and walked around the Pioneer District. We stumbled upon this bar because of the music. Great bank. Sax player laying it down. Good crowd. Would love to go back there again. This is a must see if you love live music.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pardeeville, Wisconsin
“Following the Brewers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is a great place to people watch . We visited after a baseball game. There was a band playing that was fun to listen too. The drinks were reasonable and the staff cheerful and entertaining.

Visited August 2013
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
“Alive & Kicking In Downtown Seattle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Had the opportunity to stay in Seattle for a couple of nights and stumbled across this cafe. What drew us in was the soundtrack, Cure were playing, ordered some chips n dip and fries, or chips as we Brits like to call them and were allowed to taste some beers before buying, sampled a fab amber lager. The music kept getting better, Smiths, U2, Echo And The Bunnymen, New Order, Bowie so we stayed for more refreshments. One of which was a monster Moscow Mule which I had to help my darling wife finish. The chap serving us was a delight even though he was recovering from celebrating a significant birthday the night before. Would advise anyone visiting Seattle to seek this establishment out.

• Visited July 2013