“Good atmosphere, location and space -- Someone should put a better restaurant here” 3 of 5 stars
Review of F.X. McRory's

F.X. McRory's
419 Occidental Ave S, Seattle, WA 98104-3853 (Downtown)
206-623-4800
Dining options: Late Night Food, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Renton, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

If the concept if an Irish Pub/Sports bar theme sounds confusing, it ought to. Located on the edge of Pioneer Square across the street from Qwest field and 1/2 mile from Safeco field, FX enjoys the benefit of prime placement for pre and postgame frivolities.

I stopped by for lunch on a Wednesday afternoon lunch with some colleagues. We were early ~ 11:15, but didn't think this would be much of a problem because just about every place in North America that bothers to serve lunch is open by 11:00, right? Not here. FX McRory's opens at 11:30 on weekdays.

But fortunately, they had left the door unlocked and we were able to show ourselves to a table and they didn't throw us out, so it was all good. Having grown up in Seattle, I've been aware of FX McRory's most of my adult life, and the decor of the place definitely demonstrates authentic historical depth, whether from the Leroy Neiman watercolors that decorate the walls to the accumulation of sprots memorabilia strewn about, this is a venue that has seen some stuff go on. The main room is very roomy, probably 8-10,000 square feet with enough room between the tables to feel like we were able to converse without being over heard or interrupted by our neighbors.

The ceilings are high and the room is airy , comfortable and bright. The view from the windows on that side of the building was negligible, but the bric-a-brac was more than enough to capture the eye.

Allo fhtis went through my mind as we were waiting for opening. The menus stay with the tables so we were able to consider our orders while waiting. Unfortunately, I have to say that from the opening on, things went downhill. Service was indifferent at best, one of those Thousand-yard-stare waitresses that seemed to be dreading yet another horrendously busy day. And yet efficient enough to get our drinks and orders right.

My order was an Arnold Palmer (iced tea and lemonade) and their featured Reuben sandwich. I am something of a Reuben afficianado, and I find that a restaurant's attention to quality can be reliably be measured by seeing how they assemble and serve their Reuben sandwich. Seeing that it was featured on their menu and priced at $15 and actually mentioned Russian dressing, I thought it would have to be something special. It was not.

When I saw my scorched, impossibly thin sandwich, the scales fell from my eyes. Apart from the name and the decor, this restaurant is really no more special than your average neighborhood sports bar -- at twice the price. It was a sharp disappointment to see their pathetic attempt. And to top it off, even the Arnold Palmer wasn't very good.

I won't say much for the rest of the lunch except that the room did fill up and there was a waiting line when we left at 12:30, so if you choose to go, earlier is probably better than later. Still, 3 guys got lunch and a little wisdom for around $60 with tax and tip.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“What a disappointment, sad!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Went to FX McRory for a business dinner. There were 20 something of us, so we had a fixed menu. I heard good things about the history of this place so I was excited to try it out. I was very disappointed. The food was very bland. I guess quality goes down as quantity goes up. So I wanted to give this place a second time and went back with a friend at night. Second disappointment. I ordered the fish and chips and the fries were so gross and oily. The ambiance is nice though, very good for people that just want to have a drink, but the food is very mediocre.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Great happy hour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

The happy hour menu is cheap and the food quite decent. I don't really appreciate oysters, but the calamari were excellent. The service is low key and speedy considering the somewhat crowded nature of the main room.

Bainbridge Island, Washington
“FX used to be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Many years ago this was a favorite and very popular destination restaurant. Things have slipped although same owner is still a gracious host.

Visited February 2012
Houston, Texas
“The Game Day Restaurant and Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

A bit of a Seattle institution now, FX as it is sometimes called is the place to hang before, during, and after Mariners or Seahawks games. You're just blocks away from the stadiums and the parking lots are right there. The rest of the time, FX has a certain ambiance that simply exudes Seattle. On the one hand, sophisticated with an extensive selection of beer and whiskies plus very good food; and, on the other hand you can arrive after work in a suit or a pair of blue jeans. That my friends, is Seattle. As a side note, FX is not far from Pioneer Square and has better food than any of the restaurants there. So, if you're thinking of hitting some of those establishments on a weekend night to check out the music and social scene but you want to eat something good, FX is a great choice.

• Visited June 2011