“A Nifty Gaelic Discovery” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
T.S. McHugh's Public House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,359 of 3,487 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: American, Irish, British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Queen Anne Ave
Newport, OR
“A Nifty Gaelic Discovery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I travel from Portland, OR, to Seattle fairly frequently by Amtrak (business class/Bistro car, quick and no trafficf jams to contend with on the Queen City's gridlocked highway system, but rarely go to the Queen Anne district.
But this time, we did and what a pleasant surprise (my hotel review is seperate). We had an idea about nearby eateries because if very useful info in our hotel room and decided to try T.H. McHugh's Irish Restaurant (Guiness on tap). It was nifty. About as Irish as can be outside of Galway, with a motto that says, "What butter or whicky will not cure, there's no cure for." The menu has a variety of sandwiches, pot pies, pub fare, burgers, fish (my rule is never have any seafood unless there is a big body of water within a 10-minute drive), the usual soups.
The help was friendly and but the waitress seemed a bit distracted, but we were in no hurry. The food was hearty and well prepared (there were several of us and we all were happy with our choices). It has no outside seating, but for summer dining outdoors there are scads of places near by (see below).
I am puzzled by some of the other reviewers. If, as one said, "the food was standard pub fare (with no definition of the term), why did he go back twice with all the other dining offerings in the area? And what's the definition of "worst pub grub?" When I used to review restaurants for a major metro newspaper, I always described my criticisms precisely. Anyway, we were all happy with what we ordered.
BELOW...an unexpected bonus...McHugh's is but one of an enticing lineup of restaurants in the area, mostly on Queen Anne Ave. N. They include Toulouis Petit (Southern), Roti Cuisine of India, Peso's Kitchen & Lounge (American). Sam's Sushi, Paghacci Pizza. Blue Water Taco Grill and Phuket (Asian), plus a bunch more I likely didn't notice.
Because of our business, we had no opportunity for more through exploration, so no shopping report. But the area seems very promising.
Anyway, I'd go back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Saskatoon, Canada
“sunday menu small”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

they seem to cut back on Sunday, the rest of the week there is more choice. I found the service to be a bit slower than it needed to be, but tolerable. Plenty of beers to choose from.

Visited August 2013
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Average Pub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We ate there twice during a recent visit to Seattle both times because it was near our hotel. The food was standard pub fare. The service was good.

Visited August 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good beer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The food was some of the worst pub grub I've eaten and the place smelled like urine. The beer was fine.

Visited July 2013
Abbotsford, Canada
“Great service and for family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We attended the Seattle Storm's WNBA game against New York and we checked out a number of restaurants near Key Arena. I found TS McHugh's Public House. We had approximately 18 people attending (parents and teenagers) and I contacted the manager Don. Don was accommodating and the reservations set up. Prices were reasonable for us and the beer selection was great.

Our waitress was able to get our orders, beer and food very quickly. She knew her beers and at the end she got us out on time. I had the TS McHugh Burger and two other parents enjoyed the Reuben.

• Visited June 2013