“Have to eat here” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Plant City, Florida
“Have to eat here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We ate at the Ivar's right on the waterfront. Both of us had the bacon wrapped halibut...probably the best seafood meal in my life. Seriously!

Visited June 2014

Monmouth, Oregon
“Yummy and Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Ivars is right on the waterfront, so we enjoyed our chowder and french fries and yummy coleslaw while sitting outside watching the seagulls, ships and sunset. A nice little evening meal to end our day. Lunch at the Space Needle had held us until evening.

Visited July 2014
Seattle
“Great View. Horrible Food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

I went for their brunch. I was in the area and needed to kill an hour and was hungry, and I knew Ivars' brunch was expensive, so I assumed it would therefor be good.

Everything was cold. Everything. The sausage, which they brought out as I was standing there, was chilly by the time I got it back to my seat and took a bite. Then everything else I tasted was also chilly. It was so peculiar that I actually went back to the buffet line, grabbed a sausage, and took a bite right there. Could the temperature have decreased that much in the time between dishing myself and getting back to my table, I wondered? Nope. Fresh out of the serving container, the sausage was still cold. As were the potatoes. As was literally every other thing I ate. Cold. I don't know if the heating elements all happened to break on the day I went, but for $50 a plate, I'm not about to gamble again to find out.

Some other things:

First, every staff member I encountered was attentive, but not overly so. They all seemed highly intelligent and skilled. They were not merely servers, but people who seemed to actually care. It was nice. If only the food and the staff could find some common ground?

Second: just because it is expensive does not assure you that fellow patrons have any regard for hygiene. I went through the line twice. On both occasions I had the great fortune to see women in front of me licking their fingers and then grabbing the serving spoon with the same hand. REPEATEDLY. I recognize that Ivars is not necessarily to blame for the piggish nature of its guests, but if other people's saliva on spoons and spatulas that you will be touching presents a problem for you, stay away. Far away.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Fan-Fishing-Tastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We walked into Ivar's late in the evening with no reservations and were seated in less than ten minutes. The waiter was friendly and efficient. Everything about the evening was wonderful. The food can out within a reasonable time, and dessert was offered. Ivar's was a terrific choice.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Iconic but perhaps slightly overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

This is touted as the best seafood place in Seattle. It probably still is but don't expect anything too special as it has the look and feel of many of the other American style restaurants with standard oak or pine tables and chairs. It is on a very touristy stretch of the waterfront. We did however, have a very fine meal here. I had the combo Sockeye and King Salmons which were beautifully done and the others on my table had equally satisfying seafood meals.

• Visited May 2014