“Superb food and perfect service, omakase meal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nishino

Nishino
3130 E Madison St, Ste 106, Seattle, WA 98112-4221 (Broadway / Capitol Hill)
206-322-5800
Good for: Large groups, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Broadway / Capitol Hill
Madison
“Superb food and perfect service, omakase meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Nishino is my idea of the ideal restaurant for a special occasion. Every course of our nine course omakase meal was delicious, many were quite original and all were interesting and varied, The fish was some of the freshest fish we have ever eaten and many types were presented including flouder, black cod, salmon roe, crab, oyster, lobster and artic char. The service also was superb also. Our waiter introduced each course and explained the ingredients and preparation. We never felt at all rushed, and yet never abandoned either. We also enjoyed a lovely Grgich Hills Fume Blanc which complemented the food well....altogether a lovely evening.....Probably the best Japanese meal we have ever eaten (and that includes two trips to Japan.)

• Visited June 2013

86% Recommend
Seattle, Washington
“Good, but not impressive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I decided to try Nishino after seeing it had such a high rating. My favorite sushi restaurant is Umi Sake House, but I wanted to branch out and try some other places (I had already tried Shiro's). Since so many people said this was the best or one of the best sushi restaurants in Seattle, I had high expectations.

I thought Nishino was okay, but it didn't measure up to the 4.5 star rating and all the glowing reviews I read. I thought the prices were on par with a few other sushi restaurants, but when the rolls came out they were small and didn't have very many pieces, so I felt like I was paying a lot and not getting much in return (whereas at Umi, I'd pay a little more but get double what I got here).

The thing I didn't like was the rice. Even though it doesn't seem that important, rice can make or break a sushi roll. This rice had a similar taste to the rice that I would get in Publix sushi (Publix is a southeastern grocery store).

One of the things I ordered was the spicy salmon tartare on top of crispy rice. The taste of the rice overpowered the salmon tartare, and the tartare could have used some salt and wasn't spicy at all. The salmon itself was good, but the overall dish lacked the flavor I was expecting.

Nishino has good quality ingredients and fish, but it was too pricey for the small amount of food I got and there wasn't anything special about it. I don't know what I missed that most reviewers seem to love, but I was underwhelmed and probably wouldn't go out of my way to go back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Every time we eat there we are amazed at the fresh flavors and wonderful service. We try to seek out Japanese were ever we travel and this is the best. We usually get the Omakase (Chefs Menu)

• Visited April 2013
Toronto, Canada
“If you love sushi (and even if you don't)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Nishino is a bit away from the tourist centres, but it is worth the drive. The freshest, well-presented, melt-in-your-mouth sushi I have ever tasted. Wonderful, friendly and knowledgeable service. Reservations a must as it is VERY crowded. All groups were well-represented: couples, families, friends. Will definitely return on my next trip. Outstanding!

Anna D

• Visited May 2013
Bend, Oregon, United States
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Wow! They really know whst they are doing! Ask for help from the waiters, as its not the cookie-cutter menu. However, the food is outstanding and unique. The yellow tail collars are phenomenal. The fish cuts are as tender as warm butter. One if the best places ever! Not expensive

• Visited May 2013