“Sated my desire for SE Asian food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Wild Ginger is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 3,490 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Third Avenue and Union Street
Vancouver, Washington
“Sated my desire for SE Asian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

More than 15 years ago, we ate at Wild Ginger at the satay bar. Sure the price of a satay stick is a tenth of the cost in Malaysia, but since we're at a fancy restaurant, and in the US, we'll pay the price. And now we're back in Seattle with a nice discount with our ticket to the Seattle Symphony. It's a good marketing tool to bring in customers!

First impression of the restaurant - "Wow. It's got a lot of seating. The hostess, wine bloke and waiter are attentive. But wait, the chair sags." And yes, I switched my chairs 3 times before I found one I didn't fall into - the fabric sagged into the frame - it seemed like there was no platform seat. And no, I'm not large nor heavy.

Food wise - the peasant chicken satay was one of the best and authentic tasting I've had in a long time. The otak-otak was nice too. The rendang (mispronounced by the waiter) and the princess prawns were excellent. It would have been easy to overcook the prawns, but they were just right.

I definitely felt that the staff were working hard to be attentive and were successful at that for us.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Seattle, Washington, United States
“I miss the old place, old location”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This place used to be one of my favorite places to go, in the old location where service was good and food was great. Ate there on 12/31 for lunch and it was just completely boring, food mediocre, and service AWFUL. Never going back.

Visited December 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Plain old Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The service was great, but the food on the other hand...I had the chicken potstickers for the appertizer. They had a nice crispiness to them, but the chicken filling was bland, no seasoning at all. Then I got the chicken kung pao, which was decent, nothing special, and a bit warm. The drink was kinda watered down. Just average Asia food, would not go back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, Washington
“Cold Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I had been to Wild Ginger one other time several years ago and was very much looking forward to returning. I was especially excited about the variety of options on their vegan menu! The food was flavorful, but unfortunately it was cold. It was a busy night and we were sitting a fair distance from the kitchen, but I wished that it had been hot.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Love it, ate here twice in 2 days!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Great Asian food!! We liked our first meal (lunch) so much that we went back for dinner the next day. Really fresh ingredients, authentic flavors. Highly recommend the pot stickers, duck and black pepper scallops.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere