“A Hidden Gem in Fremont” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Simply Desserts

Simply Desserts
3421 Fremont Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103-8811 (Fremont)
206-633-2671
Cuisines: Bakery, Dessert
Neighborhood: Fremont
Neighborhood: Fremont
Issaquah, Washington
“A Hidden Gem in Fremont”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Hands down the best place for cake in Seattle! A slice of cake is large enough to share, but trust me you'll want your own! On any given day they have a selection of 7 - 10 cakes, from chocolate amaretto to white chocolate strawberry (my favorite). Their cakes are pretty dense and moist...and delicious. They also have brownies, cupcakes, and cookies for sale, but cakes are their specialty. Last March I ordered 1/4 sheet of the white chocolate strawberry for my parents' birthday and everyone at the party raved about the cake. It's that good! Just a warning they only accept cash/check.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Vancouver
“Our daughter got married 15 miles out of Washougal WA on Sept 1, 2013.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The only cakes that she wanted were from Simply Desserts in the Fremont area of Seattle. I guess we might have made a mistake when we introduced her to 5 or 6 different kinds of cake from their wonderful little bakery years ago. My husband and I would always stop by for a couple of pieces to go, and we would bring them home to Vancouver. The day before her wedding, we sent another relative up to pick up 5 sheet cakes and one big regular cake. Daughter was delighted and so were the all the guests at the Celebration of Life party. Thank you Simply Desserts. You made our day!

• Visited September 2013
Seattle, Washington
“THE BEST dessert secret in Seattle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

hands down the absolute best desserts are made in this wee spot in fremont. all fresh ingredients make cakes to die for. I won't buy a cake anywhere else!

Visited August 2013
Texas
“Best Cake I Ever Ate!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stopped by this small bakery by mistake, as we were going to take the tour at the Theo Chocolate Factory in the Fremont district, but the tour was full. We then walked around the corner and found this delightful place with the perfect bakery smell. They have a couple of places to sit to and they make all of their own cakes, cookies, and brownies. Whatever they're doing, it's the right thing, since it was the best German Chocolate cake I had ever eaten. They have a terrific variety of cakes and coffees. Definitely worth a special trip - we will go there again when we get back to Seattle.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Oregon
“Chocolate White Chocolate - best cake I have ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I am a huge dessert fan and have had more than my fair share of desserts in my life time. I am particularly drawn to cake and cupcakes, so Simply Desserts has a lot of appeal to me as they primarily have cakes. They typically also have a pie or two, or some cookies as well, but cakes are their specialty. I have been there more than just a few times and they usually have at least 8+ cakes in the display case, but here have been a few times when the pickings have been a bit slim. They have their usual cakes, and then will rotate others so you might get a surprise and find a new cake that you have not seen before. I have tried a lot of them, but my ultimate favorite cake is the Chocolate White Chocolate cake. It is a rich and moist chocolate cake that also has chocolate chips in the batter, topped with white chocolate buttercream frosting that is very creamy and complements the cake perfectly. There are chocolate shavings to top it off which add some taste and texture without being too hard. Whenever I decide to try another cake from there, it almost never compares to the Chocolate White Chocolate. I have found the other cakes to usually be moist, but sometimes the frosting/icing on the others is a bit hard. It seems that all their cakes are best served at room temperature and not straight out of the fridge as that really hardens up the frosting.

Other things to note - as others have mentioned, they are cash or check only. A slice of cake will run you about $5-6. They are served on a paper plate and plastic fork so don't expect anything fancy. If the slice is too big to eat at once, you can ask to take the rest to go. There are a few tables in there but things can get full on popular nights. Closed on Mondays. If you order a whole cake for a party or something, I would recommend that you don't have them put writing on it as decorating doesn't seem to be their forte (look on yelp for examples). Buy their cake because you want it to taste good, not to look decorated (I think their cakes look fine for everyday purposes - it just won't say happy birthday in elegant font).

Whenever I go into Seattle, I try to stop here for my cake fix. I think it's going to be near impossible to find another cake that I like as much as the Chocolate White Chocolate.

• Visited November 2012