“Lovely Dining Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Canlis Restaurant

Canlis Restaurant
2576 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109-2206 (Magnolia / Queen Anne)
206.283.3313
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Canlis Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 3,084 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Doing business, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Magnolia / Queen Anne
Cross street: Haliday
Chicago, Illinois
“Lovely Dining Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a lovely restaurant with an amazing view. It is a little out of the way if you are staying in downtown Seattle -- you will need to take a cab and be sure to request a cab at least 15 minutes before you are ready to leave or you will have to sit around and wait for a cab at the end of the evening. I have eaten at many, many fixed price "fancy" restaurants before, but for those who have not this will will be a real treat. For those that have, you will find some dishes to be absolutely delicious and others to be just OK. For example, I had a hamachi appetizer which was just OK and a halibut entree that was solid but nothing fantastic. My dining companions had some truly delicious dishes: steak tartare, filet, etc. The house salad that they really hype is nothing special and I would totally skip it. It's good but not better than any other nice salad you have had. Some of the most delicious courses were the amuse bouche they bring you at the beginning and the macaroons at the end. Absolutely delicious. The portion sizes are all pretty generous (this is not one of those "just a bite or two" places). Our service was strangely spotty -- especially when it came to drinks; they brought the wrong drinks with the wrong garnishes. At one point we asked about a tree outside and they said they would bring the owner over to tell us about it and he instead went to talk to the table next to ours. WHATEVER. Overall, it is a lovely restaurant and a very nice dining experience for a special occassion.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Seattle, WA
“Doesn't Get any Better than Canlis-Epicurean Fantasy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

What an epicurean fantasy. The food was unbelievable. Great Grand Marnier Souffle. Fixed Pris menu with choices of 3,4,7 or 10 course dining experience. They even offer a vegetarian menu! Complementary hors d'oevres "tasters" from the chef. Fabulous view over Lake Union! Impeccable Service!! A Hidden Gem!
Special features:fit for foodies,romantic,scenic view,notable wine list,special occasion

Worcester, United Kingdom
“outstanin service and food to celebrate our 40th”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

our children terated us to a night out at this restaurant when carol and I were over in Seattle...as a present to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary

the location is magnificent, the service just outstanding and the food and wine to die for.

you will need to book to secure a table....this is aserious "must go to"

Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Great Restaurant. I have eaten all over the world, always seeking good food. Canlis did not disappoint.

Great service, we were right next to the piano, which was not wonderful but did not spoil the evening. Great views of Seattle. Delicious food served by unpretentious friendly staff (always a relief). Had 4 courses, all delicious, plate cleared at each stage.

Highly recommended, will definitely come again if I ever go to Seattle again.

$450 for two, with (lots of) wine. Perfectly reasonable price given the evening.

Scottsdale, az
“Good Food, Ambiance, Music...Great SERVICE!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I dined here with my customer/friend from the UK. We arrived a cab and were greeted warmly. Our table wasn't ready so we had a cocktail in the bar. I realized I dropped my iphone in the cab. I approached the manager and he immediately called the cab company. He even knew the cab driver from my explanation. He assured me he would take care of the situation and wanted me to enjoy my cocktail. I received my phone bac k as we sat down for dinner. It is a prix fix menu with a choice of 3 or 4 course, as well as chef's menu and wine pairing. I had the Halibut, and the Hamachi with a choc peanut butter dessert. Everything was amazing but of course a bit expensive. The sommelier advised us on some wines for pairing with both Lamb and Halibut. The only odd thing was he offered to choose for us which was surprizing since they had bottles ranging from $75 to over $1000. We had the Gramercy cellars Cab which was perfect with both entrees. This place is a little uppity but the experience as a whole was amazing!

Visited July 2013