“Good Food, Good Service, Reasonably Priced” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilltop Ale House

Hilltop Ale House
2129 Queen Anne Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109-2310 (Magnolia / Queen Anne)
206-285-3877
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Magnolia / Queen Anne
PDX
“Good Food, Good Service, Reasonably Priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We had an early dinner at this pub as I was looking forward to some traditional English pub food. The place was not busy when we arrived and we were seated immediately. We were offered drinks quickly after being seated and not long after that our order was taken.
I ordered the Steak & Guinness Pie which was cooked to order. The pie was served hot and fresh. My husband ordered the Caesar Salad & said it was fresh and well seasoned.
Oh, the pie was wonderful and did have a faint taste of Guinness which made me very happy!
The entire meal including tip was pretty reasonably priced. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a decent pub meal.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Seattle
“great place for lunch with friends or family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Love the berr selection as well as the food. The reuben sandwhich is amazing! They have weekly specials that are always great. The soups are homeade and great too.

The servers are always freindly! Tim is espcecially nice.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
seattle
“Reuben good but too hot/spicey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I probably would have enjoyed more if I wasn't expecting "the best reuben in Seattle". Meat was good (Boar's head) although I'm used to fattier, more flavorful. Good sauerkraut, didn't mind that it was red. Liked the looks of the presentation - everything hot and melted together.
But the spicing was too much - it drowned out the other flavors.

Good beer, good side salad, very good service. Next time I would try something else.

Prices high but seemed they used high quality ingredients.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, GA
“Great neighborhood pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is a great little pub nestled in the Queen Anne neighborhood of Seattle. There are multitudes of interesting beers on tap. The food is great much better than your average pub fare. I had the fish taco and it was delicious (and quite large). My spouse and I shared the hummus plate which was tasty. The open face tuna melt is high end and delicious.The service is very good and very personable. For the sports minded their is a large screen TV but really this place is great for conversation and really good food. My favorite pub so far in Seattle.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richmond Hill, Ontario
“A nice escape from the tourist throngs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Hilltop Ale House is a small local pub located in the Queen Anne Hill neighbourhood, far from the tourist throngs. It has a cozy English pub atmosphere and was quite empty on a Saturday mid-afternoon (3 pm).

I had a delicious blackened salmon sandwich cooked rare to order, that came with a handful of kettle fried chips. My friends shared an order of curried cashews which were nicely spiced (not overly salty) that they enjoyed, but felt could have been improved with a few minutes of heating up.

The wide choice of brews on tap astounded me even though I knew I was in "Beervana" (Rough Guide). 2 cask brews were also on tap. Both servers were very knowledgeable, and offered generous samples of the various libations on tap. This is one of those conundrums to live for (choosing the brew).

Overall, I heartily recommend Hilltop for those that appreciate the products of malts and hops...and the bar food is a cut above many of the so called "gastropubs" that I have experienced.

• Visited July 2012