“Love the lau lau” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kauai's Family Restaurant

Kauai's Family Restaurant
6324 6TH Ave S, Seattle, WA 98108-3436 (Georgetown)
(206) 762-3469
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Neighborhood: Georgetown
“Love the lau lau”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Very authentic Hawaiian food served in a casual setting. There are a few of us girls, raised in the islands that get together when we can and share good company, local food, and great memories of the Islands. Did I say excellent food? Ono. As good a plate lunch as I get in Waimanalo when I go home. Wish they had more dinner hours.

• Visited October 2012

Kent, Washington
“Ono Grinds!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is the best Hawaiian food I have found outside of Hawaii! I lived for many years in Hawaii and grew up eating this food. I was blown away by how excellent the service was and how Dorine and her staff make you feel like Ohana, in true Hawaiian style! I know the Crispy Ginger Fried Chicken from living on Kauai and I was in heaven with the first bite! It was as close as you can come to one of my favorite Kauai restaurants that serve the same dish! During my last visit I tried the Ox Tail Soup. This is the most flavorful ox Tail Soup that I have ever had......... ONO! I sat and watched as many of my favorite local dishes went by me on their way to other tables..... I guess I have to go back several more times to try them!! You will not leave hungry or unsatisfied!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seattle, Wa
“Good memories, good space, friendly service, good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Kaua'i Family Restaurant is a delightful journey back to very special island and is a neat place for a meal on a rainy Seattle day. When I first walked in, the plumeria colored walls brightened my spirit. The open dining room, blending into utilitarian kitchen space, reminded me of ohana lunchrooms I enjoyed visiting in Kaua'i. Laminated placards on every table informed diners that frozen malasadas dough is now available. There were other notices and various Hawaiana scattered throughout the dining room and the adjoining bakery area.
The menu and specials board featured pretty much all the normal stuff - all the good hearty food that you expect and hope for in a Hawaiian lunchroom. I tried something I never did actually have in Kaua'i, but it sounded good. It was the Crispy ginger chicken. My plate was piled high: filled with sizable links of cleavered chicken (Chinese style), seasoned with ginger and Shoyu, with a hint of brown sugar, then deep fried to perfection. Of course, my my plate also overflowed with macaroni salad and a couple scoops of very good rice. Such a satisfying and well prepared meal for under 10 dollars at lunch! Service was excellent, friendly and it just reminded me of being back in Kaua'i....
Looking forward to returning for breakfast sometime soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Get plate lunches like auntie makes.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

We're Seattle natives, but Kauai is our island kauhali. Kauai Family is as good (and as authentic) as our favorite island plate lunch shack. It should be - the owners are Kauai ohana. This unpretentious spot in Seattle's south end serves up all your favorite grinds with aloha. Looking for Loco Moco? We get. Spam musuba? Oh yea! Ginger chicken, lomi pork, katsu. Really good mac salad (and I'm really particular.) Whatever you get, be sure to get a side of Peter's smoked pork. If you are lucky enough to get there early on Saturday, you can get a bag of Malasadas. You know!

Seattle, Washington
“Best place to try Hawaiian food in Seattle!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I've never had Hawaiian food before Kauai's. In fact I was fearful since I thought it was all spam and eggs so i carefully researched on Yelp to find a place to try.
The restaurant is located in the industrial area of Georgetown and is a hole-in-the-wall. The first time I went I was disappointed because I wanted to try Lau Lau and Kalua Pork but they had run out. :(
I had to order other stuff and wow i am glad I did--Pipi Kaula, BBQ Chicken and Beef! Once my tongue hit the chicken and beef it did a dance! It was the best teriyaki-ish style I've eaten!!!! I also got a guava cake to go and yup it was SOOO awesome. A few weeks later I went back and ordered what I couldn't get--Lau lau which was great comfort food and kalua pork which was decent--my friend told me that's exactly how kalua pork tastes in Hawaii so i guess I am just not a fan. This time I ordered 4 different types of cake to take home and they were all delicious. I highly recommend this place, don't let the appearance deter you because its lip smacking good food. I am hooked and now refuse to try other Hawaiian joints because I am fearful of how it might disappoint. Be aware of their weird opening times--I wish they opened longer hours so I can go after work more often.

• Visited November 2011