“As great as everyone says it is” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Northlake Tavern & Pizza House
660 NE Northlake Way, Seattle, WA 98105-6428 (University District)
206-633-5317
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Large groups
Neighborhood: University District
Spokane, Wa
“As great as everyone says it is”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Don't expect fancy, and it may be busy, but man.....the pizza is really good. Good beer selection as well. I ate leftovers for two days.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Seattle Washington
“Pizza with Pizzazz”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Frequented by University of Washington professors, employees and grad students because of its proximity and acclaimed by the Wall Street Journal and Zagat's, I visited this renowned Seattle pizza favorite last night for the first time.

At the entrance you'll see you have to be 21 to enter because it's a tavern. We both more than qualified. Then we encountered history from its original opening in 1954 by Herb Freeman and the Husky to funky atmosphere including red and white checkered tablecloths. The big screen TV featured a ball game. My friend visited here often in the 1960's and said it hadn't changed much.

But let's get down to the real reason we came: PIZZA! I wanted to order my usual Hawaiian but they had a spin-off called the Maui adding mushrooms and green pepper that sounded good. The server recommended we order a "small" 10 inch pie, saying it would be plenty. Plenty it was! The menu says "small" is 2 1/2 pounds for $20.10. I was amazed at the quality and quantity of the ingredients. Fresh delicious Canadian bacon, pineapple, mushrooms and green pepper over loads of mozzarella cheese. YUM! My friend had a blanket of large precisely layered sliced red ripe tomatoes covering his vegetarian side of our "small" pizza. Here's what's unusual: the crust. It's like a crispy cracker and dry inside. It's not that I disliked it, but it was different from any crust I've ever had. I can't say I preferred to others either.

When leaving, my friend inquired about Northlake's history so the friendly general manager Abdullah left the kitchen to talk with us. He'd worked here for years and enthusiastically told us more details of the original owner, whose wife is still living and in her nineties. It's good to know that after all these years the Northlake Tavern & Pizza House is still going strong and we recommend strongly you pay a visit to eat in or order a pick up ready in 30 minutes. No delivery...but they certainly deliver memorable pizza.

Visited November 2012
Battle Ground, Washington, United States
“Simply the Best Pizza in Seattle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

The New York Times was quoted stating that "The Northlake Tavern and Pizza House has the best pizza on the planet." After visiting there this past weekend prior to the Husky game, my wife and I know why. Simply excellent. A little more than what you'd expect to pay for a small combination ($22 +/-) but after we bit into the salty goodness that was toppings all the way to the edge in stead of stopping short like most pizza places, we were in awe. The small was enough for the two of us for dinner and a hearty lunch of leftovers the next day. Do yourself a favor, the Northlake Tavern is worth the trip. We loved it.

Visited October 2012
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“Unique Pies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Pizza is very good. It's like deep dish with less crust. There is no crust toppings go all the way. A small 3 topping was $21. I thought it was a little high but when it arrived to the table holy cow was it big. It became lunch and dinner. Great taste great ingredients. It's been there for ever they must be doing something right. Please note you must be 21 to go in. So not for the kids and only because of the law. I would take my kids there. Very nice atmosphere. However you can do carry out.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Walpole, Massachusetts
“Seattle's Best Pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Opened in 1954, Northlake, which is near the University of Washington campus, has a publike atmosphere. What great pizza! The toppings are more than generous; they cover the entire pie. The sauce is flavorful and rich. The cheese is excellent. My only quibble would be the crust---a little crispy. My favorite pizza is Vincent's of Pittsburgh and Gino's of Chicago. Frank Pepe's in New Haven is good. But this is definitely 'best of the west'....Mike Birbiglia would approve! The service was outstanding; our waiter, Ryan was ever friendly and helpful with making suggestions about all the local beers they have on tap. The price was right. The experience memorable. This morning I am having breakfast leftovers from 'the logger' pizza, canadian bacon, black olives, green peppers, italian sausage, Yummy! Great get in Seattle!

• Visited August 2012