“Not good” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bagels
Seattle, Washington
“Not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I must say I am floored by the reviews that I have read. Tho they say they are boiled, they do not have the consistency of boiled bagels and bagels do have to be boiled to be true bagels. I was sadly, sadly disappointed, because I was looking for a good, true bagel.

While I was there, someone put there dog on the countertop. And a couple of the employees were playing with him. Then they just went back to work. Needless, to say, I will not be returning there.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Vestal, New York
“Bagels Arrived on 12 Ave E!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This is a very attractive bagel shop with carry-out and eat-in dining. The staff is extremely welcoming and friendly. They described how the bagels made here are different than the NYC style bagel. These have no yeast. They are boiled in honey water. So they are more dense. The bagels are best eaten right after purchase. The next day they are very tough and chewy. The coffee is wonderful! It is free-trade, organic coffee roasted deliciously. I tried the feta and white bean spread. It was really interesting and a different switch from cream cheese. I also had the Abulafia, a flat crispy like pizza of caramelized onions, fried eggs. A nice breakfast pizza of sorts. They also have a few interesting spreads for the bagels like apricot fig compote and caramelized onion hummus. There is a lunch service to include soup. An adorable place for breakfast with best coffee in Seattle! Believe me, I've been drinking my way around town to find the best, this is so far has it hands down!

• Visited August 2012
new jersey
“Best bagels and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I love this place! The bagels are wonderful, small and chewy, not those huge cakey things that pass for bagels even in New York these days. The spreads are delicious and range from typical cream cheese to fava bean spread. The owners are very hands-on and anxious to please their customers. They are opening another store soon, so keep your eyes open.

• Visited July 2012
boise
“This Place Is Special!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I need to let you guys know that I take reviewing very seriously and I wouldn't just give a 5 star rating unless a business really deserved it. With that said, I can assure you that Eltana deserves every single one of those stars.

I have visited Seattle quite a few times, but it wasn't until my latest visit that I tried Eltana (I was on a Savor Seattle Hip On the Hill tour which I HIGHLY recommend) I wasn't expecting much, these are Montreal style bagels after all and not my beloved New York style. Well, I was blown away by how delicious they were. Crunchy on the outside, perfectly chewy on the inside and just big enough that you don't feel like you are eating a loaf of bread. (As much as I love NY bagels, big isn't always better!) They are boiled in honey water, hand rolled, generously seeded on BOTH sides and baked in a wood oven. Sooo Good!! I am hooked.

But that isn't the end of the story. My tour group was treated like royalty there. Seriously, they really went above and beyond ... I mean, they knew we were tourists (the tour is great for locals too by the way, but I think the majority will be tourists) so they didn't have to try that hard. (You know what I mean ) I felt really special there.

So I get home and I have brought a few bagels with me and I share some with my parents (both raised in upstate NY) they are hooked on the bagels too ... so what else can I do but try to have some shipped to me??!! Daniel is the one who helped me with that and I have to say they AGAIN went above and beyond for me.

If you haven't gone here yet, I say GO! (Try the mint and white bean spread. It is to die for!!) I would be there every day if I lived in Seattle.

• Visited May 2012