“Grand Old Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary, Canada
“Grand Old Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Like many in the Fairmont chain (The Palliser, Chateau Lake Louise) this hotel's architecture is been well preserved. Staff are knowledgeable and very professional. Stayed in a suite for 2 nights - try and get a higher floor to minimize street noise. Would definitely stay again - join the President's Club; love being able to have the doorman give us our room keys - no stops for checking in!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

1,461 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Over my decade of visiting Seattle I've stayed at many hotels including the Marriott Waterfront, Edgewater, Silver Cloud, Marriott Residence Inn etc...but clearly The Fairmont Olympic is the grandest of them all! While few rooms have much of a view (unlike the Marriott Waterfront where most rooms have a good to great view of Elliot Bay) the Olympic is simply old-world elegant. The rooms are spacious, he halls quiet, the service excellent. The fitness club was outstanding and the coffee shop was quite good. the concierge staff was also very helpful. Best of all was the hotel's location--one block from Benaroya Hall, across the street from the Fifth Avenue Theatre, and in the heart of the downtown shopping district. Public transportation was exceptionally easy with local and express buses stopping within a block or two. The waterfront and ferries were a 10 minute walk downhill (slightly longer uphill). The Seattle Art Museum was a few blocks away as was Pikes Market. The outstanding WIng Luke Museum (an affiliate of the Smithsonian) was a few minute bus ride away (free bus rides in the downtown core) and with its location in Chinatown/The International District it is not only a great museum trip but also an eating fest. Three tips: first, if staying at this Fairmont (or any Fairmont for that matter) join the FAirmont President's Club and get free wifi access as well as free use of the health club. Second, if in Seattle visit the free Olympic Sculpture Park which is at the north end of the waterfront...a beautiful walk of about 30 minutes from the hotel. Second, visit the Wing Luke Museum--rated # 1 in Seattle and take the tenement tour (much like the west coast's answer to the NYC tenement tour). Third, use Seattle's outstanding public transportation including taking the light rail in from the SEATAC airport which de[posits you 1 block from the Olympic. Over the course of my 9 day trip I spent grand total of less than $15.00. Parking at the Olympic is very expensive ($43 per day)! If I had rented a car for this trip parking alone (with taxes) would have been over $400.00

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Came for a girlfriend getaway and had a great time - close proximity to shopping, and had a good time just hanging out at the pool and spa. The room was nice, although the TV was in a weird place and didn't get great reception (although we didn't really use it so it didn't bother us too much).

Oddly, there were never any doormen at the entrance - not a huge deal, but when it's raining and crowded, it would have been nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

There is a reason this property gets a 5 diamond. There are probably better properties in terms of modern rooms but the reason this property is 5 diamond is because of the service. Recently stayed at Hong Kong Four Seasons and would say service at the Fairmont Olympic is on par if not better in terms of friendliness.

Rooms are good certainly above satisfactory and the best heritage Fairmont aside from the completely renovated Fairmont Peace. But expect a Heritage property and now a new hotel built in the last 5 year.

Only complaint could replace a few furniture pieces. No stains but some wear is visible.

Still my choice for Seattle.

• Stayed November 2012
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

A few years ago, I visited friends who were staying here and the whole hotel seemed shabby, the rooms small, and the service uninterested. I spent one night here and it was enough to turn my opinion around. The whole facility has been spruced up. Our standard king room was spacious enough for us to host another couple for a glass of wine. The bathroom was plenty big for two people to get ready, and the in-room amentiies were much improved since the last time I had been in a room. The pool and fitness center were fantastic. We ate breakfast downstairs and the food was delicious. The service we received in the whole facility was pleasant and professional without being pretentious. My only hesitations in giving a higher review are that 1) The wait time for room service was unacceptable (which is why we ended up going to the restaurant) and 2) We enjoyed an exceptional value at the special event/corporate rate we paid but I know I could find equally luxurious accomodations for less than the posted rate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FairmontOlympic, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Olympic Seattle, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Sara
Thank you for your feedback and we are pleased to hear that your recent stay changed your opinion about the hotel. We are sorry to hear that you experienced a delay with in room dining-- which is unacceptable. The hotel was sold out as you can imagine that places demands on our restaurants and in room dining. We are glad to hear that your breakfast in the Georgian was enjoyable! We look forward to welcoming you back.
Juneau, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

As much as I hate to say it my long time love affair with The Fairmont Olympic is over. I've really loved this beautiful historic hotel since the first time I stayed here, but after my last trip, we are breaking up. I had a room on the 2nd floor facing the street. It was so noisy it was unbearable. I went to the front desk in the morning and left a hand written note personally addressed to the guest relations manager. I left a business card and a cell phone number where I could be contacted. No one bothered to contact me. For my next trip, I'll choose a hotel with more concern for guest satisfaction.

I will say breakfast at the Georgian was delicious and the pool/spa are was fantastic (especially Dennise).

Room Tip: Choose a courtyard room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
FairmontOlympic, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Olympic Seattle, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear FromAlaska,
Thank you for taking time to write to us about your experience. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the service-- something we take great pride in. We did want to note that we are in the process of replacing all of our guest room windows-- the source of the majority of the street noise. As part of our effort to save energy and operate an eco frienly hotel, we are in the process of replacing our guest room windows with insulated triple panes. Please feel free to email me about your other concerns- kristin.gladfelter@fairmont.com and I will ensure that they are addressed.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at the Faimont in Seattle. I reaaly liked the stuff and the way they treated me. The restaurant was very good, everybody was very helpfull. The frontdesk desk was fast and effcient and the hostess Donna at the Georgian was very nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Fairmont Olympic Seattle? Share your experiences!