“In the Seattle University Area” 4 of 5 stars

Silver Cloud Hotel - Broadway
1100 Broadway, Seattle, WA 98122   |
Ranked #14 of 95 hotels in Seattle
Olympia, Washington
“In the Seattle University Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Our 2 queen bed room was large, newly remodeled and comfortable. Sleeping conditions were good. pretty quiet considering being in a University area. I felt the price was a little on the high side considering the location not being right downtown. Though we did not use the shuttle services, the hotel does offer a shuttle that will take you downtown. The indoor pool area is large, however the pool water was colder than expected. To access the pool area we had to take the elevator to the garage level and walk a short way through the parking garage...a little chilly especially on the way back when wet from the pool/hot tub.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

435 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We spent one night here while in Seattle for an event at the Key Arena. While some seattle visitors may want to stay closer to downtown tourist attractions like the Space Needle and Pike's Place Market, this hotel won't disappoint independent travelers or those needing to be in the immediate area.

The double queen room was spacious for two people and furniture is well maintained. The beds are comfortable with good linen, although I would've preferred a pillow with firmer support. The room lighting was reasonable. There was a mini-fridge and a good sized counter for you to place items near the entryway. There was a flat screen HD television but I didn't have a chance to check picture quality or channel selection.

The washroom was a smidge cramped but serviceable. Aveda toiletries were very welcome. Good shower pressure and water temperature was consistent. Plenty of towels for two people. Free wi-fi was reliable during our stay.

The hotel shuttle service is convenient and I wish I had called ahead to ask if I coild be picked up from the Bolt bus drop-off point near Chinatown. When we checked out, the helpful front desk agent asked where we were headed and arranged for us to be taken to the Amtrak station. The shuttle dropped off other guests one block away from the Pike's Place Market and told them to call for pick-up at that same place when they were ready. The shuttle driver also had excellent local knowledge and did everything possible to orient people to the area.

We didn't eat at Jimmy's but they had a very respectable beer and spirits menu. They had 12 or so Pacific Northwest beers on tap and our bartender seemed reasonably knowledgable about the selections.

I'm not sure where the complaints about the area come from, unless they are from those that wanted to be closer to the core downtown area. The area has all the basic things travelers would need... Restaurants and coffee shops, a Rite-Aid store and ATMs within a 3 minute walk. I didn't look closely at the public transit options nearby but the hotel is off Broadway so it shouldn't be difficult to get around by car or transit. For those driving, the entryway/loading area at the entrance is not large. We did not notice sirens or noise at all during our stay.

No, this is not a 4 or 5 star hotel with staff hanging off of you. However, this is a clean, serviceable 3.5 star hotel with staff that will get you settled into a comfortable room and help you get to where you want to go. Tthe free internet and courtesy shuttle make it good value too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Bow WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked our room through a discount travel company that doesn't show you the property name until you pay. I had specified a room in downtown Seattle, so I was really surprised when I saw our room was at the Silver Cloud Broadway. Not only is it on Capitol Hill, it is on the south end of Capitol Hill, which isn't the best neighborhood (I'm being nice). If you have business at the hospital or at Seattle U, it would be perfect, but for those of you wanting to hit Pike Place Market and other downtown sites, you may feel a bit isolated. You will (probably) need to drive or take the convenient shuttle service provided by the hotel.

Okay - location aside: this is a sweet charmer of a hotel! We had two queen beds and the room was large and VERY comfortable. I’m a big fan of fresh air, and they have these cool windows that leaver (?) out and away from the frame to let in just enough air. Others complained about sirens around the hospital, but that was not a problem for us at all. Aveda bath products are always a plus for me, as is a comfy bed with crisp linens – the room was just incredibly well appointed for the price! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Bonus points for Jimmy’s bar, who turned my husband and me on to our new favorite drink: A Dark and Stormy! Dark rum, hand-crafted Ginger Brew, and lime. So tasty - maybe that’s why we never heard any sirens! If you have business in this neighborhood, or don’t mind taking transportation to other parts of the city, definitely consider the lovely and well-appointed Silver Cloud for your Seattle stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonney lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here over New Years Eve and our room was perfect. I loved the layout of the room, the bed was comfortable and I loved the big jacuzzi tub in our room. I agree the staff was very pleasant and we will definately return. Thank you Silver cloud!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Don't let the name fool you. I thought the name sounded like a Best Western sort of property and was hesitant to stay but a friend had recommended it and it was in the perfect location for our visit to Seattle University. This is most definitely NOT a low end hotel rather it is more of a boutique hotel with great service and wonderful features- not the least of which is honesty on the part of its staff. How do I know? Because, unbelievably, we left a purse behind in our room full of cash, credit cards and a ID and they found it and promptly sent it back to us over night. We were thrilled to get it back!

Property highlights:
Location, location, location: next to Seattle University and Swedish Hospital and within walking distance of many, many restaurants, shops etc.

Price: we paid $139 for HUGE two-queen room. I am a meeting planner and my room was one of the largest rooms I've had in awhile and much larger than most 4star hotels, especially those in a city.

Free Shuttle: FREE--- yes, FREE- in a city! They keep a shuttle running all day that stops by the hotel every half hour with drop offs at convenient locations around the city. We used it to go to the light rail station upon our departure. So, for $2.75 for my train ticket (plus a tip for the driver), I was able to get from this hotel to Sea-Tac in about 45 minutes.

Room to move and stretch: Like I said above, my room was very large with two queens and a chair and ottoman. The room came with a microwave, small fridge and a small coffeemaker. Those were located to the side of the beds with a huge mirror and outlets/large counter surface so it could easily be used as a second mirror for someone to get ready by. The bathroom was sufficient, not huge, just a normal bath with tub. It was clean and efficient and I always appreciate the Aveda bath products. (in fact, when I saw they had Aveda products, I knew I wasn't going to be staying at a Best Western!)

For families: you can fit four adults or teens in here with room to move about. I don't think it would be a problem to fit five in here too and having those extra mirrors outside the bathroom are very helpful for multiple people to get ready at once.

Service: Every single employee was friendly, professional, swift and helpful. And, back to the honestly I mentioned above, the housekeeping staff are to be commended and I so appreciated the manager sending our purse back to us. It was handled with perfect professionalism.

Safety: There is an underground parking area that is controlled by a gated entrance so that no one can really enter the parking area without being in a car. The area is well lit and the elevators are close to the parking area.

Once you are a registered guest, you must use your room key to access the elevator and rooms so no one can walk in off the street and get to your room easily.

NO SMOKING Hotel-- Need I say more?

Jimmy's on Broadway: In-hotel restaurant was actually quite good and reasonably priced. They also provide the in-room service for the hotel.

I-Hop: Not my first choice by any means, but it's next door should you want some pancakes in the middle of the night. (hey, it's next to a college and a hospital)

Walking Distance to Downtown: it took me 15 minutes of normal walking speed to get to Pike Place Market and downtown. I recommend you go down Pike Street to avoid the steeper hill on James. Lots of restaurants, shops, etc... along the route and safety was never an issue.

So- what's not to love: Well, it didn't bug me, but some might complain about the fact that the TV is smack in front of one of the queen beds leaving anyone on the other bed to watch TV from the side. But, if that's your biggest complaint I think you're doing pretty good.

Final thoughts: The Silver Cloud Hotel is a gem of a find for anyone looking for a reasonably priced hotel near one of the hospitals and Seattle University. The shuttles make getting downtown painless for those who don't want to walk and they definitely helped to get us to the train station. The lobby is welcoming and warm, the staff are friendly, the rooms are superior and the hotel earns it's high marks for all of the above.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Seattle Universities' grounds.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed here 4 nights over Christmas. This property has an underground parking, which is secure, even though it's on the fringe of 'downtown'. The room was absolutely lovely and had a nice view of the church across the street. Our room was on the 6th floor and VERY QUIET, well except for the sirens, which couldn't be helped. We didn't use the pool or hot tub but did check it out and was nice.
The beds were comfy with lots of pillows. The comforter was very heavy though and ended up on the floor. The other bedding was nice and warm enough without the comforter.
The other thing that really was nice was haveing 2 sinks! One by the refrig/microwave and the other in the bathroom. Their towels were really absorbant too.
This is a nice hotel and very central to medical and the downtown area.
Aeveda products were used as toiletries too!

Room Tip: Nice and quiet on the 6th floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed three nights mixing medical testing with business. Made extensive use of the shuttles. The drivers were most accommodating and able to get me to appointments both downtown and at the various hospitals on time, even during heavy traffic. The hotel was friendly, with a comfortable feel. The rooms had microwaves, refrigerators and free internet which was what I needed. The restaurant was not fancy but the personnel were friendly, the food was good and the service was prompt. All in all, if you need to get to the various hospitals on “pill hill” and also get downtown without the hassles of driving or parking this is a comfortable friendly place to stay and I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up and overlooking courtyard are quietest.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Silver Cloud Hotel - Broadway? Share your experiences!