“Great Idea to get oriented to the Public Market” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 165 Activities in Seattle
More attraction details
Owner description: Public Market Tour is a one-hour walking tour of the “soul of Seattle.” At 104 years old, Pike Place Market is the oldest continuously operating market in the United States. Hear fascinating stories filled with intriguing tales of immigration, internment, and urban renewal. See fish fly, seasonal produce stands, and hardworking flower growers that make Pike Place Market famous.Tours operate daily, year-round . Visit our website or call for up to date availability.
Hatfield, Pennsylvania
14 attraction reviews
“Great Idea to get oriented to the Public Market”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I had the pleasure of taking the tour with Nick. I was traveling alone on a business trip, and wanted to see the market, but it's so big it was hard to know where to start. We were able to walk around the market, and learn some of the history. Nick had quite a few historic pictures of the market and showed us the pictures as we were standing at that place. He was very knowledgeable, and patient, and answered all of our questions. And after the tour was over, he was willing to help with recommendations, and give us advice, and answer all questions. He was in no hurry to rush off just because the tour was over. It was very nice to be treated with that kind of respect. I really enjoyed the tour.

Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
Detroit, Michigan
“A must do and see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have been staying in Washington a few months for business and have been down to Pike Place several times and loved it. I decided to do this tour with my grandmother when she came to visit. I bought the tickets discounted online from their website. Our guide Ezra is a local and historian so needless to say he had a wealth of great information about the market. He pointed out things I would have never know and did not know from previous visits just wandering around the market.

Now we were not fortunate enough to have a bright sunny day, it was rainy and chilly, but the tour is only an hour and you are not outside the entire time. This is a great way to see and learn about the market and hit key areas if you are short on time.

A few tips. Be aware this is a walking tour and it is one hour. You will be mostly outside,you do go inside a few times, so be sure to check the weather. As I said for us it was chilly and rainy, fortunately we wore warm clothing and hats. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes as you will be walking uphill and downhill several times. Since this is a walking tour and it's only one hour, you don't take breaks or sit. My grandmother enjoyed the tour immensely but the uphill downhill took a little bit of a toll on her and towards the very end she said she needed a rest. This was pretty much a history tour so you don't actually go into any of the shops or stalls.

The nice thing about the tour is that after you are done you can still walk around the market and your guide will be kind enough to point out the great places to eat and provide directions.

Overall this was a great tour! I recommend it to anyone who has never been to Pike Place before.

Visited March 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
“Laid back way to take it all in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I would have missed more just wandering the Public Market without the guidance. I think it was a valuable resource since I had limited time to spend in this tourist area.

Visited January 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Lots of fun at Pike Market”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The reviews I read were good, someone had recommended it and so I booked the Pike Market tour for my stay in Seattle. Aaron was our guide on a beautfully warm sunny day (apparently it rains often!) and I was so surprised to learn he was new in this role. His knowledge of Pike Market and Seattle in general was great and all of it presented with a sense of humour. It was a great way to be introduced to a new city, and to get the 'flavour' of the place from a local. The tour included the history of the market, some of the quirky local artwork, and points of historical and cultural interest in the nearby streets. I'm not telling you any more, I recommend you just go see it for yourself!

Visited August 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Pike place market tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We booked the Pike Place market tour in advance from the reviews on Trip Advisors, and we weren't disappointed. We were lucky enough to have a gorgeous day for the tour which was taken by Tyler who was a brillient guide! It was fascinating to hear all the history and Tyler added his own twist to the facts which made for a hilarious hour.
Thoroughly recommended, wirth every penny.

Visited September 2012