“Magical trip into the past” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 178 Attractions in Seattle
Type: State Parks, Outdoors
Activities: Kayaking
More attraction details
Owner description: Reachable only by tour or private boat, Blake Island has 475 acres of land and features views of the Seattle skyline.
Little Rock, Arkansas
15 attraction reviews
“Magical trip into the past”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Tillicum Indians operate a sweat lodge, I have this on my "to do" list for my next visit to Washington. While I am waiting to have that experience, I am recalling the taste of the specially prepared salmon and the magical atmosphere of native chanting, prayer and dance that accompanied this experience. Just pop over to Pier 55, and take a one hour ferry ride across the Sound, with the crisp air rushing past you and the smell of the salt water bringing you back to your origins. The foods are specially prepared and not the normal fare one might expect in a restaurant, but then you are immersing yourself into the experience of another culture. I can hardly wait to do this again, but they do close for the winter. I hope to take the whole family to Blake Island, the Tillicum experience, when they open in the spring

Visited March 2012

Marysville, Washington
77 attraction reviews
“Blake Island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

You can pay for a boat to take you, or take your own boat. Indian Village on Island on the western Puget Sound. Easy access from the east side of the sound.

Portland, Oregon
“An overnight sailing adventure and only 1hr by boat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Te park also has a local Indian show and salmon feat that is totally worth it. The salmon is cooked open fire and the lodge is fun to walk around. Walk around the island, deer abound and are not shy. A great little find...I highly recommend the volunteer staff in the marina if you go by your own boat and or take the local ferry from Seattle

Visited September 2012
Los Angeles, California
5 attraction reviews
“Great way to spend a day in Seattle!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My Mom, son, and I took this excursion to Blake Island/Tillicum village. It was a 50 min. boat ride on Argosy Cruises to the Island. We were lucky to go on a day with perfect weather and the Sound was as smooth as glass. 50 min. went by too fast as the skipper was giving an informative tour about the history of the Seattle area, interesting facts on the local mountains, Puget Sound and more.

After arriving we had the clams in broth as other TA reviews have mentioned and stomped on and crushed our shells as tradition calls for.

The Salmon was some of the best I have ever eaten. I cook Salmon myself at least once a week and I order it often when eating out but I was really impressed with this salmon. I was also pleasantly surprised that I liked other items available in the buffet. The salad and dressing were delicious. I normally do not like buffets but the salmon was cooked to perfection before our eyes and absolutely delicious and the rest of the food was quite good as well.

We enjoyed the show and walked around the Island reading about it's history, beach combing for shells, and spotting deer.

I recommend this excursion and would love to return to the Island again some day to spend more time.

Visited August 2012
Seattle, Washington
98 attraction reviews
“Blake Marine State Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Go to Tillicum village by boat leaving from Seattles waterfront. When you arrive there you are greeted by people serving you steamed clams. There is a Native American show to watch while you are dining on Salmon,Indian fry bread,potatoes, berry tart, and a chocolate fish. You can go back in the line and get seconds and thirds on the salmon.