“Perfect UW area location, great service and amenities - hoping not to need their umbrellas next time :-)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Watertown Hotel Seattle

$20 Off per Night!
Ranked #23 of 93 hotels in Seattle
Boulder, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My husband, son, and I stayed here for six nights while visiting Seattle and UW on a college-hunting visit. We loved the room (507, two-queen studio), the awesome modern-but-not-stark decor, the free umbrellas (one was in the closet, and we borrowed another one from the front desk on one particularly wet day), the friendly staff, the not-too-crowded parking garage (accessible by key card which gave a nice sense of security), the washer/dryer (one on each floor), the afternoon/evening coffee (the decaf was good, which is not common!), and even the pineapple mini-muffins (except for the icing).

I'm not lowering my rating because of the sheets, but I will comment.... yes they are short, but what bothered me about them was the noise! I worried that I would wake up my husband - or my son in the next bed - every time I moved. Speaking of noise, we did have what I call a "stomp-walker" in the room above us. It didn't bother us because we kept approximately the same waking/sleeping hours, but we did hear those heavy footfalls, so if that really concerns you, maybe you can ask for a top-floor room. (Personally, I can tell when my footsteps are reverberating in a hotel room, so I always try to make sure I don't do it. Sometimes it's impossible to be quiet, but I had no trouble with that at Watertown.)

I'll mention a few of the nearby amenities and conveniences. Right across the street is Trinity Market; it has a little bit of everything (bigger and nicer than a 7-Eleven), I got some Odwalla juices and some disposable plastic containers for leftovers (which we stockpiled in the room fridge and then took with us to our next hotel on the itinerary and then never ate). The Pineapple Cafe didn't have enough variety in its menu for our picky-eating teen son, so we walked two blocks every morning to eat at the spectacular Portage Bay Cafe. Two blocks in a different direction takes you to a 24-hour Subway (where we picked up breakfast early in the morning when we were leaving town) with a 24-hour donut shop right next door. Three blocks away is an all-vegan (if you're into that - we are) Thai restaurant called Araya's Place. Gas station two blocks away also (with air for your leaky rental car tire - I hope you don't need that, but we did). And the hotel is about an 8-minute walk to the edge of the UW campus. And of course you can imagine all the amenities that college proximity can offer.

A comment about several of the great photos that another reviewer added. As I'm sure you can tell, that is not an average room! I'll label my room photos with "2-queen studio" at the beginning so you can see exactly what that type of room is like. (As of this writing, I think the website has only one photo of a 2-queen studio, but I could be wrong about that.) Our room *did* have that awesome "port-holed" bathroom door, which we had some fun with.

Room Tip: The two-queen studio had plenty of room for us, with fridge, microwave, and Keurig coffee-maker.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ConnieSchneider, Manager at Watertown Hotel Seattle, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Emilyg28, We value your review of our lovely boutique hotel in the U-district. We appreciate both the information as well as the photos. We are in the process of purchasing new sheets so when you return to Seattle, we hope to delight you with new sheets and hopefully some sunshine!

577 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

The Watertown is comfortable and clean and has some nice amenities as others have listed (coffee, water, free parking). I have the same complaint on the linens as Snowbird. They were very loose and starchy where they easily slipped off the bed.
Location was easily accessible and you could walk to restaurants in Wallingford and the U District. They also have some bikes that you can borrow, but the Seattle weather put a damper on that plan. Maybe next time, we'll be back.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ConnieSchneider, Manager at Watertown Hotel Seattle, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Hey mc423, As you can see from a few previous notes, we are aware of the short linen situation, and are working diligently to remedy this! Thanks for all your other accolades and let's hope on you next return to Seattle, our weather will cooperate with you and you can take advantage of our complimentary loaner bikes to take a scenic ride!
Mankato, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Very convenient location to the university district. Very good security, underground parking, good neighborhood and close to small shops and restaurants. Room was clean and comfortable in this new hotel. Nice touches Keuring coffee maker, bottled water, wi fi, thick towels, clever design, refrigerator, microwave, safe, desk. Our room had a nice view of Seattle through nice windows. Comfortable lobby with computers to use. Definitely would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view on the upper floors-it will be quieter too
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you timberwolf69110 for all your flattery.... we aim to please! We appreciate your business and hope you return to visit again sometime in the not-too-distant future!
New York State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is a nice spot near the University and many of Seattle's north neighborhoods. While it is not luxurious, it is functional and rooms include a microwave and small refrig. The bathroom has nice granite countertops. Breakfast is not included, but the cafe off the lobby has breakfast and other fare for a reasonable price. The underground parking at no charge is really a plus. The biggest negative is the bed linens. They don't use fitted sheets on the bottom, and the flat sheet they do use isn't quiet big enough to hold. So in the morning you are likely to wake up in a mess of sheeting!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello sn0bird 66, and thank you for your positive comments about our crown jewel in the
U-district. We appreciate your feedback! We are aware of the linen situation and are addressing a solution this early next year. Hopefully, by the time you return, your sheets will stay tucked in!
Buffalo, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Some nice touches in this hotel:
1) Parking in a secure garage (accessible by room key) is included in the rate.
2) Complementary cupcakes, apples and coffee in the lobby.
3) Keurig coffeemaker, bottled water, refrigerator and microwave in the room.
4) Excellent security. Access to hotel floors requires room key to be inserted in a card reader in the elevator. (The neighborhood is not at all sketchy, but this and the secure garage were still nice.)
5) Thick bath towels!

We also liked the location: close to UW, The Ave (wide variety of economical food choices), and University Village (upscale shopping and dining). Don't miss Portage Bay Cafe and the University District Farmers Market. We had a car, so we drove to downtown Seattle and found garage parking for $7 for the (weekend) day....but we loved staying in an area that was not as busy as downtown.

I would have given this hotel five stars, but there were two things we didn't like:
1) The sheets on the beds are too short. .
2) Other than the treadmill, the cardio machines in the exercise room are not in good shape.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ConnieSchneider, Manager at Watertown Hotel Seattle, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you Mary S for your positive comments about our lovely hotel in the U-district. I appreciate your feedback about our added touches.
We are in the process of considering a linen purchase and will take into consideration the length of the sheets. Additionally, I will assess the equipment in the gym to ensure all pieces are in tip top shape!
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Seattle is expensive, so shop around on Hotels.com or Booking.com and definitely use Trip Advisor to review everything you’re looking at. After days of searching, I came across this place and I’m thrilled I did. First, it has free underground parking which is always a plus. It has great staff who are very friendly and happy to help point to great restaurants or things to do. It’s in a great location, right in the heart of the University area which means lots of different places to eat and public transit. The hotel has a pool but it isn’t located within the building, it’s about a block away. It has free wi-fi that is strong and that’s necessary for trip planning. The room we had was amazing…two big begs and a very cool separate space with a counter and bathroom. There was an extra sink outside the bathroom which is always helpful when you have three people in the room. Awesome Keurig coffee maker which makes fabu coffee and tea. We were on the sixth floor and the only noise you hear is sirens which are quite frequent. I slept through it but my partner didn’t. If you’re sensitive to noise, bring earplugs. The only negative we had with this hotel was that they didn’t tell us that the free shuttle to downtown should be pre-booked. So when we phoned down the next morning, they informed us that the next three hours of the shuttle bus was booked. Seriously? So they gave us bus directions which were wrong so we waited at a bus stop for 30 minutes before finding the actual bus that went downtown. So other than that, things were great. I’m sure the free shuttle would have been useful so book ahead. I would stay at this hotel again for sure.

Room Tip: Nowhere is enough to escape the sirens...I think all the rooms are great.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ConnieSchneider, Manager at Watertown Hotel Seattle, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear GlobalGirl98,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review for other travelers.
We're delighted to read that your stay was a pleasant one and that our amenities and service were on par with what we strive to provide daily.

We're sorry to read that our popular shuttle was not available to you. Actually, we have made plans to implenent a larger shuttle which will double the seating capacity. Feedback like yours is critical to us, as we continuously work to meet and exceed our guests' expectations!

Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back in the not-too-distant future!

Connie Schneider
Hotel Manager
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

It's the most environmentally conscious hotel I have ever visited. And it's one of the most comfortable and luxurious without being ostentatious or wasteful. A lovely coffee / tea station, in-room refrigerator and even in-room recycling (1-7, with compostable materials and even batteries, etc. yawza!) Breakfast included, which was disappointing. An apple every day when the menu said "choice of fruit"? Tough on diabetics during a conference. A couple delis nearby, but not enough to be convenient. Thankfully, the staff bent the rules a little bit and gave some items not on the menu to help out. The afternoon snacks were a nice tough. Overall, a great find!

Room Tip: Pick a room high up in the building for a nicer view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
MarcoBaumann, General Manager at Watertown Hotel Seattle, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear CarolF,

Thank you for your review! We're glad that our attention to efficiency and conservation struck a chord with you. We're also happy that we were able to accommodate you personally. We place great attention to "knowing to say yes" service.

We hope to welcome you back soon! Thanks again.

Marco Baumann
Managing Director

Been to Watertown Hotel Seattle? Share your experiences!