“A really nice place to stay near lots of Seattle fun” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #43 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Clayton, North Carolina
“A really nice place to stay near lots of Seattle fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Our stay was from Wednesday to Saturday early in June before a cruise trip departing from Seattle. My wife and I, our 15 year old daughter, and my wife's parents stayed in a 2-bedroom suite which was very comfortable. One room had a king bed and the other had 2 queens. Additionally the sofa bed was quite comfortable according to my daughter, who chose it over the queen bed in order to have her own space (and TV). Having 2 bathrooms was also a big asset for the 5 of us. The kitchenette was small but fine for us. We didn't do any cooking, just heated up leftovers, made coffee, and kept drinks in the fridge (icemaker was nice to have). The living room area was comfortable for all of us to sit around in the evening, with a comfortable chair and sofa, plus the 4 chairs in the kitchenette. We did not have a lake view or balcony but I didn't consider that a downside.
We did have a rental car (a minivan), and did not really find the size of parking spaces to be a problem. I was able to drive to the back of the level for full size cars (there are 2 entrances and it appeared 2 different levels), and find plenty of spaces. I will admit that it is a bit of a challenge dealing with the concrete support pillars (which were really more of an issue than the width of the space), but it is possible to park a large vehicle here. I do feel that the cost for parking in their deck is high, but it was a secure lot, only accessible using the hotel keycard.
We had barbeque food for the manager's reception (only Wednesday, since it is only done Mon-Wed), and the food was quite good, especially considering it was free. Breakfast was also very good, and we considered this one of the important factors in choosing this hotel).
We rented a car to make getting around simpler, but the Seattle traffic (especially at rush hour), bizarre intersections (I counted 7 streets coming together at one place), layers of roads (which confused the GPS or at least my understanding of it!), and parking cost made this less than enjoyable. However, since 2 of our group can not walk very far at a time, we felt this was a better choice for us than using public transport. In a different situation, I would probably go with public transport (or even walk - Seattle Center and its attractions would be walkable).
Laundry facilities at the hotel were quite nice and reasonably priced. The room was kept at a reasonable temperature and both washer (30 minutes) and dryer (60 minutes) were one dollar.
We also enjoyed the hot tub (except for one night when it was closed due to an "accident" in the water :), and my daughter went into the pool, although it was a bit chilly for my taste. There is a nice pool with dept from 3-6 feet, and a smaller separate wading pool. The fitness center was also nicely equipped.
One downside of this hotel was that there were no restaurants to speak of within a short distance (especially for walking). However, we were offered menus for a number of restaurants offering delivery. We discovered a very nice pizza at Pagliacci's, which had pepperoni from Salumi's.
Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful whenever called on. Everything was very clean.
Overall, I would definitely stay here again. For a group like ours, the 2 bedroom suite was a great deal compared to 2 separate rooms at other hotels. The amenities made the room rate an even better option.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Due to a flood in my condo my insurance company put me up here for 3.5 weeks. The rooms are nice - exactly as they are in the photos. In fact I think most rooms are identical down to the decorations.
Noise: I had a 1 bedroom on the backside of the building on the 6th floor. I looked out on office buildings, a play area for a daycare, I5, etc. Not super scenic but quiet, which was much more important to me than a good view. I didn't hear any of my neighbors the entire time and I know it was sold out at least two of the weekends I was there. Despite being above the atrium I never heard the breakfast crowd noise.
Cleanliness: The place was spotless with clean sheets and towels. My room had a dishwasher and the houskeeping staff would run it if they saw I had used a number of things.
Comfort: The couch was a weird chaise lounge type thing, but otherwise the funiture was great. The bed has a pillowtop which was a little soft for my taste (and I probably only noticed it because I was there for so long). The king bed is huge, so it was a lovely change from my bed at home.
Exercise Facilities: The work out room is well equipped with towels, water, weights, machines, treadmills and eliplicals. I never had to wait to use anything. I did not use the sauna or the pool/hot tub but lots of people seemed to be enjoying them.
Service: The staff were fine - not super friendly but also not in my business. When I needed more hangars they were brought up promptly. I thought after 3 weeks they might have started to recognize me coming and going. They didn't, but its no big deal. They were there when I needed them which is the important part.
Location: It is within walking distance to downtown or an easy bus or streetcar ride. To get to other areas of the city you will want a car or taxi. I had to either walk about 1/4 of a mile to a bus to take an express bus (309) to work or take two buses (I work on First Hill at Harborview) to get there. The neighborhood feels safe. It is THE up and coming neighborhood of Seattle. There is a lot of money being spent on new offices and condos to house Microsoft/Gates Foundation/Amazon yuppies. Once the Mercer Street construction is done it will be way more walkable. If you are looking for a hotel on the lake this is not it--the lake is across a very busy street and behind many businesses. Unless you are renting a houseboat you will not find anyplace actually on the lake.
Parking: Parking is very, very tight. I drive a 95 Honda Civic and I fit neatly and snuggly in the spots. They seem to have a seperate garage for SUVs but there were a number of larger cars parked in my garage too. The car got dinged/scratched on the door from someone parking too close/not paying attention. A lot of the cars were rentals so I don't think people were as careful opening doors as they are in their own cars. My car is not new and already has dings so it was not a huge deal but if you care about that you might be best on the street or in the SUV lot.
Food: The breakfast buffet was great! Healthy and not healthy options everyday. I have stayed at a lot of hotels that offer "continental breakfast". This is a serious buffet breakfast. Mon-Wed there is a "managers reception" with food and (on Wednesdays) beer and wine. It varied from hot dogs and potato salad to a nice selectionof greek food to BBQ. Not super healthy, but free. And if you are exhausted and don't feel like cooking yourself dinner it is a great benefit.
Internet: the wifi is free after you accept their terms (check a box). The wifi was fast and never went dow the entire time.
TV: my room had a TV in both rooms with a nice picture and limited cable channels.
Value: the rooms are not cheap and parking is $20/night. But if you need a clean, safe room with all the comforts of home it is worth it.
I have absolutely no complaints about the Residence Inn. It was my home when I needed one and I had a great experience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

We stayed a week in early May and have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. We chose a 1 bdrm suite and it was perfect. We didn't really need to use the kitchenette much since there is the breakfast and 3 days of managers special dinner.

The parking was indeed tight and we scraped the rental car (toyota camry). I can understand why it is $21 a night as we come from a larger city with high parking fees in the downtown area.

Location was good and we enjoyed the streetcar and walking to downtown with the stroller. Enjoyed Dukes Chowderhouse and I Love Sushi across the street with the kids.

Pool was clean, albeit a bit cold. Staff very friendly, and never too busy for you.

Nice playground across the street.

Would recommend this hotel to any friends travelling to Seattle with kids, and even without.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Hillsboro, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

Because I'm a Marriott Rewards Silver Elite member, we were “upgraded” to a 2-bedroom/2-bath suite (from the 1-bedroom I had reserved), but since there were only two of us (my husband and I) it wasn’t much of an upgrade. Our rooms were in the back side of the hotel, looking over a side street and some medical offices nextdoor. There was a tiny balcony with one chair, and out there was the only way to see Lake Union. Each bedroom and bathroom was identical, except one had a desk and desk chair. The living room/kitchen area seemed smaller than the one in the only other Residence Inn I’ve stayed in, possibly because it was a 2-bedroom unit.

There were several restaurants across the (busy) street from the hotel, including a Hooters where we ate lunch (just okay; been there/done that, don’t need to try Hooters again). Since we had a late lunch, we decided to have dinner at the hotel’s complimentary “manager’s reception” which turned out to be hotdogs, macaroni salad, and bags of potato chips. Not really much of a dinner, in my opinion. The lemon squares for dessert were good, and we each had a complimentary glass of beer or wine. The morning breakfast was better, with a good variety of hot and cold foods. There were plenty of tables in the large lobby/atrium area around a nice indoor waterfall area.

The staff were very pleasant and helpful. We parked in the garage under the hotel, accessed by using your room cardkey. It was very tight and I wouldn’t want to try to park anything larger than a mid-size car. We took the streetcar into downtown Seattle, getting on and off at the stop very close to the hotel. This is a very convenient, and kind of fun, way to get from the Lake Union area to downtown.

All in all, the hotel was very clean, comfortable, and a nice place to stay. We walked by the pool and exercise area, which looked nice. There seemed to be a mix of customers, from leisure travelers like ourselves, to people there because of its proximity to the medical center nearby, to business travelers.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

Very nice property, clean, spacious, lots of choices for breakfast. Some things I haven't seen in other reviews. Directly past the hotel less then 25 yards is Aloha Street on one side, Valley Street on the other side. Both of these streets border the hotel. Parking is FREE from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. AND Parking from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. is $1.25 an hour with a TEN hour maximum. There are machines that take credit cards. So even if you were to park there for 24 hours it would still only be $12.50 compared to the 20+ they charge inside the hotel.

Also directly across the street from the hotel are numerous seafood restaurants right on Lake Union. We ate at Joey's one night and C (something) the next night. Both were excellent.

The hotel is less than five minutes to downtown and ten minutes by car to Pike's Market.

Reasons the hotel didn't get five stars. Like most properties, their fitness facilities were only okay. Two Life Fitness ellipticals, two treadmills, and a few free weights. There is a very nice 24 Hour Fitness at 1827 Yale Street, approximately five minutes away by car.

Their "evening food" was plentiful; however they only serve it Monday through Wednesday; what is up with that?? And they only offered beer and wine on Tuesday.

Also, during rush hour from downtown this hotel takes a while to get to with a lot of traffic trying to get on I-5. Non-rush hour is a breeze.

Staff is very friendly which is always a plus. Internet is free as it should be. Overall, an excellent place where I will stay again.

Cheers.

Marius

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver B.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We stayed there for the 1st time in February for a night . We were getting together with friends from Eastern wa . We have stayed at many hotels in Seattle over the years and this will be the one from now on. Great Value for the price , huge room , We booked a 2 bedroom suite ,we had lots of room and large patio also a full kitchen. And is right across the street from great restaurant's !!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

Hotel was nice. Rooms were great. Breakfast was best I have ever had at a hotel. Parking situation was a nightmare! Not sure how they can legally charge $26 to park in a garage where the spaces are too small and tight to actually park in. Turning radius was so small I had to go back and forth 12 times to get turned into it. Even the small cars were so close together that I'm sure everyone had door dings. Only way I would stay there again would be if I didn't have a car. Seemed a bit greedy to try and fit that many spaces in.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union? Share your experiences!