“Unbelievably horrible! Worst experience ever!” 1 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #18 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Unbelievably horrible! Worst experience ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

We made reservations for an Emerald Suite at the Grand Hyatt for the night prior to and the night of our July 1 wedding. Several times prior to the date of check-in, my husband called to confirm various details (we wanted a bottle of champagne on ice for our July 1 wedding night, etc.). I checked in to the hotel on the day prior to our wedding. I requested the specific suite we looked at, which had a view of the Space Needle and the water. We were told we could not request a specific room until check-in, and when I did request it at check-in, I was told that was the room we had. It was not. We had a water and a city view. Still a nice view, but not at all what we had expected or were promised (the Space Needle and water view was requested). When we asked the bellboys (there were 2 standing around and no other guests in the lobby at the time) to help us with our bags, which were in our car in the garage, they argued as to who had to help us. Finally, one lost the argument and escorted us with a cart to our car. Upon arriving at our car, without saying a word the whole way, the bellboy threw our luggage onto the cart and haphazardly threw my wedding dress on top of it all. He then proceeded to bang the cart into the wall twice on the way back down to the lobby with no apology. When we got to the lobby, my mother asked him to step away from the cart and not touch our stuff. He started to argue with her. We got a different bellboy to take our items up to my room. When I got to the room I discovered that not only were we not given the room we had asked for (and been told we received), but the champagne for the wedding night was waiting on ice on the coffee table. I took it off the ice, called the appropriate number and asked them to please re-place it on ice on Friday, the night of our wedding. The night prior to the wedding, I ordered room service. A very simple order. After waiting for almost an hour for the food to arrive, it was incorrect. On our wedding night, my husband and I returned to the room to find the champagne where I had left it the day prior, on the end table next to the couch...no ice. At 8:53AM on the morning after our wedding, housekeeping rang the doorbell to the suite. Check out was not until noon. This was the part that upset me the most. 8:53 am the morning after our wedding! Not only did housekeeping ring the doorbell (the door to the suite is on the opposite end and in another room than the bedroom), they proceeded to enter. Repeat, this is the morning after our wedding. Ah! Needless to say, at this point we were ready to vacate this room that we paid way, way too much money for. The bellboy arrived to help with our baggage and it was the one from the day before that I had had such a bad experience with. He took our luggage and rolled it outside to the valet area. He left it and did not tell the valet which car it was to be loaded into (meanwhile, we were inside checking out). Upon check-out, I shared these experiences with the employee at the desk, he apologized and credited the room service back. After all of the various mess-ups that occurred, I will never stay at that hotel again. Not only that, but whenever I drive by it (I am from the Seattle area), I will be reminded of what a horrible experience I had there in the days surrounding my wedding. Thankfully, my husband and I were too happy with each other to let it ruin our wedding night. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. I cannot even express on here how deeply this whole experience disappointed us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2005

I spent two nights here a on business couple of weeks ago. The room was OK, although the bedding is full of feathers (pillows, mattress pad) so I had to expressly request that housekeeping not put back the pillowtop mattress pad. Huge bathroom, actually unneccessarily large for my needs. The minibar is computerized, so if you even move something to see what it is you'll be charged for it. Biggest problem was on checkout day, when I had breakfast in the restaurant and checked out before the cost was posted to my account. They faxed me a copy of my receipt, then double-charged me for the breakfast. It's been a week and a half and it still isn't straightened out. Odd for a Hyatt.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2005

This was my first time staying in a Hyatt and it was certainly a good experience. Checkin was excellent. As soon as the Lady realised how tired we were, she rushed right through everything and sent us straight off to our room.

The room was exactly as expected - a corner suite with a separate sitting room and bedroom area. The bathroom was excellent with a very nice bath and separate shower (decent pressure). Two televisions (4:3 CRT) and choice of wired and wireless internet (decent speed).

Location is very good - right in the centre by all the shops and other major hotels. Seattle is a fantastic compact city with almost everything in walking distance. Room service was quick, good quality and not too expensive.

Overall would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2005
4170 Sunset Lane, Pebble Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

We arrived in the early evening in Seattle and stayed at the Grand Hyatt and loved the location! The staff at the front reception as well as the doorman that delivered sunglasses left in the rental car that went to valet parking as soon as we requested them were in the true Hyatt tradition of service. We had room service the next morning and everything was delivered perfectly - we would recommend this hotel to all our familly and friends when visiting Seattle!

long island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2005

Just completed a one night stay at the Grand Hyatt Seattle. We were very happy with everything and can't complain. The staff was professional and courteous. Everyone from the front desk staff to the housekeeping staff was friendly and always greeted us.Jason checked us in immediately and was extremely nice, efficient, and welcoming. The house keeping staff does a great job in keeping the rooms clean. The decor was modern, the bathrooms beautiful. We were upgraded at no additional charge to a corner suite, maybe because of our Platinum status or maybe because it was a monday. The view was amazing and we loved the electronic blinds and huge room. There is a great shuttle run by Gray Line that takes you to the hotel for 17 dollars round trip, 10.25 one way. We only took the shuttle from the hotel which left at 15 minutes past the hour and 45 minutes past the hour. It was right on time and took less than 45 minutes including two stops at other hotels prior to arriving at the airport. Much cheaper than a 30-40 dollar plus tip cab ride. We have gone to the restaurant Brooklyn on this trip and our last trip also. The entertainment book provides a buy one get one free coupon for it and the food although pricey is worth it. The entertainment book provides many buy one get one free coupons to local attractions including the art museum, Victoria Clipper, aquarium, and others. The hotel is in a good location to attractions and shopping.Pikes market is a straight 10-15 minute walk from the hotel. It is right next door to an awesome movie theatre and the Cheese Cake factory. If you can get a great deal this is a hotel that I would go back to.

Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2005

Location - Central downtown
Price - Reasonable for the quality of the hotel
Rooms - Huge bathrooms are the highlight but everything is brand new
Service - Great
What it lacks - no pool
Overall - The Grand Hyatt is amazing and the only place I'd stay in Seattle.

• Stayed March 2005
Lebanon, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2005

I stayed at this hotel during a large conference at the convention center a block away. I found the rooms to be comfortable and ample. The bathroom was huge, with separate bathtub and enclosed shower. The room was impeccably clean. Front desk staff was very accommodating. Every request (extra hangers, extra towels, a refrigerator in the room, etc.) was fulfilled quickly and cheerfully with a follow-up phone call to the room making sure the service had met our needs. Also, for those attending a conference, you can get from the hotel to the convention center without getting wet when it rains (which it does do in Seattle) thanks to some creative architecture. I would stay at this hotel again in a hearbeat.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business

Been to Grand Hyatt Seattle? Share your experiences!