“Very good but not great” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #19 of 95 hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Montreal
“Very good but not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Stayed two nights on business. Large hotel, well situated downtown (near the flagship Nordstom's store). The room was clean and large. Had OK view of the water. Very good gym- above average. Few negatives except lax security (anyone can get on elevator whenever), no free internet anywhere (a pet peave of mine) except in the attached Starbucks, and rough towels. I'd stay again but preferred my stay at the W last time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

1,217 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Good hotel; corner suite very good. Modern, clean. No issues. Very good gym and facilities. Stay here when in Seattle. Very good experience and I have stayed here several times.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed here over the NYE weekend, and we liked this hotel!

Pros:
* Quiet rooms. We upgraded to a corner on the 17th floor, and the bedroom is very quiet.
* Almost-new rooms. As you can see in the photos, the condition of our room was excellent.
* Good service - everyone we interacted with (check-in, check-out, other folks we talked with, etc) was very courteous and helpful.
* Location - we arrived very late our first night, and didn't feel the least bit unsafe. Just a few blocks from the market and downtown.

Cons:
* Dining is a bit limited. There's Ruth's Chris and Starbucks (or in-room dining, priced like Ruth's Chris), but no breakfast buffet or hotel restaurant. (The spectrum is wide, but not a lot in the middle.)

But that's about it. Overall, we liked this place. We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights for Christmas. Used the Hyatt points, but looking at the price listed, it is very reasonable, especially for such a great location and amenities.

Customer Service:
I have been a member of Hyatt for years, and I must say, I have never been as impressed by the customer service as at the Grand Hyatt Seattle. Normally, at more corporate hotel like this, you receive the more courteous type of customer service, more like "I'm doing this because I have to, not because I want to". But here, everyone is very friendly and seems generally happy to help. We were also greeted by our names, which hardly ever happens anymore in this type of hotel. In fact, after our stay, the Mr actually called the hotel to find out where they got their salmon served at the Grand Club was from and they actually contacted him back w/ the information. It was a simple gesture, but I have contacted other hotel to find information on something they served during our previous stay, and was ignored even though they're known for their excellent customer service.

Room:
We had a gorgeous view of the water from our room. The room itself is not too big, but not too small; very comfortable size for a hotel room. The bathroom however is not the typical Hyatt bathroom. It reminds me more of the Vegas hotels bathroom (think Bellagio, Wynn, etc). Loved the soak tub, and my request for bath salt was accommodated without any problems, although I am still confused as to why hotels w/ tubs don't provide bath salt/soap for this purpose without having to request it. You can't exactly use regular shower gel to take a bath.
The bed is typical Hyatt bed, comfortable enough. However, the pillows are so flat we had to fluff them up by sleeping on two (three for me). I don't understand why hotels spend so much money on every other aspect of their hotels, except for the pillows. You spend most of your time on top of them, comfort is necessity!

Location: you know what that say, location location location. Walking distance to pretty much everything. Granted Seattle is not that big and easily accessible, but this location is located in a perfect spot for tourists. You are literarily smacked in the middle of the shopping area when you walk out of the hotel, and just a short few blocks walk to Pike Place. It's only 1 or 2 block walk to the bus stop so hopping in and out of busses is not a problem at all.

Fitness Center:
I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the fitness center. Plenty of machines and selections.
Minor incident which really wasn't the hotel's fault. Perhaps they should put up a big giant sign before the door to the hot tub area instead of the corner so everyone could see that proper attires are required to enter the area. Sure, it should be common knowledge that this area is coed, but apparently it is not common knowledge at all. We had the unpleasant incident w/ three women who let's just say not dressed for a coed area. It was uncomfortable for all, but especially for the Mr whose hot tubbing time was cut short w/ this incident.

Grand Club:
Okay, I've heard a lot of complaints about their Grand Club from another travel forum, so I wasn't expecting a lot. Sockeye salmon they served in the morning is the Mr's favorite (thus the calling the hotel for info on it). They don't serve hot food for breakfast, but honestly, I quite enjoy grabbing something quick here and having breakfast/lunch/brunch elsewhere later on. A lot of time, the breakfast served at the hotel isn't exactly the best quality anyway.
The afternoon snack consists of hot appetizers, veggies and dips, and drinks. Not a lot of selections, but good enough for snacking purposes. Alcohol is extra, which we weren't aware of *not that it'd stop us from ordering, but it'd be nice if there's a sign to indicate that* (the last day, the magic sign was there; perhaps someone complained?).
I must disclose that we had free access to the Grand Club because of my status. Not sure if I'd pay extra for it honestly. The view from the club was beautiful and the room was comfortable to hang out in, however, the food selection isn't worth how much you'd have to pay for. But since it's free for us, I can't complain much.

In conclusion, we had a great stay, and we will definitely consider the Grand Hyatt next time we're in Seattle.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

stayed here xmas and nye 2011. loved it.
we had suite on 28th floor overlooking awesome views.
brill staff.
food service was great.
clean sheets and very tidy rooms.
would stay here again. love it in winter times. so pretty.

Room Tip: the higher the floor the better the views
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

One of my favorite hotels to stay at. The room floors are very well done, quiet leaving to your room.

I love the corner rooms giving one an incredible view of the city.

Room Tip: Corner rooms !!!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
las vegas, nv, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

spent just 2 nights. got great rate b/c slow period between christmas and NYE. good location. anyone we interacted w at the property was very friendly. had corner room on high floor w/ good view. comfy bed. little things: single sheet toilet paper, crudy little plastic garbage cans, one cup serving in-room coffee machines and enough lotion for 1/2 of one body is sort of irritating in a Hyatt Grand. (but it was the same at the Grand Hyatt Waikiki a few months ago so that's a Hyatt ding, not particular to this location, I guess)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Grand Hyatt Seattle? Share your experiences!