“Great customer service from the hotel manager” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Seattle - Shoreline

You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Seattle - Shoreline to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Seattle - Shoreline
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   14115 Aurora Ave. North, Seattle, WA 98133   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #53 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary, Canada
“Great customer service from the hotel manager”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We recently had a booking issue at this hotel, and the hotel manager was fantastic in dealing with it. He made things right and really went above and beyond to fix the situation immediately. We would definitely stay here next time we are in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Rigby, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This is a good Holiday Inn Express, a remodeled property in North Seattle. The Northgate shopping, dining, and entertainment area, as well as the University district, are close by. Initially I was worried about the morning and afternoon commute to/from downtown, but I-5 was surprisingly free-flowing for most of the drive to and from on all three weekdays that I drove. The hotel is a typical HIE with all the standard amenities and standard breakfast found at the hotel chain's properties. I had no problems with the stay, and my room was clean and comfortable. The only two gripes that prevent me from giving the hotel a rating of "Excellent" are these: a tiny parking area that fills to capacity some nights, a part of which only compact cars are able to fit. At least it was free of charge to park. The other issue was the horrible internet access. When it worked, it was fast, but frequently throughout the evening, every 20 minutes or so the router would redirect my browser to the log-in page - over and over and over. Once is enough for the whole stay, thank you.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed here on business and it was poor to ok. They had renovations going on downstairs which wasn't such an issue. Some reviewers said it was for them. They appeared to be at the tail end of the renovations. The issue was the location. It was in a busy area with nothing desirable around it. It was very loud at night due to 99. Also the parking lot was small and the renovation truck took up a lot of spaces. Not many available. I should have stayed further north near at the HIE in Lynwood area. I will next time I go back to Shoreline.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Seattle - Shoreline, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear CBH_16,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had with the location of our hotel, the noise and the parking area. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
dallas,tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

it was kind hard to find that location in first time, but room and breakfast was good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed here with friends (8 of us; 4 to a room) for a couple of nights (June 15th & 16th, Friday and Saturday) on a trip to Seattle and our stay was ruined both nights by apparent complaints about the noise that we were apparently making. The first night after the notification of complaint from management, we quieted down our chatter and laughter, which already was strange because it did not seem to be at a level that was in any way unreasonable. 15 minutes later we received a call from management again, telling us to quiet down, to which we responded that there was no noise coming from our room. The complaints ruined our plans indoors for the evening, so that was night one.
Second evening, after coming back from dinner, 3 of us were in our room at about 10pm. The TV was on, showing Spiderman, and none of us were talking, when the manager Tim visited again, complaining about noise from the rooms "in our area". It must be noted that our room was left half an inch ajar with the latch when this happened. I asked Tim whether he thought the noise level he'd heard from the hallway (while the door was ajar) was unreasonable to him, to which he responded "no, it is not unreasonable to me, but it is my job as manager, when we receive a complaint, to investigate and resolve the issue." He went on about how this was the protocol to follow at the hotel, though my impression was that he was stuck with a complaint that was unreasonable in the first place, but he didn't know how to resolve it besides pointing fingers at the first room he'd heard sounds coming from in that area - REGARDLESS of the fact that even HE did NOT think the noise was at an unreasonable level. My friend and I at that point lodged a complaint to Tim against the unreasonable complaints that had ruined our stay, to which he assured us that it would also be addressed. Tim went on his way to alert our friends in the next room, which prompted my friend who'd booked the rooms to formally lodge a complaint downstairs in the lobby. Tim promised my friend a 5% discount off our rooms, which did not undo the damage, but we stayed the night feeling like trapped prisoners, yet again. Next day, our promised discount was not included in our checkout bill, and talking to the day manager did not help things, since he maintains that Tim had pointed out that it was specifically our rooms that had been making all the noise the night before. So, it's now a game of he said she said, with us coming out the accused perpetrators with the dissatisfied experience.

So the lesson we learned is, if you want to turn on a television, and chat with your family/friends without getting a noise complaint, don't stay at a Holiday Inn, because they either have very thin walls, their visitor demographic is people who needs complete utter silence to sleep, or they have management who could think of no other alternative to deal with a complaint than pointing fingers, even though on principle they don't think you are at fault. I know we won't be coming back.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 412 & 413, where our normal chatting noise level apparently provoked complain...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Seattle - Shoreline, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear from_van_BC,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Seattle. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Zelyn N.
Case Manager
IHG Care
Metaline Falls, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

This hotel ended up being a pretty good deal with a few small negatives. First the good. The rooms were clean and looked to be recently refurbished. Housekeeping did an excellent job each day. The front desk staff was excellent every time we asked for help with destinations. They told us how and where to ride the bus. The recommended movie theaters and even printed up maps and directions. The price was significantly lower than staying downtown, and with free parking at the hotel, it was definitely worth the extra travel time. We both rode the bus and took the car downtown, and either option worked out fine. If traveling singly, the bus would probably be the better option, but since I had my two kids, the fair was about equal to parking, and we did find driving to be the easier option overall.

Now the bad, the hotel is undergoing some construction, and this does impact service a bit. The breakfast room was often crowded and a little slow with refills. The TV reception was very poor, despite a nice lineup of cable channels and new flat screen TVs. The soundproofing was not as good as I would have liked, but running the fan pretty well screened that.

On our last morning there, I took my kids down to the pool for a swim. The pool was open with no signs, but there was a hose in the pool, so we went to front desk to ask what the issue was. They told me the hot-tub was closed but not the pool. When I told them about the hose, they radioed the maintenance man, and after about a 10 minute wait informed us that the pool was in fact closed, and they had no idea when it would open. That was quite a disappointment to my seven year old. Of course, I understand that the pool does sometimes require maintenance, but some sort of signage at least would have been appropriate.

Overall, I feel like this hotel was the right choice for us. The price point was good, and the staff was helpful. Once the construction is done, this will be a typical HIE with all the expected amenities.

Room Tip: Probably best not to face the street, and I wondered how noisy it was for the first floor rooms faci...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Port Angeles, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

A nice hotel that is currently being refurbished. We stayed in a refurbished room that was comfortable and quiet. The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast folks were having a tough time keeping up with demand and it was crowded. It looks like the room being used was not the normal room due to the remodeling, so that may have been part of the issue.

It's about a 8 mile drive to Seattle Center and the Space Needle, but it's a straight shot right down Hwy 99 and is right on the bus line if you want to leave the car. The nice thing about being out of the city is that the hotels generally have free parking which can be pretty pricey if you stay in the city downtown area.

A good hotel at a decent price, with friendly folks...we'll be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Seattle - Shoreline? Share your experiences!