“kanape and crepes” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Seattle, Washington
“kanape and crepes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Went for diner friday evening with a friend, we order from the happy hour menu. The mushroom crepe and citron crepe were both very good, in a previus visit I tried some kanaes and delightful. Good vine too. I look forward to visiting again after a movie since they are open late.

• Visited June 2012

50% Recommend
Seattle
“Unfulfilled Potential”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

As a local restaurant reviewer recently wrote, "Cafe Kanape strikes a leisurely continental pose, removed from the city street, yet archly observing it through a swath of window..."

This place has great potential to be a gem with some good food and nice twists and changes from other spots near and far. The use of Eastern European herbs and spices throughout the menu is exciting. Plates are beautifully presented and full of tasty food whether it is a baguette sandwich, a crepe, or one of the entrees such as stuffed cabbage leaves. Service is just about as pleasant and informed as you will get any where and helps keep an informal atmosphere. Sabine, owner, bar tender, barrista, server is well suited to this place. A bit continental, a bit reserved and, yet, a bit of flair. We're fans of hers .

I found some of the food could be served hotter: the borscht was far too cool for my tastes; even the stuffing in the crepes should be warmer. Sabine thanked us for our comment on food temperature and we expect next time that will be corrected. One odd dish: a marinated vegetable salad. The marinade/sauce was good. The little pickle pieces were a nice crunch. I just can't imagine why they use canned peas in this salad. The color is off and the texture is as one remembers from grade school. I will always opt for an alternative. That being said, we anxiously wait for our next trip to Cafe Kanape.

OK, we just finished our 2nd and last visit. The place has gotten dirty. The shelf behind the banquette was filth. The floor dirty. One person doing everything and doing it very inefficiently. On the limited menu several items were not available. What we did order came with substitutes instead of what we ordered.

Oh, yeah, the food wasn't hot.

Visited April 2012
Spokane, Washington
“Great crepes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Under 21 diners can take advantage of food happy hour specials. The pan-European fare is very good. Try the crepes.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Huge disappointment!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011 via mobile

I walked into the restaurant with 2 friends and asked for a table. We were seated by the bartender and given menus. 10 minutes later, we still were not offered any drinks nor did anyone bother to check on us. I really wanted to try the crepes. The restaurant was not busy at all. We saw another table next to us get their food brought out by the waiter and another couple already eating their meal but that's all there was. Why didn't they bother to acknowledge us and why was the service so poor? The bartender obviously was not serving anyone so why wouldn't she offer any drinks while we were waiting? Seeing that we were not being tended to, my friends and I walked out!!! Obviously they did not want our business so I wouldn't waste my time there.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Lynnwood, Washington
“Great drink and good nosh...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

If I based this review on their Sangria alone, I would give them 5 stars. Their sign doesn't lie. It's the best Sangria in town. Their lobster macaroni and cheese (made with Gruyere) was very good also, as were the canapes we had. Unfortunately, the experience was a bit flat. This is a very cute bistro bar with interesting decor, which happens to serve food (mostly crepes). I found the service a bit on the slow side and the server, although very nice, didn't seem concerned with serving customers. When we got there, there was only one other person there and when we left there were only 4 others in the restaurant. No menus were brought to our table for more than 5 minutes, no water was offered.

I would recommend Kanape if you are looking for a good drink and a nosh. If you are very hungry or in a hurry, go somewhere else. There is a lot to choose from on Seattle's Capital Hill.

• Visited July 2011