“The only negative was the travel to get there!” 5 of 5 stars

Save $$ While We Paint
Ranked #4 of 36 Seattle B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hewitt, Texas
“The only negative was the travel to get there!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stayed in the Fremont room and loved it. The room was spacious, modern, welcoming, and the only thing we missed was our King size bed. The house is cute and quaint and we enjoyed sitting on the front porch in the perfect weather. Shelley was gone, so she had a fellow inkeeper friend there to take care of us, Randal. We returned each evening to folded down beds, new mints, filled waterbottles, vacuumed carpet, cleaned bathroom. The breakfasts were incredibly rich and delicious...but we walked them off immediately after each day. Bring good walking shoes! Take a walk down Phinney Ridge to the park acroos the street and to 67th to eat lunch at the famous Red Mill Burger-yum!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Santa Barbara, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Tnx to Trip Advisor helping me find 9 Cranes Inn—a real nice five star B&B. I have had continuously good service from TA and everyone’s recommendations on accommodations.

9 Cranes Inn is a newly renovated “turn-of-the century” age-type house with everything crispy clean and rich with Craftsman era character. Shelley has obviously worked hard to get the Inn Keeper procedures down pat. Beds are great, flat screen TVs are great, food is great; I’m telling you, it is a good choice.

The big plus to me was finding the Inn on the Metro Bus Map. It is so close to Bus #5 that seems to run every 15 minutes or so to the middle of downtown, one does not even need a car. I made the decision to use my rental car to visit Friday Harbor and then I returned it to the airport. I used the clean and modern “Light Rail” to bring me back to the middle of the City (close to Pike’s Place) for only $2.50.

I went Alaska cruising from Pier 91 and thot I would regret the cost of using a taxi from 9 Cranes Inn, but Shelley arranged the taxi pick-up and it was only $15, metered, plus tip. I was going to use Bus #5 and then transfer to Pier 91, but I had two suitcases and the taxi handled them for me. A bus might work very well if you are sailing from one of the downtown piers—like Pier 50-55—unless it is raining, then you are almost forced to use a taxi.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I was visiting Ballard and we decided to stay at 9 Cranes Inn for two nights. The house is really neat. We stayed in "Woodland Park" and it was very nice - even had heated floors, which was nice b/c it was cold while we were there! The room was clean and so was the house. Shelly was a great hostess - very friendly and we enjoyed talking to her. She's travelled a lot and it is obvious that she caters to travellers as the B&B was very traveller-friendly. The beds were comfy, there was a den on the second floor with drinks (coke, tea, coffee) and a computer. There were also some delicious baked goods and other snacks downstairs in the dining room. Breakfast both mornings was very good - it is a lot of good food, so bring your empty belly!! The website does not do the house or our room justice. If you are looking for a comfortable place while you are in Seattle, I would stay here. We plan to stay here again next time.

Room Tip: Ask Shelly what is available.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

We stayed for four nights and enjoyed every minute. Spacious rooms,nice breakfasts using the abundant local harvest and a warm welcoming environment.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at this charming craftsman B & B. The Ballard View room is a spacious room with a beautiful view and a private deck. Breakfast was delicious and the proprietors were most gracious and helpful.
Great find.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I loved my stay at 9 Cranes Inn! I stayed in the Woodland Room, but the friendly proprietor, Shelley, gave me a tour of the entire inn (so I'd have the information for possible future stays). The Ballard View room would be perfect for me and my husband, but the Woodland Room was ideal for a peaceful night's rest after a business meeting in Seattle. The neighborhood is quiet, yet offers easy access to downtown, Ballard and Greenlake. The entire inn is sparkling clean. Breakfast was healthful and delicious (I had the signature salmon scramble with roasted tomatoes, potatoes, kiwi and a yummy baked apple). Shelley shared the recipe for her delicious chocolate chip cookies.

The nitty-gritty: firm bed, good quality pillows, fluffy towels and a heated bathroom floor. Every amenity was close to hand. I had my own key, so was able to leave in the evening for dinner with a friend, then come back and relax in peace. I enjoyed the upstairs guest lounge and the beautiful living room, complete with crackling fire, in this lovely restored 1916 home. I hope to stay at 9 Cranes Inn again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

Great room, great breakfasts, great design and a real sense of tranquility about the home, all in a quiet and cozy location.

My lady and I stayed in the only room on the 1st floor, the Woodland Room. It was playfully yet tastefully designed, with an excellent quality to all the fixtures and furniture. Also in the room is a giant HDTV, a nice big closet, and a well put together guest information binder.

The bed was a tad firm, but we're spoiled memory-foam-mattress-topper fans. The linens were SO SOFT! I recommend asking Shelly about purchasing your own set.

Our private bathroom came with everything we needed. Again, excellent quality and well thought out flow. Instead of tiny soap, shampoo and conditioner packets, there is a shower-mounted dispenser with refillable reservoirs providing all of the above. I wish more inns & hotels did this!

The provided breakfast was both delicious and accommodating. Rice milk? Sure. Can't do gluten? No problem. Vegetarian? Got it. There is also coffee, tea, and juice/soda in a little upstairs nook, available 24 hours a day.

Tying it all off is a very decent rate, and free (fast) WI-FI, an inviting common area for making calls, taking notes, or just reading a book.

9 cranes, way up!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to 9 Cranes Inn? Share your experiences!