“Totally unexpected! A wonderful surprise!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 3,563 Restaurants in Seattle
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Vegan
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Highly regarded new addition to the Seattle dining scene: http://www.seattlepi.com/food/383564_rest17.html
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Totally unexpected! A wonderful surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

My wife and I were planning on going to Seattle and came across this restaurant on Tripadvisor while searching for places to eat. It was highly rated and it met the special dietary needs my wife was looking for. I was a bit skeptical at first, but it sounded very interesting. Being a carnivore, I figured I would want a hamburger afterwards. I was completely surprised, I left that evening feeling completely satisfied! You won't find any fancy kitchen here and the place is very small, (only about 24 seats or so.) But the place was very cozy and the food was incredible! We booked our reservations early and had the choice to sit at the counter. We watched as the chef and his assistants skillfully prepared and plated each dish - dinner and a show!
It's a 5 course prix fixe dinner with optional alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink pairing for an additional cost. Being budget minded we opted for the hot teas. They only have one seating per night, so reservations are highly recommended. The menu changes week to week. Everyone is seated and served at the same time. Tip: arrive early, there is only on-street parking near the restaurant. If we ever return to Seattle, we will definitely do this again.

• Visited June 2014

Salt Lake City, Utah
“Incredible Unique Dining Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

My husband and I went to Sutra for our Anniversary in mid May while visiting Seattle and it was absolutely incredible. We are both vegetarians and always struggle finding higher end restaurants that offer vegetarian options. At Sutra - everything is vegan, organic and totally delicious! The flavor combinations they came up with were fantastic. Also - you can request to sit alone. They offer communal tables and private tables. The service is also wonderful! We will definitely go back on our next trip to Seattle!

• Visited May 2014
Seattle, Washington
“A good surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Me and my wife visit this restaurant. I am not vegeterian but she is, so I thought I was not going to enjoy it. I was totally impressed by flavours I have never tasted before. The good variety of food with incredible fresh vegetables, all sort of nuts, and the extreme delicacy of the chef makes you forget about meat.
Great place to try something new, and a great place for vegetarians searching for quality service and food.

• Visited September 2013
Austin, Texas
“Outstanding and not just for vegetarians/vegans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

This was simply one of the best, most creative meals we have ever had in our lives. And while I tend to the vegetarian (although not strict), my husband is a foie gras loving carnivore (European). We don’t live in the Seattle area but if we did, we would be regulars.

Sutra has a formula and it is a great one. One serving per night at 7pm. Fixed price menu at $40 with the option to add wine pairings for $27 (or very nice looking non alcoholic choices for less). I wont bother to rate any of the specific dishes that we had as the menu changes every few weeks (I think). Suffice to say that they were all wonderful….light, filling without being heavy, creative. Just fantastic. And a really fair price.

We loved the location and the vibe. Although, the place is very small. It fits about 28 people and if you are two, it may be a “communal” type of an arrangement. The kitchen is extremely small and you can see all the food being made. If we were to go back, I think we would request one of the counter seats for a front row view of this amazing food being crafted.

Highly recommended and sets a new standard for being "5 star."

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Collingswood, New Jersey
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

From soup to nuts, this place is perfect. A special vegan menu is served at one seating per night, and with just a little luck, we got a reservation after someone cancelled. We were only in town for 2 nights, and this night I felt like a queen.

The chef discusses all of the ingredients he's selected for each dish, and you're very aware of how personal this experience is. You can select a wine pairing (about four 2.5oz glasses with each course) for $27 or non-alcoholic for $13. The price is $40/pp, and worth it for all of the food. The menu changes nightly, but I would eat absolutely anything prepared here. We had a creamy mushroom soup and green salad with fried hemp seeds, pureed lentils, and a lasagna made from house-made spelt noodles & cauliflower 'cheese.' I couldn't forget the delicious coconut milk ice cream with sage and mint. Please do not pass up an opportunity to dine here. Cheers!

Visited May 2014