“Surprised and delighted by this little hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #29 of 97 Hotels in Seattle
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver, BC
“Surprised and delighted by this little hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I'm a bit of a spoiled traveler, having had the opportunity to stay in some of the world's most spectacular five-star properties during the course of my career. I know what superb service looks like--and this unpretentious and inexpensive little hotel in the shadow of Seattle's Space Needle has it in spades.

My husband had to attend a conference and this was the only place that had room on short notice. I decided to hitch along but wasn't expecting much--I thought, "Oh, here we go. Another eminently forgettable cookie-cutter hotel for middle managers on the road."

This was anything but. The location in Belltown is terrific--easy walking distance to downtown Seattle and Pike Place Market; next door to the Space Needle and monorail; and close to some of Seattle's best new restaurants (try Black Bottle and Serious Pie. Yum.)

From the moment we crossed the threshold--and we were pretty frazzled after a stressful drive down the I-5 in an unexpected snowstorm--we felt genuinely welcomed. And that attitude continued throughout our stay--the front desk staff made eye contact and greeted us warmly every single time we came within range.

Our room (#811) was large, well-designed and tastefully decorated. A bar-fridge and coffeemaker is always a bonus. In fact, we joked that with the addition of a hot-plate, we could move right in and live there! I sleep with earplugs, so the traffic noise didn't bother me at night, but my husband remarked on it being the only downside of the place.

The included breakfast was also unexpectedly good--the breakfast room is large and bright and the quality of the offerings--ham-and-eggers, fresh fruit, bagels, choice of juices etc.--sure beat the danish-wrapped-in-cellophane you usually get at these sort of business-friendly hotels.

Because I hadn't booked the place, I made an extra effort to find out how much our room cost. I was staggered by how low the price was for what we got and even sought out the manager to tell him how impressed I was by everything we'd experienced and that I wish he would give lessons to every other hotel brand out there in how to do it right!

We will definitely be back--and not just for business. An all-round jewel of a hotel!

Room Tip: Some rooms have views of the Space Needle. If you're sensitive to street noise, ask if there are...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

My son and I stayed here for one night on a quick getaway. I was impressed with the size of the room and the nice sofa they had there. The free shuttle to the market and other places in a one mile radius is very convenient. Check in and out was a breeze. Only disappointment was the lack on a hot tub by the pool.
Will recommend the place to my friends.

Room Tip: The ones facing the one busy street are a bit noisy.
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

My wife surprised me with a birthday weekend that including two nights at the Hyatt Place and an entry for our family in the annual St. Patrick's Day Dash 4K run that starts at Seattle Center. The Hyatt Place was a great location to walk to the Center and avoid the traffic and parking hassles in this busy, urban area.

The Hyatt Place lobby and public spaces are very attractive and inviting. The front desk staff were friendly and accommodating. There are no bell staff, however, to help with luggage. There are luggage carts parked near the front door that you can use to cart your own bags to your room. There only seem to be two, however, and they disappear quickly on check out mornings.

The hotel parking garage is pricey ($20 a day) and involves a complicated system of key cards and gates. But it beats paying to park near Seattle Center.

The room was very attractive and included a refrigerator but no microwave. There was no in room safe. We had one King Bed that is separated from the sitting area. There was one large, HD television with state of the art AV connections if you have a portable DVD player. The wireless Internet was free and fairly fast.

The bath room only had a shower. They only provided three towels for a family of four, so we had to stop at the front desk to ask for more. The shower also ran out of hot water with minutes the first night we were there.

One of the reasons my wife selected the Hyatt was that it was one of the only ones in the downtown area that had a pool. The pool and exercise room are located on the main floor. The pool is fairly large, but shallow. It was three feet 10 inches at it's deepest end. It was also wasn't very warm although the front desk assured us that it was kept at 81 degrees. There is no hot tub/spa.

The Hyatt does offer a free breakfast with breakfast sandwiches, cereals, pancakes, waffles, fresh fruit and yogurt. Be warned that it is a free for all on weekends and seating space can be a premium.

Although the Hyatt is located near the Seattle Center, the restaurant choices located within walking distance are pretty limited. Five of the six listed on their Web site are actually out of business. So plan on driving if you want to have dining choices.

Overall the Hyatt Place was a good value, but it has room for improvement.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

This place is great. Everything about it. This was my second time there. Both times with my family. (2 kids 4 and 6 years old). Good service, the front desk called me in the first 30 minutes to make sure I liked my room. I also liked the security in the elevator where you need a room key to operate it. Breakfast is included and is sooo convenient, and if you have small kids you appreciate the variety and convenience. We took advantage of the complimentary shuttle bus which drove us to Pike Place Market and picked us up from Pacific Place Mall downtown. The hotel is short walking distance to the Pacific Science Museum, Space Needle and EMP. The Walgreen's across the street is convenient and the surrounding neighborhood has a variety of restaurants to choose from. Just ask the front desk to recommend something. If there is nothing you like within walking distance, they will recommend a place where the shuttle bus can take you. I didn't visit the pool this trip, but I did use the fitness gym on 2 occasions. The equipment is great, very modern and very clean. Even the gym towels they have there are very soft and of good quality. The room was clean and spacious, the large tv was great, but if I had to complain about anything, it's the size of the bathroom. I will stay here again!

Room Tip: Higher is better, you can here the street noise on lower levels.
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Best layout I have seen in a hotel. It has a little sitting room with a large flat TV, a comfy bed, and nice bathroom. I think I would want this layout when I build a house for the master suite. It is very nice, close to the Space Needle, and we enjoyed a walk around the neighborhood where we found a nice cozy pub. Friendly service, and fairly easy to find on street parking on weekends.

new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Clean hotel with friendly staff. The price was good for fairly large room with two queen size beds, free buffet breakfast, free wifi, fitness room and swimming pool. The free buffet breakfast was decent with wide selection, but does not always have hot selection. Hotel parking can be a pain because the size of parking space is small, but compact car will do fine. If I was there during the high tourist season, I might not be able to park at hotel because spaces are limited.

Room Tip: I was on lower floor, but it was not a problem. However, always had shades drawn because of nearby...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt Place Hotel in mid February. Located near the Space Needle, this hotel provides a free shuttle available to take guests up to a mile radius. The hotel is nicely appointed with clean, modern rooms that are tastefully decorated. There is a free buffet breakfast with a great selection of hot and cold items. The Hotel also sells fresh food and beverages 24 hours a day in the lobby. Yes, there is a daily parking charge, but it is worth the price to stay in a location very close to the downtown for a reasonable cost. The front desk staff are outstanding in providing customer service. We will stay here on future trips to Seattle, this is a GEM.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hallway are very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Place Seattle/Downtown? Share your experiences!