“Good location if you arrive/leave by train to/from Seattle... nothing else.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square

Special Offer
Holiday Shopping Package
Ranked #36 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Seoul, South Korea
“Good location if you arrive/leave by train to/from Seattle... nothing else.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

We stayed at the Courtyard Seattle Downtown for two nights from the 31st December to the 2nd January. It is located very close to the Amtrak station and easy to find. However, it’s far from the city centre and the main tourist attractions.
The front desk staff was very friendly during the check-in and gave us helpful hints about Seattle. The room had a nice view of the Puget Sound and Bainbridge Island (despite the elevated motorway just in front) and was decently decorated. We were concerned about the noise since it was New Year’s Eve but did not notice any disturbances.
The breakfast was somehow strange: we had a fixed amount of money we could spend in two ways - bread or pastry or cereals + yoghurt + drink (1) or eggs or oat meal + drink (2). If we spent more than the fixed amount, we would have to pay the remainder. We didn't enjoy the system and the food was also not very tasteful.

When we checked out and asked for a taxi to take us to the airport, while waiting for the taxi outside the valet guy tried to convince us to go with in his "uncle’s" car (who would charge us the same as the taxi – $40). We obviously refused and were shocked because we did not expect this to happen in a Marriott.

Above all, we had a great rate since we booked well in advance and thus the hotel showed a good ratio quality/price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Atlanta Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

Location is great if you are coming in from the Amtrak train. You can walk from the train in a few minutes and the area seems secure, even at night. The property is located in a historic area and is in an old former office building. Beautiful lobby and it's good to see this preserved. Security looks good, with key cards required in elevator. Rooms are tiny. Really tiny. Bathrooms are decent sized. Beds are nice. Rooms are very clean and bedding is comfey. You will hear a lot of street noise since the windows are not sound proofed. It's not bad at night until the cars and busses start going in the morning. Pool is on the chilley side but tolerable. No hot tub. Work out room looks to be well equiped.

As stated in earlier posts, perks for Marriot Gold/Platimum members are minimal. Don't expect a room upgrade or breakfast coupons. If perks are important to you, this is not your hotel. In fact I was suprised to be given the smallest room in spite of Platinum status. A note to Management: premium members are attracted to some of the specials.

It's a nice place to stay for location and cleanliness. But otherwise nothing special.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from 2nd street.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Nice hotel & modern room.
Big exercise room, small pool, no hot tub.
We easily walked to and from the train station and left our bags there before check-in and after check-out so we could get around by foot and free downtown bus.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

I had booked a last minute room for myself and two friends at the Courtyard Marriott in Pioneer Square. We were staying in Seattle for the March 25th weekend. Upon arrival at the hotel late Friday (Mar 25) evening the gentleman (an undeserved label) at the front desk checked us in quite promptly and had checked us into a room on the 11th or 12th floor. I asked him what we can do for parking (the website states $26 parking available) and he quickly told me "There is no parking. You can park anywhere on the street from 6pm to 8am, after 8am it's pay parking."

Being dismissed rather abruptly, I didn't question him. We took our baggage to the room which was very nice and very clean. The only problem was that it was a room with a bed and a small armchair. This indeed was not the king bed and sofa bed that I had reserved and seeing that we're three grown men, the single bed was not going to cut it. I went back to the front desk and informed him that the room was not as described. He quickly responded with a rude and short "That's all we have!" Refraining from speaking the foul language that I wanted to yell at this young man, I told him that there were three of us and I had reserved the room specifically to accommodate that. He rolled his eyes, took the keys back, and went into his secret computer of rooms. He then rudely asks, "Did you guys mess up the room." Uhhh yes, we went into the room for 30 seconds, had an all out party fest in the room, and then came quickly down the stairs and asked for a new room. The nerve of this young man was uncalled for and he was lucky i didn't jump over the desk and strangle him. This is NOT the way you would like to be treated after driving for 2.5 hours on a friday night.

The stay for the most part was good, the rooms were nice and clean. We did have another mishap with staff on the saturday. One of the hotel staff (concierge or door person) was walking down the hall past our room. We asked if there were any after hours places we could check out as it was getting quite late. He was short with us and quickly says "No. You Asked an easy question, you get a quick answer." I couldn't believe how rude some of the staff were at this hotel.

When we finally checked out on the friday, i took a look at the final invoice and what do you know. They charged me a $26 valet parking fee plus taxes for each night!!! This was laughable as I had to wake up each morning before 8am and move my vehicle because the Front desk guy told me there was no parking. I was fuming by this point. On a bright note, the lady who checked us out was very, very helpful. She took the parking charges off and helped us find our way to SAouthcenter which was our final destination on this trip. If we hadn't come across her, i probably would have given the service rating a one!

If you book here, expect a relatively nice hotel for the price, but don't expect customer service or feeling like they'll bend over backwards because you'll be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

I chose this Marriott for its location and supposedly ‘business-friendly’ features during a recent business/leisure trip to Seattle. Overall, this hotel is just ‘okay’. If you want to stay close to Pioneer Square for the Mariners/Seahawks/Sounders, it’s probably not bad. However, I didn’t find the Courtyard concept to live up to it’s ‘business-friendly’ marketing in reality.
First, it’s a historic building, so it’s not like the roadside motels you would normally associate with Marriott Courtyards. The rooms were very small. So small, my bed was less than two feet from the window. A chair facing the North wall occupied most of the width. The wardrobe/desk combination was very awkward and not ergonomically friendly. I just worked from the bed using the WiFi. I honestly felt claustrophobic in the room, something I’ve never felt before in a hotel room. I was disappointed, especially since I was entitled to a room upgrade as a Marriott rewards Gold member. The beds are comfortable, though not outstanding. The bathroom was very basic, no thrills, no additional amenities.
In the elevator, the hotel had posters announcing that they now ‘proudly served Starbucks coffee’ in Courtyards. That’s great, except this one didn’t serve Starbucks, or SBC. It was the worst coffee I ever had. They have plenty of it downstairs for you, and some in your room too. It’s embarrassing to advertise something you don’t have, but by weird quirk of fate, is the closest Marriott in the world to the Starbucks global headquarters…it shouldn’t have made such a faux pas! In Seattle!
Valet was troublesome. Friendly chaps, but when you arrive at night, sometimes they’re inside chatting with the staff, not outside the hotel. I had to park illegally on 1st avenue for the night and go inside and ask for the valet. Also, you have to text for your car, which costs you the hotel user some change. Granted, if you’re parking valet, you’re in for a penny, in for a pound, but a phone call on the hotel’s dime would be classier.
The business center consisted of three all-in-one desktops with a proprietary Windows 7 interface. You can’t access Win 7, just a browser and the three main office programs (Word, PowerPoint, Excel). It’s awkward, and it times out at times. No tabs or multiple windows on your browser. I was in desperate need of a scanner and fax, with none to be found. Only a printer. It was a sub-par business center.
Upon checkout, I told the desk that I wasn’t satisfied, and she apologized, and said I should have been offered better service and accommodations based on my loyalty membership level, and said cheerfully, ‘next time!’ There won’t be a next time for me, thank you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

We have stayed in Seattle many times and this was our first here as it's new. We liked the location, right in Pioneer Square, a short bus ride or walk up the hill to Pike Place, and best for us, a few blocks from the Amtrak station. The service in the Bistro was excellent and the food was very good. We found the staff very helpful and friendly. It's a very modern hotel, which we liked. The room was very comfortable. We would definitely stay here again! We were only there one night this time, but when we go back, we hope we can stay longer.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Issaquah, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

Our visit to the Courtyard was on St Patricks Day. We wanted to near some of the Irish pubs in town and this was perfect. We were just 2 blocks from 2 different pubs and very walkable to the 3rd one at Pike Place Market.
The staff here was great all around--valet & front desk. The room was spacious, clean and the bed was wonderful--as I've found with all the Marriotts I've stayed in. We were on the 9th floor and although we could still here some traffic noise it wasn't enough to keep me from sleeping. My only complaint on the room was the VERY uncomfortable sofa.
The hotel is in a historic building and they've done a good job keeping some of the original marble & features of the building.
I've got plans to come back in April for opening day of Baseball. It's an easy walk to both stadiums so perfect for sports event too. Probably about 10-15 minutes to Qwest Field or Safeco Field. It's also the same to get to Pike Place Market and downtown in the opposite direction.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square? Share your experiences!