“cosy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fireside Room At the Sorrento Hotel

Fireside Room At the Sorrento Hotel
900 Madison St., Seattle, WA 98104 (Downtown)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #300 of 3,447 Restaurants in Seattle
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Seattle, Washington
“cosy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

it's really the hotel lobby room. Has a grand piano ad you can even host a band there. comfy chairs and sofas!

Visited November 2011

Coupeville, Washington
“Awful service & poor quality food = not recommended”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

My office went for a holiday lunch arranged by our Dept. Manager. The waiter we had gave really poor service, inattentive, lots of mistakes... I was really surprised that the food was so mediocre. I had the clams, which were tasteless, overcooked. I also had the "beet salad" and there was a ton of and a few small thin pieces of beet that I could count on one hand. All 6 people at the table said their food ranged from mediocre to bad. The waiter didn't know the phone # of the restaurant or hotel. He forgot what 1 person ordered and had to come back and ask (so they got their food late), he never asked if we wanted refills or reorders on our drinks (iced tea and soft drinks) and after we received the check we waited much too long for him to come back and collect payment. It took so long that some of our party left and went back to work while 2 people stayed to wait. Thinking this was an off day for the kitchen and waiter because the atmosphere is so lovely, I went back there a few weeks later with my daughter for afternoon tea. What bad luck; we got the same waiter with the same bad service. After he finally arrived at our table, he took our tea and food order. I didn't realize until he walked away that he had never inquired about something else to drink (the menu consisted of a selection of teas and several champagne drinks; the food was set so there were no options), so it was likely that if someone wanted an alcoholic beverage, they would probably request one of the champagne drinks on the tea menu. It was not terribly busy, but he had enough tables that he should have been busy most of the time. He spent a good deal of his time chatting and laughing with the hostess who wasn't busy. During this time he never looked around at his tables to see if anything was needed. We were done with our meal and I wanted to pay the check. After watching him take care of his social life for an unreasonable length of time, the hostess finally walked away. I thought he would surely look around or come over to our table. He didn't - he left the room. When he came back, he wasn't carrying anything, so I know he wasn't picking up food or drink for a customer. He was walking down the hallway chatting and laughing with a waitress this time. I watched the waitress finally walk away (maybe SHE was going to check on her tables?). I then got up before he could leave again and thrust the check at him. I almost always tip 20%, occasionally 15% if the service is not that great. Our bill was $91.00 (afternoon tea for 2 people with 1 glass of champagne; no other drinks, not even soda) and I left $1.00 tip with a note that it was among the worst service I had ever received (I dine out often). I have never left a tip that bad. I think the price would have been reasonable if the food and service were great, but considering the poor service and food it was way overpriced. At afternoon tea the food was AGAIN just as mediocre as it was for the previous lunch. I'd be generous to call it average. I'm not a picky person, but I am discriminating. There's a difference between a steak at Applebees and a steak at Daniel's Broiler. You expect much more at a place like Daniel's Broiler, and for the price, you have a right to. The atmosphere at The Sorrento is terrific, but can't make up for the poor food and service. I have had afternoon or high tea at several luxury hotels in different states, so I know what to expect. I was extremely disappointed. I gave them a 2nd chance but I won't give them a 3rd. To be fair, I was impressed with the service of the valet and doorman, but the hotel needs to really step up the quality of the food and waitstaff if it wants to be competitive and pretend to be a luxury hotel.