“Gluten free menu!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Village Sushi

Village Sushi
4741 12th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98105-4401 (University District)
206-985-6870
Neighborhood: University District
Seattle
“Gluten free menu!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

My daughter and I had lunch at Village Sushi for the first time today. I must eat gluten free and she found out that they had a gluten free menu and were able to accommodate my dietary needs.

Well, not only did they have outstanding sushi and sashimi, but they provided me with my own little bottle of gf soy sauce and will substitute and use corn starch for those items that require flour. Everything was so yummy and my daughter who is a wheat eater did not notice any difference in quality of flavor. Next time, I want to go back and try a gf tempura meal!

Thank you Village Sushi for being one of the only Japanese restaurants that I know of in Seattle that provides scrumptious Japanese food and an awesome gluten free gastronomical experience!

• Visited March 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Los Angeles
“Hidden Gem ! Quality,Unique and special !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

Stumbled onto this hidden gem since we stayed at Hotel Deca close by. Got lucky in that it was quiet for a Sat. Night- had sushi chefs to ourselves, they prepared anything we requested even items not on the menu and everything was EXCELLENT, quality fish, well prepared and presented with care ! Had a salmon skin salad that was better than any I have had in LA, they added some additional vegetables to the salad! Background music was a nice mix of Jazz. Low lighting- very comfortable even though on the outside you might think it was just an old house. Must try their signature rolls, the Hot Summer Night is excellent-little crunch, and lots of flavors !! Didn't make it to dessert- the sushi was just so-o good !! Very fresh and the sushi chef was very friendly and let us know which fish were fresh that day ! Would highly recommend !

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nanaimo, Canada
“Excellent! Reminded us of being in Japan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

When we're in Seattle we usually stay at the Watertown Hotel. The front desk staff recommended Village Sushi to us. After having lived in Japan for 5 years we have become a bit picky about Japanese food.

As we were walking to the restaurant we passed a house two doors away and the front door was open. Open Mic night at the Frat House. It is the U District after all!

When we got to Village Sushi we were a little nervous. Older house in a bit of a funky neighbourhood (save for the brand new high end condos across the street).

Once we were inside we knew it would be good. It has the atmosphere that few non-Japanese owned Japanese restaurants can pull off. It instantly reminded us of some of our favourite spots in Tokyo, Yokohama, Kamakura and Yokosuka. It's hard to describe. The owner clearly loves Jazz. There is a record collection behind glass cabinets. Paintings on the wall of beach and family scenes. Eclectic, but in a Japanese way. You just can't fake this stuff. It felt very familiar to us.

They offer a range of dishes that most Japanese restaurants do not. My standard is whether or not they have natto. If they have it, I'm in. But they also had shiso which not many places do. Put that together and you have an awesome natto-maki. I had 4 of them.

Everything we had was excellent. We both commented, many times, on how authentic everything was, how good it tasted and how rare it is to find a restaurant like this out of Japan. Their sake selection is very good. We really enjoyed our choice.

Since it's in the U-District the pricing was very reasonable. Our meal, with two large premium sake, for two, was $65.

The service was excellent. One server managing the whole room.

This is now our restaurant to come to when going through Seattle. Close to our hotel, in an interesting spot, quality food, excellent service and a great atmosphere.

Gochiso samadeshita!