“Very unwelcome attitude, and not very helpful” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel

You added Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel to your Saves list
Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel
520 South King Street, Seattle, WA 98104-2834 (Formerly American Hotel) (Downtown)   |
Reisterstown, Maryland
“Very unwelcome attitude, and not very helpful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

When I arrived to this Hostle the guy behind the counter was so ignorant, and gave me one of the hottest room without A window facing A wall. He was not telling me the truth when I found out that there were other rooms available the next day with A window.
So he sent me to another room that night where there was trash all over the place, so again I had to go back to the desk, and ask for another room. Lucky there was another person while he was taking A break gave me A room with fresh towels, and A clean room with A window.

The worst part was that no one told me that I couldn't park my car in the parking lot, since an event was to be the next day. When I left the parking lot early that morning there was nothing that said no parking, or towed away anywhere. When I arrived back in the parking lot it was very dark, but when I woke up the next day my car was gone. The people at the Y.H. Didn't warn me, nor was there anything visible that says No Parking. Only one little board that said, No Parking as you drive into the parking lot. Anyone could of miss this.
No one at the Y.H. Would drive me to get my car, so I ended taking A bus, and the bus driver told me to watch my back where she left me off. It was near A train track, in back of A building in the most dangerous area of Seattle. Graffi were everywhere, and gang were very scary, and known to be there in A abandon area. It took me almost 5 hours to find this place, and I was in tears. I had to risk it, and saw A door open, and ask for help to find where the towed area, and so filled with anxiety of no one to help me. I found A lady begging her to please help me, and she told me that this area is meant not be walking around. So after all of this the towed place charged me 600.00 dollars. Never again will I ever go back to this Youth Hostle.

Room Tip: Find another Youth Hostle that will help you, and to satisfied you.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
AHManagement, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thanks for writing your detailed response. I have to point out a couple details. We have no rooms in the hostel without windows. All rooms have at least one window and some have two. My apologies for the less than satisfactory service. I will certainly review with all staff at our next meeting. If you were towed from the IPM parking lot, I've very sorry. They usually post a sign clearly stating parking will be unavailable if there is a neighborhood event. The streets are signed as well. Again, so sorry you had such a tough time finding your vehicle. I can clearly understand why you would be angry. Our building is quite old and has no A/C so on warm days it can get stuffy. We do have individual fans next to each bed to give some breeze. Feel free to contact me personally if you would like to discuss this further. Cheers and travel safe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Was my first time in Seattle, the was the first hostel I ever stayed in across the boarder so maybe my expectations could be higher than norm. For the most part the place was great, the desk was nice and helpful, the room was very clean. Just about everything was excellent except for two things.

One was the noise, could basically hear any conversation going on the next rooms no matter how low or high which can be annoying when you are trying to get a early start on the next but you can't because 6 guys are joking around in the next room. Also could heard basically everything else going on in that wing.

Second which isn't so bad but annoying was the WiFi was terrible, when it was working it was ok but that was it, when it was working. Most of the time it was cutting off and I would have to wait 5 minutes just for it to allow me to go onto the next page. Maybe it was the weekend when their server was unstable but for that weekend the WiFi connection was horrible.

Outside of that I would recommend this place to anyone, it is close to the train station, place is clean and you can't really complain about the price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Glad your stay was relatively good. We are working very hard on the Wi Fi connections. Hope to see a big improvement soon! Cheers and travel safe.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was my first hostel to stay in, and I must say it was a great first experience. The staff were friendly, the price is very affordable, the kitchen was well equipped with all you need to cook and there was plenty of seating. The internet in the rooms was a little sucky, which just poached me into the communal areas, which for me was a good thing as I was travelling solo and for my first time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
We really appreciate the kind comments. Glad you connected with other travelers as hostelling is meant to connect folks from other countries. We are working on the internet as I speak and hope to improve our entire Wi Fi experience.
Coos Bay, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

i stayed at the american hotel in china town seattle. i had a relaxing time there also the place was very quiet. they also have cookie night and movie night there.i will stay there again the hotel was over all clean.

Room Tip: always ask to get a bottom bunk next to a window either call or ask the desk.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thanks so much for your kind comments. Travel safe and we hope to see you again.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Almost everything about this hostel was great. Everything was clean, the lounge was nice, the breakfast was good, staff are nice and helpful. The only real problem I had were the noisy doors. All the doors have some kind of latch which closed with this loud sound that reverberated through the whole floor, and was 10X noisier when guests just walked away and let the doors close by themselves. This was the bedroom doors, the doors to the lobby, the lounge doors, all of them. It wasn't really a problem during the day, but at night, guests were coming in until quite late and the noise was unbelievable, then it started again at 5-6am with the early risers. I wasn't able to sleep more than a few hours all night long.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Larry L, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thanks so much for your observations. Our doors are original to the hostel. They can be noisy if guests aren't careful closing them. We have posted signs asking folks to "please close doors gently". Doesn't always produce the desired resutls. Please accept my apologies for the noise.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The staff where helpful, location fairly convenient as was close to public transport. The hostel itself was predominantly clean (I did find my room dusty but I am sensitive to that), the rooms large. The bathrooms where not fantastic, but of adequate standard. Good communal spaces and a decent kitchen.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Larry L, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
We appreciate your input and patronage. Thanks for the kind comments.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

i stayed three nights, i was helped with everything i asked for help with, the staff at the reception were friendly and informative, the staff in the kitchen were kind and friendly too. it was clean, safe, with many different rooms for different modes of 'hang out'.

the hostel was RIGHT NEXT to where the bolt bus drops you off, (and where all the other busses seem to originate from) and so close to the market, i walked and cycled everywhere. they stored my bike safely in the basement too.

you can get two very cheap and beautiful bus rides east and have a coffee and slice of cherry pie in the twin peaks diner where it was filmed. awesome.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thanks so much for your kind comments. We certainly appreciate the feedback. Cheers and travel safe.

Been to Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel? Share your experiences!