“Surprisingly clean for a hostel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel

You added Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel to your Saves list
Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel
520 South King Street, Seattle, WA 98104-2834 (Formerly American Hotel) (Downtown)   |
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Surprisingly clean for a hostel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

When my friends told me that they've found a really cheap hostel to stay in Seattle I was a bit preoccupied what the conditions there might be. It turned out to be so much better than I expected. Everything (to my attention) was decently clean (bathroom, kitchen, rooms etc). It was really value for money. The only thing that it is a bit scary, is the location. Everything seems fine during daylight as the china town is close and the bus station. But in the night you can hear and see homeless people having fights just outside.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Larry L, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Aeternia, Thanks so much for the kind comments. My apologies for the street noise. Travle safe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portland, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I am a normal hostel guest and a HI member so I am well versed in the hostel life and what to expect. After just returning from a trip from Seattle..

Pros
Its so close to Amtrak and the Bolt Bus.

Local mass transit it right there and you can get anywhere.

The kitchen is amazing

Most of the bathrooms has been clean

Cons:
They advertised events that did not happen, no spaghetti night Saturday, no Cookie night Sunday. Dont plan on events happening.

There is grafatti on the wall of one of the WC bathrooms on the second floor.

The neighborhood is as sketchy as most people describe it.

They put me in an all boys dorm when I am obviously not a boy. It took all of us in the room to get me moved. The staff acted like they could care less, and as a hostel member I really do expect more.

You dont want a room near the bathroom because its non stop noise. This is one of the few hostels I have stayed at that only has a very small amount of bathrooms to share among a large group of people.

Its not the worst hostel, but its not the best eaither... Its defiantly a great place to spend a night and get sleep

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
AHManagement, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Bonnie, Please accept my apologies for your less than satisfactory stay. I will certainly address my staff using this review as an example of where we can improve. I'm looking for the sign about spaghettie dinners as we hanen't done them in almost a year. Sounds like we dropped the ball on the cookies! Our bad.

Thanks again for the honest review and I wish you safe travels!
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed here for a week last December. I got a good weekly rate for just $200 and spent the week touring Seattle. I had a shared room with 4 beds but only 1 roommate. The room and bathroom was clean and their wasn't very much noise. The neighborhood is kind of sketchy at night, a lot of homeless people and drug addicts. I got panhandled or offered drugs every night on my way back to the hostel. But the location is good and close to everything since you are downtown in the Chinatown/International district. The hostel serves a free breakfast of bagels and toast, bananas and oranges, and stuff like that. They also have a tv room and a couple of pinball machines downstairs. The people at the front desk were friendly. There is a laundry facility downstairs too but I never used it. There is a lot of good Chinese restaurants in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
AHManagement, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thanks so much for your kind comments. We appreciate the patronage. Come back soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Very nice Hostel in great location. I have been here for two nights and very much enjoy the property, location and surroundings. I am about one block from Am track and within walking distance of downtown. Many restaurants in the area.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs and eye shades. Hallways are noisy and blinds don't keep out enough light
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
AHManagement, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Flyeguy, We're glad the hostel met your expectations. Thanks for the kind comments. Travle safe and come back soon.
Wenatchee, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We used HI Seattle because we had a one night event in the international district of Seattle. The people were nice, our room was clean (I must have checked for bed bugs 5 times just to be safe), the kitchen they offered was very nice, the bathrooms were clean and the price was right. We had our own room with a bunk, the mattress was Tempurpedic-like, we enjoyed it very much. Not having a bathroom in our room wasn't ideal but it was fine for the night. I'd definitely stay there again in the future if it was close to our venue.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Honest, Thanks so much for your kind comments and observations. We work very hard to insure a clean, tidy environment for all our guests. We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again! Travel safe.
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

A great weekend place on a budget. We were close to clubs and bars, right in the thick of Chinatown, and maybe 200 feet from the nearest subway station. In terms of the hostel itself, it was a fairly typical HI hostel: lots of people from a wide variety of places mutually coexisting. It can result in longer waits for the bathroom, but whatevs. It's worth it to me to stay in a place that's bustling with human activity.

Room Tip: The 4-person rooms are great if you're traveling as a couple and visiting friends :-)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
AHManagement, General Manager at Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Kevin, Thanks so much for the kind comments. We appreciate your viewpoint and your world view. It's been a pleasure these past years hosting guests from every corner of the globe. The interaction between people of different countries shrinks our globe and enlarges our understanding. Thanks again and travel safe.
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

A Typical HI Hostel. Clean, good kitchen facilities and safe. For this hostel however, this is where the positives end.

For starters, this is is the worst hostel imaginable to stay at for lone travellers who want to meet new people. The average age of people staying in this hostel is; and I'm not kidding; above 40! Being in my early 20s I did not meet anyone resembling my own age.

Ofcourse older people guarantee snoring, and general disinterest. Likewise, the few people I came across in their 30s seemed very unfriendly and were most certainly not there to be socialize. Having stayed in approximately 45/50 hostels, I can honestly say the HI in Seattle has the worst social vibe I had ever come across.

Other negeatives:

Very small fridge space. The hostel wasn't even full yet had a fridge that was nowhere near big enough.

The 'free' advertised wifi was unusable. Absolutely pathetic that a large hostel cannot guarantee good wifi service. ( as advertised).

Overall, I spent all of my time alone at this hi hostel; experiencing terrible sleep due to constant snoring.

Seriously... Why do 40 year olds feel it is appropriate to stay in a hostel?

Avoid!

• Stayed October 2012
David S, Thanks for the comments and unique view of our property. It's hard to determine the average age of our guests but by all demographics it is between 19 - 28. During your stay there were no less than 30 students most below the age of 30. HI USA has no age limits for guests. We entretain travelers of all ages from every corner of the globe. We purchase all the available Wi Fi we can find. There are times when guests are using large bits of available data and it sometimes limits access. My apologies for the less than satisfactory connection. The Wi Fi is and will remain free.

Again, my apologies for your less than satisfactory stay. I hope someday your return and find things more enjoyable.

Cheers and travel safe!

Been to Hostelling International Seattle at American Hotel? Share your experiences!