“Didn't live up to expectations” 3 of 5 stars

Book a Tour
Ranked #45 of 115 Tours & Activities in Seattle
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Pike Place Market, Market Ghost Tours offers different walking tours year round. Named one of the Top Ten US Ghost Tours by tripavisor 2009 & 2010, the skeptic and believer can enjoy this exterior walking tour of Pike Place Market because it is rooted in history. Our emphasis is on storytelling. We also offer the Mortuary Investigation, which goes inside the Butterworth Mortuary during the summer and fall. During the day we have a 60 minute history tour focused on the merchants in the Market. The Pike Place Market is a nine acre district with over 400 residents as well as businesses. It also includes the city's first mortuary, part of an old graveyard, and a brothel that still has a red glow cast on its side. Leave the high heels at home because some of the streets are cobblestones. We encourage you to bring your cameras to try and capture phenomena and also to take some beautiful pictures of the neon and theatrical architecture in the Market. Find us, tickets and tours start at Ghost Alley Espresso at 1499 Post Alley, just before the Gum Wall!
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
Zelienople, Pennsylvania
11 attraction reviews
“Didn't live up to expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I had booked this tour through a deal on the Amazon Local – Seattle site at a discounted rate. The tour was scheduled from 7-8:15. We were supposed to check in at 1499 Post Alley before the tour. Being that this was our first day in Seattle we were not familiar with where this was. We had asked several people and were unable to find it. Eventually, we found it moments before 7:00. We checked in. By the description, I thought we were supposed to have an Expresso included in the tour, but it wasn’t offered to us. I suppose I could have pressed someone, but at that point, I was just happy to find the meeting place. There was a sizeable group that had signed up for the tour. The tour lasted for 45 minutes to an hour of basically walking around a few blocks while the guide told some haunted stories of Seattle’s past. I would say the tour was worth the $9 per person I paid for it, but I would have a hard time paying more than that (especially without the drink that was supposed to be included). I expected alittle more from this tour.

Visited September 2013
Mercedes C, Owner at Market Ghost Tours, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hello Heather, I wanted to clear up one thing. There was no espresso offered with the amazon local deal. Perhaps because our name is Market Ghost Tours and Espresso, that may have lead to your assumption. The deal stated clearly "Good for two tour tickets + Valid only for the market ghost tour" You did not miss anything and we did not withhold a drink from you. As for the tour = Not many people realize that the Market is as a district. Our tour is advertised as an exterior tour but we are within the Market the entire time. I will work with your guide to make sure they communicate that and also I will address their timing. It is October, our biggest month. so our group sizes can be larger than at other times of the year. Thanks for your note.

“So cool!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had a blast! I never knew so many creepy things happened here! Very informative and we were glad there were no gimmicky scares. Very fun!

Vancouver, Canada
10 attraction reviews
“We will be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I are fans of ghost shows and often search for 'haunted' hotels. We randomly ran into one of the tours starting when we were at the famous 'gum wall'. The tour starts at Ghost Alley Espresso.

Earlier in the day we had learned that a local nearby bar was featured on the popular Travel Chanel show, Ghost Adventures, so were excited to find out more from this tour.

Our tour guide, Heather, was vibrant and seemed to enjoy her job of sharing the rich (and often dark) history of the market. She knew her stuff and shared her knowledge in a clear, concise and charismatic way.

We left the 75 minute tour with a greater appreciation of the Public Market and all it's characters who have lived and passed in this beloved place.

We will be back to take the Mortuary tour they offer as well. They are sold out for October though.

Tip: The tea we bought from the cafe came with a $2 off coupon for the tour. This was after we had bought our tour tickets.

Seattle, Washington
15 attraction reviews
“Some interesting facts but not must do”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My expectations were high for the Market Ghost Tour and I was a little disappointed in the end. At no time throughout the tour was anyone in our group spooked. We heard a lot of interesting facts about the market and some of the interesting characters that have hung around it over the years, but nothing we heard really put fear in anyone. I think someone really interested in history would enjoy this tour.

Visited October 2013
Mercedes C, Owner at Market Ghost Tours, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. We state very clearly on our website and promotional materials that we do not purposely try to scare anyone. We present the experience as "a walking tour rooted in history." Some people are scared but more often they are delighted at learning about the land and unknown history of the area. I certainly don't want anyone to be disappointed so I try very hard to make clear how we present the ghost stories in advance of a ticket purchase and when giving the tour. Our guarantee is that you will see the Market in a different way. Our goal is to engage people and offer them a different perspective on a place visited by ten million people a year. I appreciate your time in writing about your experience. I personally read each review and am always looking at ways of improving our adventures in the Market.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
“Eh.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I learned a few things about the market, but overall I was underwhelmed. Our guide seemed distracted and wasn't very good at guiding the group, and I frequently felt as if we were in the way of others walking. She was knowledgeable and had an obvious passion for the topic, but I didn't feel like I got my money's worth. Heard about 4 stories.

Visited October 2013

Been to Market Ghost Tours? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Market Ghost Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.