“Twice as High as the Space Needle” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Columbia Center Sky View Observatory

Columbia Center Sky View Observatory
701 Fifth Ave, Columbia Street, Seattle, WA 98104 (Formerly Bank of America Tower)
206-386-5564
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 212 attractions in Seattle
Type: Observation Decks/ Towers, Architectural Buildings
Attraction Details
Richmond, Virginia
44 attraction reviews
“Twice as High as the Space Needle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

For a great view of Seattle, head here! There are no lines, lots of space to move around, and descriptions of everything you can see from the observation floor. At only $5/ticket, you can't beat the price. Head to the front desk of the building (on the main floor) to buy a ticket before going up - there is no way to purchase tickets on the 73rd floor unless it is summer.

Bologna, Italy
8 attraction reviews
“a must - amazing experience and cheap!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

I cannot understand why people continue going to the sky needle when they could save a lot of money and get a better view from here! This building his the tallest in downtown seattle; you get a360* view all around seattle. It's so beautiful - I go there everytime I visit Seattle. Don't miss it --- definitely the best attraction downtown

Seattle
“An experience I will never forget”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

I was very excited to visit the Columbia Tower. I had heard from friends that it's a great, inexpensive alternative to the Space Needle, and the views are just as good. My boyfriend and I decided to go there on Halloween a couple of years ago. When we got there the attendants asked us to remove our masks, which was totally understandable, BUT once we got to the top, we put them back on. WOW!! The view was spectacular. It was such a clear day. I just couldn't believe it. There was a mime troupe there too, they were sure doing some interesting maneuvers. It really added to the experience. We stayed up there ALL day, long enough to watch the amazing sunset. After the sunset, we got a spooky feeling. The hairs on my arms were standing straight up and I could feel a presence behind me that was NOT my boyfriend. We decided to head back down. Suddenly, we noticed we were the only ones left in the tower. Totally FREAKED, we raced to the elevator and luckily there was still one attendant there to take us down. There was something a bit strange about him, but we were so eager to "get down" we hopped in and hoped for the best. The attendant kept asking me how much I weighed and tried over and over to guess the weight of my boyfriend ... weirdo. Anyway, there was a SHAKE and the lights in the elevator went down. We both saw apparition. A movement of light that swirled around the elevator and kept knocking off my boyfriend's baseball hat. The elevator attendant was unfazed. I wonder if this happens all the time??? Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience.

Avon, Ohio
6 attraction reviews
“Easily worth the price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

If you want to avoid the touristy crowds of the Space Needle (or just want another view of Seattle), the BOA tower is definitely worth it.

Because not that many know about it, the crowds are few and far between, at least for now. $5 per person gets you into the observation deck on the 75th floor, where glass wraps around 3/4 of the floor. The north/northeast views are what you don't see, but you can clearly see the Space Needle down below (in the pics with this review), and all the way across Lake Washington.

The observation deck itself is quiet and peasceful, helped in part because a radio show operates in the "interior", and there are signs around asking to keep the noise down. Other posted signs indicate where various landmarks are, but basically, you can see from the pictures that even on a cloudy day you can see for quite a distance.

For those afraid of heights or any potential "instability" of the building, you wouldn't even know you're up that high -- it feels like you're on the ground floor other than your ears popping. Solid as a rock. Oh, and the elevators are huge -- you could park a car in them!

Wellington
3 attraction reviews
“excellent view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2008

The view is mind blowing. Its like being in an airplane and looking down on all the ants below. On a good day you can see right into the sounds and look down on the space needle while paying a fraction of the price.