“A Very Good Tuesday Night Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Anchovies and Olives is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #400 of 3,490 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 15th & Pine
Seattle, Washington
“A Very Good Tuesday Night Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

After driving around the city looking for a place to eat that was open (post Labor Day Monday extended closings), my friend and I came upon Anchovies & Olives.

I have always seen this place but never bother to give it a try. Not sure why I didn't but I will be back for sure. Two out of three appetizers rocked us but one didn't. Can't win them all.

Our entrees were both pretty delightful, too. One linguine and clams with slightly under done pasta was redeemed but an amazing sauce that used preserved lemons. Great twist to save the dish. The second dish was house made pasta with a heavy tomato and meat sauce. Hearty meal on a cool autumnal night.

The service was spotty since the server was not well informed about the wine list or the menu. Surprisingly the food runner had a better grasp on the whole show. Someone needs a promotion, boss!

Would return again.

Visited September 2012

Seattle
“All my favorite things”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I LOVED this restaurant. I and friends started with oysters on the half shell. I especially liked the citrus ice and chili ice toppings. Then we shared a melon, cucumber and anchovy salad -- it was incredible. Next came yummy pasta dishes. There were several fish entrees on the menu also. I didn't know what to choose -- they all sounded fabulous. Also indulged in a very tasty Pinot Grigio. My friends ordered a very decadent dessert that they raved about. The service was absolutely tip top. I'm already planning a return trip.

Visited July 2012
Blythewood, South Carolina
“Good food, odd music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Anchovies and Olives has a completely open kitchen, and the dining room vibe is laid back and relaxed. Our starters of roasted cauliflower and dungeness crab risotto were excellent; the smoked trout salad was light on the trout but otherwise tasty. My 19-year-old daughter loved the bucatini with pancetta and spicy pomodoro, and my sockeye was excellently prepared. My husband enjoyed his sea scallops with eggplant caponata. The only complaint--and this is mild--is that the background music was energetic and discordant, which did not mesh with the atmosphere in the dining room at all.

Visited August 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Terrific Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Two of us ate at Anchovies and Olives on a Friday night and had a wonderful experience. The walk to the restaurant from downtown was fun - the Capitol Hill neighborhood was bustling with a fun crowd preparing for the block party. The restaurant has a great feel. The windows were open, the kitchen is front-and-center upon entry and it's nice to be able to see the crew work with such deftness and rhythm.

We shared the Burrata appetizer which was amazing. Their house bread is just killer (why can't more restaurants have great bread?). My wife tried a quartet of oysters and said they were by far the best of our trip to the Pacific Northwest. They were wonderful on their own but were accented (I think that was the key) with delicate and creative touches - I believe one was topped with a little touch of iced rhubarb shavings. Each flavor complimented and accentuated the distinctiveness of the different oysters.

I don't normally select chicken but saw two come out of the kitchen and had to try it. It was wonderfully savory, juicy...it just made me happy. So happy that I forget what my wife ordered for her entree but I know she loved it.

From start to finish, our meal at Anchovies and Olives was a terrific experience and I'd highly recommend it. If you're not from Seattle and staying back near downtown center (e.g., The Westin) and it's a nice evening, walk back! It's 'downhill' and gives you fun exposure to a great neighborhood and marvelous city.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Interesting food, too loud to have a conversation.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Loved the food, a bit too loud. Parking is difficult. Wait staff were quite busy but handled it well. Restaurant is tiny. No place to wait for a table if you do not have a reservation.

Visited May 2012