“I eat here a lot” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Takeout, Delivery
seattle wa
“I eat here a lot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Good meat, fresh veggies and brown rice...not greasy like other places...good quality Asian good that I am able to take friends to and not be ashamed of....kung pau is especially good.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Seattle, Washington, United States
“It's good if you order the right dish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The lunch at Chef Liao is a particular bargain. I always get Kung Pao Chicken, and while theirs is not as excellent as the version that Judy Fu's Snappy Dragon dishes up, it's very good on its own terms - the sauce is pretty light and not at all goopy; the vegetables (carrots, celery and water chestnuts) are fresh and crisp (normally I do not believe that these things belong in Kung Pao Chicken, but Liao makes it work and I salute them) and the chicken is lean and perfectly cooked. The peanuts could be a little crunchier, and the food is never quite spicy enough - but they have chili paste and a spoonful of that puts everything right.

The soup and appetizer that accompany the lunch are not necessary, and not good. The entree portion is generous enough.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Down home, straight-ahead Chinese food done right”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Nothing fancy here, just food cooked on a fiery stovetop, fresh and perfectly prepared. Particulary enjoy the Eggplant with Black Bean Sauce, and the Honey Walnut Prawns. Love that they offer every dish gluten-free.

Visited April 2013
“Ugh, this is painful.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went because it is down the street from me and wanted to support local restaurant. Never again will I be so green. Waited 45 minutes for the soup to come. Service was slow. Food was bland, greasy. Next time I'll go all the way to Chinatown for proper Chinese food.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“One of my favorites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

For those of us lucky enough to live near this restaurant, it's a return-trip sort of meal option. The food is an interesting mix of Asian dishes, mostly Chinese (Mandarin and a selection of Canton style I'm told is very traditional). A few of the dishes I didn't love but that's just me (I don't care for sweet and sour so the orange sticky sugar sauce version they serve here doesn't thrill me) and the rest more than make up for it. The salt and pepper tofu is the one food on earth that I crave. The Mongolian chicken/beef/pork is not the same thing you get in other restaurants and in my opinion is superior. The Dried Beef Chow Foon is worth visiting for alone. And best of all maybe, the food is completely reliable. I have never ordered a two star and got a five or ordered a four star and got a one. I can't say that about any other restaurant. Highly recommended.

• Visited October 2012