“Green Tortoise Is Great” 5 of 5 stars

The Green Tortoise Hostel
105 1/2 Pike Street, Seattle, WA 98101 (Pike Place Market)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“Green Tortoise Is Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2006

I have stayed at the Green Tortoise many times over the last ten years. While, I admit the hostel is not for eveyone, for those that like the culture it is paradise. This place is a party hostel. It is a little rough around the edges, but it is safe and easy to love. In an age of Starbucks and conformity, the Green Tortoise is like a rocket ship to another universe. It is wierd and wild and really fun. The place is clean and they go to great lengths to make sure you have a good time. I am glad places like this still exist.

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2005

I can't stress to the traveller enough - DO NOT BOTHER WITH SEATTLE AT ALL. The residents of Seattle are deceptive - they are totally evil and have nothing to offer you. That's why this city is famous for being the "most expensive city in America" for the second year; it's not worth anything. Another claim is that it's the "fittest city in America" which is complete evil, because this is mentally illness and terrible sickness in a city. About the Green Tortoise Hostel - it is no exception. The guests here right now are hideous, and the staff is a bunch of rude, drug addicted psychos with no qualms about theft. They will push you over the edge and then refuse to give you a refund, and then try to send you packing without spending the night. That's if you're very nice and mind your own business. They'll come and get in your face and try your innocence - they're that evil. PLEASE DO NOT STAY AT THE GREEN TORTOISE HOSTEL and DO NOT BOTHER WITH SEATTLE.

• Stayed October 2005
Gallup, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2005

My husband and I stayed here after 5 days of camping around the Olympic Peninsula. It felt like a luxurious hotel for all we cared as we have a private sink in the room. It is a block away from the Pike Market Place. Could not ask for more. We spent most of our time at the Seattle Folk Festival which by the way was incredible. We met so many intersting people from all over the world. Public transportation was easily within walking distance. The only challenge we had was parking as expected in any city. We are thinking of returning here next year for the Folk Fest again. Would definitely recomend the Green Tortoise Hostel.

• Stayed May 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2005

After staying at the Green Tortoise Hostel in San Francisco, we decided to book a room at the Green Tortoise in Seattle, because we were pleased with the accomadations in San Fran overall. I booked a private room for about $50, and it was much larger than the private rooms in San Fran. The hostel had a nice, large kitchen, and a large social area for drinking beer, checking email (the hostel provides free internet access, and free wireless access if you have a laptop), etc. The dorms are nice, and not overly crowded or small. The location of the hostel is great...right by the Market downtown. The place is clean, the staff is very nice and helpful, and the rooms are a good deal for the price. If you are a couple on budget travel, the private rooms here are a much better deal than the Green Tortoise in San Fran. Much larger with more private bathrooms close by. Parking is a bit of a problem, but much cheaper than what we experienced in San Fran at the Green Tortoise. You can park for 24hrs in a close lot for about $12/night. There is onsite laundry, a library and a large kitchen. I'd reccomend this place for budget travelers.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2003

This place is okay. The people are nice and the breakfast/dinner is good. But, our room was less than clean, had no fan or ventilation, no table or desk for putting stuff on, and no towel bar or shelf by the sink. Everything went on the floor or on a scuzzy chair. Plus, the room was noisy and overlooked a strip club, the drunken patrons of which are rather disturbing in the wee hours. But for the location and low cost I guess its allright.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2003

I stayed at both Seattle hostels.The Green Tortoise was way more fun,cheaper and is located right next to Hostelling International near Pike Place market. Green Tortoise had delicious free dinners, a free internet machine and a free breakfest. First night I stayed in one of the rooms on the street side which was noisy the staff was great,they moved me the next night to a quiter room at the back with a tiny little view of Seattle harbor.
I felt safe there as a woman travelling alone too!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2003

Transsexual travellers might have a less idyllic time at this hostel. At least with the male staff. BTW I identify as male to female.

More than that the owner of Green Tortoise when I seemed amused by my troubles when I wrote him about them.

I visited in summer 2000.

The first time I stayed in one of the female dorm. I liked the hostel more than the sterile IYH hostel down the street.

A week or so later I came back and when I gently asked if they had room in the women's dorm the guy at the desk glared at me like a top-hatted dandy who a street beggar had just asked for change. The other hostel had no vacancies. I did not know anyone in the city so did know where else I sleep.

As he gave me the key he said, "Thank you, sir," this would offend me. I slept in the mixed dorm.

Meeting the manager of the hostels I asked him if he would remind me of the desk guy's name.

"Why?" he asked me.

"He gave me a hard time and I would like to mention him by name in the letter I send to Green Tortoise's owner."

He responded by telling me to go. I laughed at that because he had told me that ten minutes before checking out time.

When I e-mailed the owner he responded in a tone which I couldn't make out, whether he meant to sound sarcastic or sincere. I did not offer to refund me my stay or apologize or show any indication that he understand why I had written or what had gone on.

I wrote him to clarify what he had meant by this. No response.

(Self-edited to remove any "profanity" or "personal insults" by me.)

Been to The Green Tortoise Hostel? Share your experiences!