“great place to lay the head down” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Green Tortoise Hostel to your Saves list
The Green Tortoise Hostel
105 Pike Street, Seattle, WA 98101 (Downtown)   |
New Westminster
“great place to lay the head down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

have nothing but good to say about this hostel, i mean they have a smoking lounge and were not talking tabacco!!! I have only stayed twice but will be back each time i go south of the border!! Close to both stadiums and right at the Market and the nightlife

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Curitiba, PR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Great location, in front of Pike Place Market. The bunk beds have a lamp, a fan and two additional outlets to charge phone, cameras, ipads, etc.). The bunks also had privacy curtains which give little more privacy. On Tuesday night there was free dinner (a delicious pasta!). The wifi was good and the staff are very helpful. I really recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I loved how friendly the people working the desk were. They were helpful and nice and didn't seem weird or overly alternative like many other hostels have. The bunks all have a lamp, a fan, and two additional outlets to charge phonea, ereaders etc. They also had privacy curtains which was outstanding! No getting bli ded by the hall light when someone comes in late, and lets face it, a little privacy is nice whem you're sleeping, changing or just trying to relax.
The location wa snext to a Target, across from Hard Rock, a starbucks, an amazing crumpet shop where I always have breakfast on my Seattle trips and across from the famous Pike Place Market. Easy walk to the waterfront as well and an easy bus ride to the Amtrak station.

The downside to this place is the pillow was super flat and basically useless. I got up in the middle of the night to find another one. Seriously, put two pillows on the bed whwn they're that worn out. The pther thing is it wa sa bit chilly and they only give you one blanket and I was unable to find another. The third and last downside was the wifi only works in the common are, so no layinv in bed and checking email or streaming a movie. :( Overall I think it's the best hostel I've stayed in based on the outlets, privacy curtains and location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Oberalm, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We have chosen the Green Tortoise already for 2 times when visiting Seattle. The very first time we have been in a double room, second time in a 4-people room. When we have been the first time it was nice and comfortable. In the 4 people room it was vey hot and noisy. But never mind - the price was cheap!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
澳門
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The location is great! It is located very near to the Pike place market, and opposite of Hark Rock Cafe. I can get good food nearby, it is cheap and very accessible. The hostel is clean, but it was quite noisy in the night time because it is very close to the street. It has provided free wifi and the staff is very nice.

地點很好,就在Pike Place Market那面!到那裏都很方便,價錢亦很便宜,我們入住了4人房間,但在住宿其間都沒有其他房客加入,有提供很簡單的早餐,也有免費上網,員工都很好,我們遇上了一位會說廣東的職員。但晚上有點嘈,可能是太靠近街道!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hostel is in a great location, right next to Pike Place Market. Facilities were good; bathrooms were excellent and exceptionally clean. A basic breakfast is provided and a free dinner a few nights a week. I didn't get a chance to have the free dinner here but I've tried it in their hostel in San Francisco and it was really good. I stayed in an 8 bed dorm. Space was very limited. There are huge lockers underneath the beds and your stuff really needs to be kept in these at all times as there really is no other floor space. A minor annoyance with the layout of the room was that the locker doors opened in front of the door to the room so on several occasions I couldn't actually gain access to the room until people were finished with their locker.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

On February 12 2013, between 3 and 4 pm, I went to the Green Tortoise to check in, the night before I was there occupying a bed that was reserved for the next day, so I checked out and did some earns before I came back.
At the desk, the guy who attended me, asked me for my info and I showed my Mexican passport, when he saw it he told me that he could not rent a bed to me because "someone" has said that I had been rude. I asked who was the person and in which circumstances I had been rude, he responded that he doesn't have the obligation to tell me who was the person or the situation, that maybe was someone who works at the desk.
I told him that it was about my reputation and I wanted to know what was the problem, he was acting over powerfully and said that he wont tell me who was the person, I told him that if he does not tell me I would think that he was discriminating me, he said that if I wanted to think so, I was right, I could not believe it, that in front of other travelers he was affirming that he was discriminating me. Then he told me that I must go or he would call the police, he took the phone and called the police. I told him that he should give to them my number because I have not done nay wrong thing. I was waiting for the police out side to explain the problem, but they never showed up.
A friend of mine latino as well, told me that in the pass he had a very bad experience in the city of Seattle. I can not say the same of the San Francisco Green Tortoise where I have been several times and I never have had any bad experience. But this problem in the GT in Seattle, make me post this comment/complain, even I don't know if is an individual -isolated case or is a managing policy.
I just recommend you that if you are latino, or a supportive traveler, no to support a hostel with discrimination and racist history.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Green Tortoise Hostel? Share your experiences!