“stinky” 2 of 5 stars

The Green Tortoise Hostel
105 Pike Street, Seattle, WA 98101 (Downtown)   |
“stinky”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2003

This place is okay. The people are nice and the breakfast/dinner is good. But, our room was less than clean, had no fan or ventilation, no table or desk for putting stuff on, and no towel bar or shelf by the sink. Everything went on the floor or on a scuzzy chair. Plus, the room was noisy and overlooked a strip club, the drunken patrons of which are rather disturbing in the wee hours. But for the location and low cost I guess its allright.

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2003

I stayed at both Seattle hostels.The Green Tortoise was way more fun,cheaper and is located right next to Hostelling International near Pike Place market. Green Tortoise had delicious free dinners, a free internet machine and a free breakfest. First night I stayed in one of the rooms on the street side which was noisy the staff was great,they moved me the next night to a quiter room at the back with a tiny little view of Seattle harbor.
I felt safe there as a woman travelling alone too!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2003

Transsexual travellers might have a less idyllic time at this hostel. At least with the male staff. BTW I identify as male to female.

More than that the owner of Green Tortoise when I seemed amused by my troubles when I wrote him about them.

I visited in summer 2000.

The first time I stayed in one of the female dorm. I liked the hostel more than the sterile IYH hostel down the street.

A week or so later I came back and when I gently asked if they had room in the women's dorm the guy at the desk glared at me like a top-hatted dandy who a street beggar had just asked for change. The other hostel had no vacancies. I did not know anyone in the city so did know where else I sleep.

As he gave me the key he said, "Thank you, sir," this would offend me. I slept in the mixed dorm.

Meeting the manager of the hostels I asked him if he would remind me of the desk guy's name.

"Why?" he asked me.

"He gave me a hard time and I would like to mention him by name in the letter I send to Green Tortoise's owner."

He responded by telling me to go. I laughed at that because he had told me that ten minutes before checking out time.

When I e-mailed the owner he responded in a tone which I couldn't make out, whether he meant to sound sarcastic or sincere. I did not offer to refund me my stay or apologize or show any indication that he understand why I had written or what had gone on.

I wrote him to clarify what he had meant by this. No response.

(Self-edited to remove any "profanity" or "personal insults" by me.)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2002

I stayed at the Green Tortoise for a week and LOVED it. The people there are so friendly and the location really is convenient. I would recommend this hostel to anyone who is interested in staying in Seattle.

Been to The Green Tortoise Hostel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Green Tortoise Hostel

Address: 105 Pike Street, Seattle, WA 98101
Location: United States > Washington > Seattle > Downtown , Pike Place Market
Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi )
Ranked #3 of 13 Specialty lodging in Seattle
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld, Booking.com, Priceline and HostelBookers so you can book your The Green Tortoise Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Green Tortoise Hotel Seattle

If you own or manage The Green Tortoise Hostel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.