“Great location, food, value, service -- but tired” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #61 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
Vancouver, Canada
“Great location, food, value, service -- but tired”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Technically I want to give it a 3.5 rating. We'd scored a really great deal on a discount-booking site, so when I called ahead to choose a king bed, I didn't expect they'd feel the need to extend much kindness to us, but they were fantastic. They made sure we had a non-smoking room, too. (There are still smoking rooms in Seattle??) Front-desk staff were super-friendly, and free wi-fi always earns my gratitude. The free morning breakfast had tons of options; the only downside was that on a weekend morning, jockeying for tables and toast was actually getting a little contentious. But that is more a commentary on the clientele than on the hotel.
Our bathroom door was made of a cheap material and looked pretty worn out, but the room was clean and the bed was really comfortable. It's a three-minute walk to the Space Needle and EMP, so if you don't mind walking fifteen minutes (ten flat blocks) to the shopping district and the Market, it's worth the savings. West-facing rooms have really great views, too.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

A great hotel only a few blocks from the Seattle space needle, and within walking distance to my destination, rendezvous and the jewel boc theater. Stayed in room 405, checked ou on jan. 29th.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Sherwood, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We stayed at this property primarily for its location to the Seattle Center. During our stay we also rode the Monorail to Westlake and the downtown shopping, and then walked back to the hotel. We have stayed at many Holiday Inn Express in our travels around the country, and I would say this property is less than the normal experience. The property is older and is definitely showing wear and tear. New carpet and paint are needed. Room is smaller but clean.The staff were not overly friendly, but did take care of requests, etc in a timely manner. The breakfast was the typical Holiday Inn Express menu but they have definitely trimmed some items ...reducing costs? As Priority Club members we prefer to stay within the Holiday Inn brand, therefore our next trip to Seattle downtown area we will return to staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. More expensive but excellant staff, service, but unfortunately no comp breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing street and Space Needle if you want a view, otherwise you are looking at the bac...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Not my usual choice of hotel or even hotel class, as this was an atypical trip I took where budget trumped all else (got a two-queen room with free wi-fi and breakfast for less than $65/nt which can't be beat given the circumstances). Location is OK at best, though really depends on why you're in Seattle and what you want to do. It is located on a rather busy and grimy street but if that's not an issue, Seattle City Center is just a block away and Belltown/Downtown is a 10-15 walk or shorter bus ride in. If you have a car and need to get around, driving to I-5 or other major arteries seems easy. The room was clean, as were the rest of the premises. "Fitness room" really just consists of five outdated cardio machines and a treadmill, and the pool is really only usable if no more than 3 people are in it (or say, 4-6 little kids which, on this trip, were the primary users). Great for 1-2 night business travel, or perhaps a short vacation for young families traveling on a tight budget. Breakfast could really benefit from some fresh fruit, but then again it's there and free if you want it...mostly biscuits, eggs and a meat microwaved in bulk. There is yogurt, instant oatmeal, and some other assorted pastries available as well. I believe overnight parking is $10/nt though we didn't use it.

Room Tip: If you want a room facing the Space Needle, ask about the road noise as these rooms do face a busy e...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

This was the 2nd Holiday Inn we stayed at after the first one in Pulluyup WA where we loved everything about the place we decided that for our Seattle trip this was the place to go. It was very good but not as good as the first one service, food cleanlieness and value are all great the Breakfast had a few less items than the first one but other than that it was terrific

It is also near many downtown attractions

Room Tip: this one is near the highway so get a room opposite the highway if you want a quite room
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
dhambrick, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Thank you for commenting on your experience with us! We strive to exceed expectations in our service, cleanliness, and amenities, especially when compared to newer properties, and it sounds like we were able to do that. I hope you will continue to choose our hotel when staying in Seattle! We look forward to serving you again.

Best Regards,
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012 via mobile

What a wonderful find in downtown Seattle! Free wi-fi and breakfast and a breath-taking view of the Space Needle! And an enthusiastic and greatful nod to Cassidy at the front desk who was especially nice and helpful.

We walked to both the Market and Pier 69, which took about 20 minutes and might be a bit long for little ones...cabs and cars were also available for $10 or less. Westlake Center was also walkable and their foodcourt was ideal for our limited budget and completely opposite cravings for dinner (my daughter had "the BEST" fettucini alfredo and I had a gyro).

Great staff, good location, and all the amenities of Holiday Inn Express!

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We are extremely delighted to be a partner with Victoria Clipper, and I am so glad you found us to be convenient in getting to the pier. Thank you, too, for your kind words regarding Cassidy. I will make sure your compliments are passed on to her. She is a great asset to our staff, and she will certainly appreciate the recognition. I hope we will be able to host you and your party again in the future!

Best Regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel visiting my boyfriend in the military for new years. My first night the room and service was perfect. The second night we were moved into a smoking room that gave me a terrible headache and made my clothes smell like an ash tray. I understood it was NYE and they could not change my room, however, mathew smith who works the front service desk was rude in the manor and smarted off to another employee about me as I walked away from our conversation of not being able to change rooms. He told me there wasn't a manager I could talk to and the holiday inn does not have a cooperate phone number. I have never been treated with such disrespect and be littleness. I will not visit here again.

• Stayed December 2011
First, I would like to apologize for the delay in response to your feedback. I was unable to access this site for a period of time. Please be assured that I take all feedback either positive or negative very seriously, and I will be following up with the employee involved. I am both surprised and disappointed to hear of your experience at our hotel. Granted, New Year's Eve is one of the busiest days of the year for us and availability is somewhat limited, but it is the way in which we respond to situations such as this that makes all the difference. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you directly. My email address and phone number are listed below. Please let me know what I can do to encourage you to give us another try. If you choose not to return, I understand. I hope that this experience does not deter you from choosing to stay with Holiday Inn Express brands in the future.

hambrick@hcbmi.com
206-674-6262 (Direct)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Seattle City Center? Share your experiences!