“Fantastic location, basic rooms but great breakfast” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The College Inn

You added The College Inn to your Saves list
The College Inn
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4000 University Way NE, Seattle, WA 98105 (University District)   |
Ranked #72 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
UK
“Fantastic location, basic rooms but great breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

Would recommend this place for location alone - right in the heart of the university district and next to central bus route for downtown. Rooms are very basic and share bathrooms not to everyone's taste but always very clean and excellent breakfast. Great value for a great location.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

The College Inn is a nice surprise; with lots of charm and well maintained facilities, the College Inn is an inexpensive choice while in Seattle. The surrounding amenities are fine, although if you are a bit older the loud, drunk university youth on the weekends can be a bit trying, but overall an enjoyable experience and would go back again if going to Seattle.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

If you enjoyed living in the dorms during your college years, like my husband and I did, you'll enjoy staying at The College Inn for your vacation to Seattle. We arrived early, so we had to wait an hour before the receptionist came to check us in. We were lucky that a cafe on the corner, connected to the Inn, was open. We ordered some coffee and shared a brownie. Check in was easy and we found a lot of materials to take with us about the surrounding area. The breakfast area is in the attic, just watch your head as it's slanted because of the roof. They had a lot of breakfast items to choose from to start the day! Our room was small but good enough as we weren't going to spend a lot of time there. The bed, towels, and sink were clean, but you could tell the carpets were used, especially in the hallway. Showers were down the hallway and each private but all in one room. The Pub was connected to the Inn. We didn't eat there, but it was always busy with people going in whenever we came back from a day of sightseeing. This place was quiet, too, for a college campus. Maybe the students had left for the year already?

Granted the Inn is a few miles from all of downtown Seattle, but you can walk there (about 45 minutes) or take a short bus ride. If your feet get tired, ride the Light Rail.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Wished I had another small area to move into once I got out of the shower.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

While I think it was a great option for the price, I wouldn't rave like the other travelers have. I do have some complaints.

We had a 2-bed room that unfortunately sits right above the pub - noisy if the windows are open at night. It seems to be a popular place and we didn't have the option to relocate in the inn.

The hallway carpeting was gross - replace it! It had bad stains and sometimes smelled.

There was enough dust in the room (baseboards, head board of bed, shelves) that I only left a small tip for housekeeping.

Also, we found communication to be lacking. We tried for 3 days to contact them about our late arrival. Luckily we got hold of them en route to our plane, but criminy - call us back! And not to offend but the Asian guy at check-in (I'm also Asian) was really not helpful at all, didn't seem familiar with the area.

However, on the up side, location was central (although I wouldn't be walking around alone after 11), breakfast & internet were free and you couldn't really hear noise from the other tenants. For the price, we were happy overall. I would probably stay there again if I wanted to save money.

• Liked — Price value
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, outside noise
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
chickadee40040
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

I thought this hotel was charming. Customer service was great. I had never ridden a bus before, much less in a big city. The manager and owner helped figure out which lines to go on, and what to expect. I was nervous but they made me feel comfortable. Going to this hotel and Seattle, WA was my first trip alone (I'm 19) and so this hotel greeted my kindly. All the guests were very friendly, and the breakfast was quite delicious. The rooms were clean, as well as the bathrooms (yes they are shared, though I had no problem to it. Especially since it says on their site and in their hotel description on Expedia). There were lots of places to eat around the hotel. There was also a nice park with hiking trails... About a 20-30 min. walk. It was very nice and relaxing. My bed was also extremely comfortable.

In reference to other reviews:
RE: Shared Bathrooms
It says this on their site
RE: Have to ring bell to get in every-time and wait for someone to open for you.
Not true. The manager of the hotel gives you a key, and you open the door yourself. You only have to ring once when you first go into the hotel, or if you loose your key. It's there for safety reasons >.>
RE: Noise, couldn't sleep
I slept fine. Mind you I was on the 3rd floor, but still. There was even construction going on right behind the hotel at the time, and I still slept fine.
RE: small mirrors, no clean towels to conserve on water
The mirror to me was perfectly fine, no need for a 10ft mirror or anything. They DO clean your towels everyday if you wish for them to. They have a note saying something along the lines of,"To be eco-friendly and to conserve on water, we encourage our guests to reuse their towels. This conserves on energy and water.." It actually makes a big difference when guests do that. Not just for the hotel but for the environment. Even hotel 8's and hotel 6's have those up now. As well as Travelodge, and others.

Fairbanks
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

The customer service at this hotel is terrible. I reserved, in January for a May trip. I noticed they billed me in April. I called to ask what was up and they never returned the call. I emailed three times and no response. I canceled my reservation and contested my bill with my credit card company. I am amazed by their lack of professionalism. I am still working with my credit card company to get my money back. Stay away from this hotel they are unprofessional. I have noticed the College Inn and on my many visits to Seattle I wanted to try it because of the excellent location.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Customer service and communication
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

I love to stay in small-scale, modest inns and consider myself to be tolerant of a bit of grottiness, minimal service, noise, etc.... Being a Seattle native and UW alum, I've wanted to try the College Inn for years.

I was thus so very inclined to like this place -- but came away with a combination of anger, disappointment, and the decision not to return. Here's why:

--This place is not clean where it matters. The blanket on my bed STANK of some other person's perfume or deoderant -- very distinctive, not an aftersmell of detergent. If they wash the blankets at all, they don't do a very good job.

--The shower drain was badly plugged up, so that within a few seconds I was standing in my own wastewater, which, of course, then sloshes together with the remains of other people's showers -- ugh, I don't want to go on thinking about that....

--I was promised a double room and received a twin room (two twin beds). This was after having booked well ahead of time and getting both a phone and email confirmation of this. They were completely full and since we were staying for only one night, I have a strong suspicion that we were given whatever was left over. I also know that they had switched rooms on us at some late point b/c I had received a call from Chris, the manager, giving me the room number and telling me that since we were arriving late in the p.m. to get buzzed up and just go straight to that room which would be unlocked. On arrival I found that the door was locked (I probably disturbed whoever was there by trying the knob), and I had to buzz the staff who live upstairs to let me into the room that they had set aside for me -- a different one from what I was originally promised.

--The next morning, when I mentioned the room switch, the manager did not at all appear surprised or concerned. He said that it should not have happened but his statement that it "shouldn't" happen again was not at all convincing.

--Website is dishonest: under Parking it says, "Saturday and Sunday free parking one-half block away on a space-available basis." When I called to get directions to this free parking area I was told that it is between 42nd and 43rd on Brooklyn -- which is more like 5 blocks away from the inn. We're walkers, so NBD, but this seems to me to be indicative of a tendency to paint a rosier picture than what actually exists.

--Having had a difficult day of travel and getting only 5 hours of sleep, the next morning I made the error of leaving a clothing item in the room. Two days later, I realize that it is missing and I work hard to follow up with the staff there to locate it. I leave a message, call back when I don't get the courtesy of a return call, stop by in person to inquire, speak with "Joe" (I think that was his name) as well as Dean. I get a couple of assurances that I will receive a call back -- they say they have to check with housekeeping. Even with my repeated calls, including an angry final call that got me the assurance that Chris would call me back the next day, nobody ever bothered to phone me, even to tell me that the item went missing. My guess is that this has happened before, so no big deal from their perspective, and that in my case the housekeeping staff knew someone who could use my clothing item.

The only positive comment I will make is a heartfelt one -- but it isn't about the Inn, it's about the College Inn Pub downstairs. The place is friendly and has an excellent choice of ales. Scruffy and real, if you are a beer enthusiast and are after authenticity instead of hype and polish, I would really recommend the Pub.

• Liked — Near the U and the Pub downstairs
  • Disliked — Dishonesty and a screw-you attitude on the part of the staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The College Inn? Share your experiences!