“Modern hotel with great facilities” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #20 of 95 hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Seattle, Washington
“Modern hotel with great facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

We were lucky to stay here at a discounted rate through Priceline. This hotel has a great location in downtwon Seattle. It has modern furniture and excellent fitness center and swimming pool.

We had one unfortunate incident when we checked in. We discovered unclean pillows on our bed. I assume this was a rare finding in such a upscale hotel. After our complaint, they changed our room. However, we did not receive any other compensation for inconvenience.

The hotel also does not have free Internet. In these days and times, you expect to find free Internet everywhere.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
HyattSeattle, Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this review, November 26, 2010
Thank you for the kind words. I apologize for the incident when you checked in, I was glad that we were able to get you into a new room. Thanks for the nice comments on the location, furniture and fitness facilities. We hope to have the chance to host you again!

1,026 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

and I was extremely impressed........which is really hard to do.

Almost new, there is not a spot on the place. The suite I booked was large and he reported that the bed was the perfect mix of soft and firm. We had coffee and meetings in the suite the first day and everyone agreed that it is just about the nicest hotel in Seattle, edging out the Grand Hyatt across the street and the Westin in Bellevue.

I would like to point out that the lovely young lady at check in was amazing and professional. I wish I had been professional enough to remember her name. The rate was fair for an end week large suite.

Thank you for helping me make a good impression.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this review, November 22, 2010
Thank you for trusting us with your client….we know that in this case the experience we provided was a reflection on you and I am delighted that we came through for you. Thanks so much for the great comments and we hope we can assist you again in the future!
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

The perfect time to stay in a hotel is probably when it is still very new but has had time to work out the kinks. That sweet spot is what you’ll find at Hyatt at Olive 8.

The common areas are very modern and appealing. The restaurant and bar is beautiful; and the fitness center is very large and one of the best I’ve seen. The location is great—it’s definitely worth your while to walk from the hotel, along the vibrant Pine Street shopping district down to Pike Place Market and Belltown. I appreciated the fact that the concierge had made loaner umbrellas available. Their commitment to sustainability neither enhanced nor detracted from our visit; but guests for whom this is a deal-breaker will be happy here.

The rooms were OK. Where we were situated, we opened the door and Boom, there’s the room (i.e. no entry hallway). It made us feel very much on top of the activity in the hallway because, as others have mentioned, the soundproofing isn’t great. Our view was of an office building that appeared to be very close, but I understand that in an urban area, sometime that can’t be helped. Charging for high-speed internet is pretty lousy, though. Even worse, the cost is per device, so if one of you has an iPad and the other has a laptop, count on shelling out twenty bucks. If it were a decision between the two, I’d rather the hotel skip leaving a Seattle Times outside everyone’s door, especially as another nod to being environmentally friendly.

I did get a great rate, which included valet parking and a gift card. So, all things considered, I would stay there again and I’d recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
Thanks for the review, liked your comment about the perfect time to stay in a hotel, hopefully we’ll be in the sweet spot for a while! I also liked your comment on sustainability; that’s the idea, that we are sustainable without impacting the guests’ stay, so that if it is important to the traveler, we will be a real leader, but if not, we are still a great hotel. We appreciate you staying and for your recommendation to others!
kjtraveler2008
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

Went to Seattle for the Chargers/Seahawks football game. Splurged on hotel at Olive 8 because it got great reviews online. It was nice certainly but nothing super fancy. My fiance thought the late night happy hour in the bar was superb. The room's walls were a bit bare and it almost had this feel like they just opened. When we got there we were told the only way we could get a good view would be to upgrade. Since we booked directly with the hotel we were already paying full price for the room and opted not to. Our room faced an office building which we could see right ito. You can easily walk to our hotel from the Public Market so the location was great...just not sure the hotel was worth the money.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking time to leave a review. I will be up front that we do have some rooms (15) that are very close to that adjacent building, and we generally fill those last. Usually it’s not an issue for folks staying on the weekend, but I am sorry that you didn’t feel it was worth the money. I am delighted to hear that you like the happy hour menu (it has been very popular) and the location to the market. For those coming in for Seahawks/Sounders/Mariners, you can jump on the light rail just 1.5 blocks away at Westlake station to get to the game!
Stockport UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I stayed in the Hyatt at Olive 8 for 4 nights in October. The taxi from the airport dropped us at the door, where our bags were taken straight to my room by the Concierge - Earl. The room was large, clean and modern and the beds extremely comfortable. I had a high floor room which let in plenty of natural light - and it was also quiet.
The pool was fantastic! Spacious pool and surround with plenty of loungers. The Jacuzzi was also a good size and changing facilities were excellent. Oh, and it had a brilliant steam room and sauna!!
Breakfast in 'Urbane' was nice and of good quality, however, i wouldn't return for an evening meal as the quality certainly didn't match that of breakfast. The evening meal was returned untouched - and nobody asked why!
An error at checkout left me to pay for an upgrded room that i had not experienced, but this was quickly rectified and my bill altered by an extremely apologetic staff member. I shall leave my review with a positive - Earl the concierge. This guy was excellent, helpful, well informed of Seattle and always had a smile.
I will stay in the Olive if i return to Seattle.

• Stayed October 2010
HyattSeattle, Director of Sales at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this review, November 1, 2010
Thanks for the nice review. I appreciate the comments, both good and bad. I am sorry that the dinner wasn’t memorable, and you are absolutely correct that we should have inquired as to why it was untouched. As well I am sorry for the billing mishap; I understand how frustrating that is. Glad that you got a chance to try out the Jacuzzi, and I am not surprised to see Earl’s name mentioned once again on Tripadvisor; he is a real asset to our team. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Centrally located, within walking distance of Pike's Place and other downtown attractions.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
HyattSeattle, General Manager at Hyatt At Olive 8, responded to this review, November 1, 2010
Thanks for the great review! Appreciate the comments on our location. Pike Place Market is only 5-6 blocks away and with the new Light Rail train just a block away, it's easier than ever to get around the city!
Grasonville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Had issues at check-in. Staff tried to tell us that 4 people can sleep in a King room. I confirmed in April by phone and email that I had a room for 4. Room is not convention friendly. The only mirror was in the bathroom. Bathroom door has a frosted glass panel in it. You could land an airplane using the light around the mirror. Made it difficult to sleep, if someone had to use it during the night. Morning #1: alarm went off --it was left on from the person before us. Morning #2: We received a wake up call we didn't ask for. Morning #3: Maid knocked on the door around 8am. We were there 7 nights and had to call everyday for 2 extra sets of towels. Shower had a small basket to hold soap, could not fit much in it so we had to put stuff on the ground. Bathroom needed another towel bar. Room did not have many drawers to hold clothes. When we tried to use the blow dryer in the room so someone else could shower a fuse kept blowing. For a green hotel, they had the heat blasting in public areas. The locker room, pool & hot tub were nice. It would have been helpful if the hotel posted how to get a key for the locker in the locker room. Did find the front desk associates particularly friendly. Concierge Earl was awesome. Valets were great as well.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Thanks for taking time to write a review. I am sorry that the room you received was not suitable for your group. I also apologize that the alarm clock had been left on, that should be checked. As well, the erroneous wake-up call and early knocking by the housekeeper are things do not fit with our standards and should not have happened. I can assure you that the hotel is the most energy efficient in the city, however, so if you felt heat blasting it was a random occurrence. Thank you for the nice comments about Earl and the Front Desk team. We get many nice comments from attendees to events at the convention center next door so I was disappointed that we let you down. I hope that we have the chance to make it up to you in the future.

Been to Hyatt At Olive 8? Share your experiences!