“very solid, nice modern hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast for Two
Ranked #20 of 95 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Phoenix, Arizona
“very solid, nice modern hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel is very nice. Very bright muted colors. The hotel has a european feel because of their green initiatives the have the key slot you have to insert your key into to have power, duel flush toilets. and just that modern european feel. BUt overall it is a very nice property.
Pros:
Location, very near downtown, easy walk to any where.
friendly staff.
good housekeeping
large windows allows a lot of light in when you want it.
amazing connectivity, power by the bed to charge phone, hook ups for your computer or ipad to hook into the tv.
very clean, very comfortable rooms

Cons:
Towels seem like they came out of a 20 year old hotel a 20 year old Very sad little hotel.
room temperature hard to find a happy ground, was either hot or cold.

overall I would stay here again. Gladly. Very nice hotel, very nice location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Located at the centre of Seattle, it's at walking distance to various shopping malls and Pike Place Market. This is not the typical great grand hotel, but it's simple, clean and comfortable. Services are good, the staff is friendly. One minor thing might be that the choice at the snack bar is a bit limited. Having said that, we did not require much services or attention during our short stay (2 nights), hence haven't been able to comment on their other facilities.

But I like the concept of eco-friendly, and will definitely go back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Another great stay in Seattle! The Hyatt is right in the downtown core and close to all the attractions. The rooms are spacious and clean, and I loved their restaurant and happy hour menu. The customer service here is wonderful and overall this hotel was a great experience!

Room Tip: Great happy hour with yummy local food. Don't miss it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I debated if I should post a long review or just a short one, but decided to post a long one in hopes to help some people debating if they should stay at the Grand Hyatt or this new, Eco-friendly Olive 8. Something to note is that I am Hyatt Diamond, and also elite with SPG and Hilton, so my expectations are different than most regular customers(Free breakfast, internet, upgrades etc.). That being said, this is the best property I have stayed in North America. I'll write the review on the 8 things Tripadvisor grades properties by. I'm here right now.

I booked two rooms, one for 5 nights and another for 2 nights in between. I used Diamond suite upgrade certificates for both, and that entitled me to a Luxury King/Suite.

Service: Check in was a breeze, they have a dedicated elite check in line. Front desk was extremely friendly, told me about the breakfast/internet and if I wanted points or amenity(which is usually some food/beverage in room). I asked if the governors suite was available(Next suite level up), and it was not. They told me the presidential was.

Without asking, the FD young lady asked the front desk manager to give me a tour of the presidential suite. I asked about the governors suite as I wanted to treat my dad and possibly upgrade him if the price was right from the normal suite I would have got with the suite upgrade, but I knew the presidential suite would be out of my price range. He still gave me a personal tour, and told me that he will have the front desk call me with an offer, and that the hotel takes care of it's diamond members.

Soon after, I received the call and the same FD lady gave me a reasonable offer for the room for the two nights that my dad would be here. Although the price was more than fair enough, I didn't find the value to pay for it because I thought the suite he was going to receive anyways was more than sufficient and I'd rather take him to nice dinners/lunches the whole time he was here. When I told her that, she said that the concierge would take care of reservations and recommendations, and that they will put him in the prez suites for no charge. Wow!

Value: I'm here in winter so it's excellent value. I have paid double, even triple for best westerns in the past if that puts it into perspective ;).

Sleep Quality: The Grand bed is nice, but I did have some problems with people above me jumping around and listening to loud music. Not the hotels fault, and they were quiet within an hour or so(I didn't complain but someone probably else did).

Cleanliness: 5 stars. From the Gym to the change rooms, everything is clean.

Location: In my opinion, the best in seattle. Walking distance to the Market, space needle, and the Westlake Link station. Also walking distance to department stores and malls like Nordstrom and Barneys NY. It was also a nice surprise to be here during thanksgiving and watching the parade from my suite.

Rooms: The Luxury King/Suite is very large, a lot of hallway space. The furniture is very modern and new compared to the Grand Hyatt, and the room is also very large. It had a deep soaker tub, a separate walk in rain shower, dual sinks w/ a TV built into the mirror and bose speakers in the ceiling of the bathroom. Marble throughout. View was OK on the 15th floor, but the Olive 8 isn't known for it's view. Grand Hyatt does have a better view, but that's basically it.

The Presidential suite... It's actually not that much larger than the Luxury King(I think about 1800 compared to 1000), but it is beautiful. Not the biggest prez suite, but it is appointed very well. Hardwood floors, Fire place, dining table for 10, smaller dining table for 4, a wet bar w/ a espresso machine(Espresso=Luxury in my opinion), a guest bathroom and an office with an iMac. The master bathroom is basically the same, except it has a marble vanity with vanity mirror, a much larger walk in shower and a very large walk in closet. Of course the size of the bathroom is bigger. The bedroom is basically identical. There is tons of closet space throughout, a safe and also a microwave. I don't think I would pay $1500 a night compared to the standard suite that goes for $300~, but the upgrade was really appreciated as my Dad really deserves it(Works hard and rarely goes on holidays). It would be an excellent suite to host a small party, a meeting or interviews.

Spa: I haven't used the spa yet, but it is a luxury Spa. The gym is state of the art(nicer than a real gym I use at home), and the pool is a salt water lap pool. Even the change rooms/showers are very nicely appointed and extremely spacious.

Breakfast: This is where Hyatt Olive 8 is different from all other Hyatts and makes it the best. They don't have a lounge for continental breakfast like most other Hyatts, just the restaurant Urbane. As a diamond member, I received complimentary breakfast for myself and guests registered in my room, up to 4 people. The breakfast is anything off the breakfast/brunch menu in Urbane, juice and coffee, tax+gratuity included. The gratuity is REAL gratuity, 20%(I always make sure as I believe you should still tip for a free breakfast), so there is no out of pocket expense for the Diamond breakfast. Unbelievable.

I also inquired if it were possible to have breakfast delivered in room for the diamond breakfast the morning my dad flies out, as he has a very early flight and it would take too much time to go downstairs and order. I wasn't expecting it to be OK, but they said no problem, and specifically noted to have it delivered on time. Tax + Gratuity included. This is not a published benefit of the Hyatt Diamond breakfast, but it shows how Hyatt Olive 8 goes above and beyond for their guests.

In conclusion, there is nowhere I would look but the Hyatt Olive 8. Although the Grand Hyatt and Olive 8 are managed by the same people, the room, service, breakfast and almost everything except the view is superior at the Olive 8. I won't name call but everyone that I interacted and spoke to at the front desk, the front desk manager that gave me the upgrade and tour, the bartender/waitresses at urbane, and the house keeping/maintenance staff, thank you for a memorable stay and the top notch service. I'd like to say they set the standard for all Hyatt properties, but they are too far above it so it doesn't seem realistic ;).

Oh and one last thing, it is a Regency property(Which is considered not as luxury as a Grand or Park Hyatt), but it reminds me of an Andaz. I am very surprised it isn't an Andaz, it probably has a few requirement that it does not fulfill but it deserves to be one for sure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

What a great hotel! The location is superb - right off of a major shopping area and close (if you enjoy walking) to many of Seattle's attractions. The room was clean, large, and modern. The hotel offers two Happy Hours daily (one in early evening and the other late night). Since we arrived around 10:00pm, we took advantage of the $4 drafts and reduced price bar food ($2 sliders, $4 decadent mac and cheese, etc.). It was a perfect way to take the edge off. A wonderful breakfast was included daily in our room rate - Urbane Restaurant offers a selection of local and traditional fare (highly recommend the omelette with smoked salmon and the tall stack of blueberry pancakes). The presentation is wonderful and the taste is sublime. Service was friendly and efficient. We did take the light rail from Sea-Tac to hotel. It was simple (took time to get from terminal to rail platform) and cheap ($2.25 one way). We would have used it on the return, but the light rail's hours of operation didn't work with our very early departure time. On the last night, we had a group of partiers next door who were obnoxiously loud, but we did not let that spoil our two perfect days in Seattle. When we return, we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

If you ever need to travel to Seattle for business or holiday the Hyatt at Olive 8 is a really good hotel. Close to everything, with good facilities the hotel was fine except for Room 662. This pigeon hole they called a room was more a laundry cupboard than a room you would expect at a Hyatt

Room Tip: change if you get 662
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

First, let me say this is my very first review on TripAdvisor. My colleague and I stayed here while attending a conference. I had reserved the premier room with 2 queen beds. I was promptly greeted upon arrival by the valet staff. The front desk staff was just as friendly and helpful. The room was on the corner and was huge! There was a panoramic view of the streets surrounding the room. The bed was so comfortable-like sleeping on a cloud. The pillows were super soft and cozy. Plus, there was plenty of room for our suitcases. We thought we would need help getting our "presentation" to the Convention Center (2 blocks away) and asked the concierge for suggestions. He offered to take it over for us on a cart! How is that for customer service?! The housekeeping staff was just as helpful and accommodating. The only complaint I have was about the last night of our stay. Our "neighbors" decided to have a "party" complete with loud music and talking, laughing, hollering. We hoped they would quieten down since it was 2:00 AM but the noise went on until around 3:00 or 4:00. When I checked out, the lady asked me about my stay. I told her it was outstanding except for that one incident (which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the hotel itself). She became very apologetic and actually "reprimanded" me for not calling the front desk so they could alert security. :-) She apologized numerous times and even took care of the valet charge for me because of the incident. I was absolutely blown away by this. She did not in any way have to do that. Hyatt Olive 8 truly went above and beyond for us. I always try to stay at Hyatt properties while traveling because of the quality of the rooms and the service. However, this hotel brought excellent customer service to a whole new level. They deserve the "Best Hyatt Hotel Award!"

Room Tip: Premier Rooms are at the end of the hall and offer panoramic views. Make sure to request a higher fl...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt At Olive 8? Share your experiences!